Author Topic: Starting a hot engine  (Read 5591 times)

Offline JGRacing

Starting a hot engine
« on: April 03, 2009, 06:40:24 pm »
Is it normal for these engines not to want to fire up when they are hot?  I had to idle for awhile in the pits waiting to go onto the track for practice, and when I stalled it (geting adjusted to the clutch :)) it did not want to turn back over.  Should I be taking a look at my battery and starter, or is this normal?  The wrecker driver was a little confused when he went to push start me and my bumper was 6 inches lower than his.  I think I owe a few people beers for push starting me by hand.   :)

Offline thunder938

Re: Starting a hot engine
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 06:56:15 pm »
i never have had a problem.  After a main the winner pulls up to the flag stand for interview and photos and i have not scene a car NOT start..Check your bat.  These car do eat bat. , so if your is old it may be time
Dave

Offline apm motorsports

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 07:35:20 pm »
any thing from loose ground to bad starter. pull off starter see if it it hard to turn. check all connections. from battery to starter. the time it happen to me it was a loose ground on the hold down battery bolt.  Run a sep ground to the motor case   

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 08:36:49 pm »
Make sure to check the connections to the starter solenoid, have had issues there before myself, heat shouldnt be an issue though
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 08:41:09 pm »
After checking all of your electrical connections and making sure the battery is good; then I would say it is time for a new starter. The field coil(s) within the starter build resistance as they get hot and more resistance as they age.

Good Luck, Randy
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

anything