Author Topic: Plugged fuel line  (Read 8770 times)

Offline bback58

Plugged fuel line
« on: July 15, 2009, 08:54:30 pm »
I've been having trouble with my car the past few weeks  The engine would start cutting out in the corners and it progressively got worse.  I kept figuring it was an electrical problem and we tried a few fixes, but they did not work.  Took it to our dealer and he found that the foam in the fuel cell had pretty much completely deteriorated and was nothing but mush in the bottom of the cell.  The foam piece at the top had pieces flaking off but was in one piece.  Anyway the fuel pickup line had a bunch of foam bits sucked up into it and was completely plugged.  It let enough fuel through and the car seemed to run great in the pits and the first couple of laps of the race and then started acting up.  I would have thought that a plugged fuel line would have shown up more on the start of the race and going down the straightaways instead of the corners.   I don't think my car has been working good all year long, but I kind of attributed that to my old tired motor with 130 nights on it.  Maybe I will be up for some better finishes now.

Anyway,  I just thought I would mention it.   In all the times I have been going to a couple of these Legends discussion sites, I don't believe I've seen this problem mentioned.  The funny thing is that my car is less than 4 years old and I only use pump gas in the cell.   

The last couple of weeks of DNF's really sucked.  I'm ready to go racing again!!!

Brian B

Gimpster

Re: Plugged fuel line
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 09:34:46 pm »
LOL, Brian, I have a  fuel cell foam laying on a shelf  in my garage....

We pulled it out of my old sedan back in 2004 when it started to plug fuel filters.

Started acting up the night we raced indoors at the Civic Center.

Nobody mentioned to me you were having problems, they mentioned you were going to quit after Minot  that one night though and asked if I wanted to buy your chassis

----- Gimpster -----

Offline bback58

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 10:34:34 pm »
That night in Minot during the red flag I said to myself, "I quit".  I've seen too many bad wrecks the past month or so and was going to pull in when they lifted the red flag, but decided to finish the race to get full pay even though the car was running shitty.  After a few nights sleep I don't think I am ready to quit yet, but I am going to do a bit less traveling.  With running around to 35 races a season the past 3 years this is becoming like a job and I need to take a little time off and do a few other things on weekends.  I think next year I  will  stick to running Mandan and a few of the "special" races.  I guess we will see what next year brings.
Brian B

Gimpster

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 12:01:45 am »
 LOL, sounds like us 3 years ago. Burned out from all the races and looking for the end of the season. The big wreck ended that sooner than later.
We quit, went to mini sprints for a break.
Talk about fuel problems.... Alky bladders in the tail tank coming apart and lunching motors leaning out the injection.
Dave told me he was talking to Wanda in the pits one night in Mandan, she wandered from my shop to the fence outside where he was pitting. He told me "Gimp, Wanda misses it" So I asked her if I could pick up another Legend and race now and then, not full time.
 That is how we ended up buying this one.

I agree, a break will do you good like it did us. Don't quit though !

I asked Ivan if he prefered I apply for Masters or Pro. Makes no difference to me. He suggested Masters. I then told him I am not running for points and that BS.... We are in it this time for fun, Something that I lost along the way last time was the fun aspect.

Looking foreward to running with you this season a few times

Good luck at Wishek if you go.... $1500 purse friday ?

----- Gimpster -----

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 12:20:53 pm »
I replaced the foam in my street stock and modified every couple of years just to be safe.  After two years I would start to see bits of it in the fuel filter.  This is one reason why I started using take apart fuel filters.  The ethanol in the pump gas might actually break down the foam faster.   

Offline bback58

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 03:37:23 pm »
We don't have ethanol in our regular and premium gas here and I haven't used any of it yet.  I will have to check the fuel cell every couple of years I guess.   I was really surprised on how bad this stuff was degraded.
Brian B

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 08:09:58 pm »
It has always been suggested to check fuel cell foam in the off season. Can anyone confirm or deny that the alky fuel cell foam would have a longer life when using gasoline? Just curious.

Thanks for passing on the heads up Brian!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Gimpster

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 08:14:29 pm »
In the tail tank of my sprint, an alky bladder would come apart if regular fuel was used in it

----- Gimpster -----

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 08:18:20 pm »
Thanks Gimpster! Was thinking that it wouldn't work.
Anyone every try using the plastic balls instead of fuel cell foam?
Not the same as using foam but is supposed to help with the fuel sloshing around.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 11:05:52 am »
Some of the fuel cell foam on the market is safe with gas and alky and some is not.  The replacement foam I got for the modified was from Speedway and was advertised to work with both fuels.  With the little fuel cell on these cars, it would be pretty inexpensive to replace the foam every couple of years just to be safe.   

Gimpster

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 11:57:17 am »
 I was wondering if  Fuel Safe didn't get an alky tank mixxed in with the batch to 600 ?

I know it took 2 seasons for my tail tank bladder to start coming apart on my sprint. Could be the case with Brian's cell

----- Gimpster -----

anything