Author Topic: Mounting a seat in a bubble top coupe  (Read 18010 times)

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
Mounting a seat in a bubble top coupe
« on: January 13, 2009, 04:56:08 pm »
I just got a bubble top 40's coupe.  Anyone with a 37 or 40 coupe I need your help.  The problem I have is mounting the seat.  I had a 20 degree and put it in and had no leg room.  I like leg room.  So I bought a 10 degree seat.  What happens now is the seat wants to come out the 2 bars behind my head.  Does anyone have pics or ideas?

Offline thunder938

Re: Mounting a seat in a bubble top coupe
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 05:47:34 pm »
That is the problem with the round top coupes.., but they are light.  You have to be a smaller driver to fit in one. I am 6 3 @ about 250 with long legs, there is no way I can get in one, with or with the seat in the car.
Dave

Offline DanH

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 06:30:36 pm »
Yeah your going to struggle to do that I have a 10 degree in mine now but im not that tall of a person. What my dad has just done is nicked my seat out of my car which looks like this:

http://www.corbeau-seats.co.uk/sports_series.htm

He has modified the steering column so the wheel is higher and he is 5 11. This is with the seat bolted to the floor though.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 11:46:38 pm »
RB,

Regardless of what some will tell you, I think there is less space in a coupe.

I bought the stock Legends seat... And will just have to see how it works out.
I'm 5'9" and  shy of 150#. So I'm not a very tall or large guy!

You may have to shorten the steering column, or position your seat, to get the right fit.
Sorry! Don't have any pics that would help you.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 12:26:58 am »
150 lbs?  Heck, I have belly button lint heavier than that!

Eat something!

Mike
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline jgrimracing

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 12:34:09 am »
I have seen alot of the round tops with the top of the seat out the back window.  Have not looked to see where the drivers head is???
We had a problem with leg room in a sedan chassis with the steering support cut high and a 20degree seat.  We cut the seat and made it more like 15 degrees then put it behind the cross member directly on the floor of the car and against the rear sheet metal.  Maybe that would work in the coupe, I don't know.  Like thunder above my driver is not fitting in one of those coupes without a seat!  He does not run any padding in his seat, if he did I think the cover would need some moods for the angle change as well.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 01:00:52 am »
Ya, Sorry! I lost a few pounds.  :-[
I DO plan on hanging my walker on the left side of the car.
Hope that counts for something!

:D :D :D
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 09:02:34 am »
Hey Dan H do you have any pics of the seat mounted in the car?  The steering shaft is in the right spot and when I put the seat back far enough I get the right amount of leg room but then the seat is against the 2 bars at the back.  I was thinking of taking a notch out of the seat to get it to fit between the two bars.

The coupe definatly has lass room in it.  My sedan was very confortable with a 20 degree seat in it.  I am 5'8" and 200lbs but like you said the coupe is very light.

Offline thunder938

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 09:10:36 am »
The flat top coupes have the same room inside as the the sedans. The round top coupe have the same seat mounting points, its the round top that gives the driver no head room.  So, the seat is then moved forward or laid down for head room then no leg room.  I have long legs and I have a sedan with a 10 deg. seat.  I had a 20 deg and it moved the seat bottem too far forward and me knees were hitting the wheel. 

Now a 10 deg kerkey seat that is only about 18 inches from front to back, that is the shortest I have found, 1.5 inches longer steering shaft, and a 1.5 spacer on the wheel.  With a full 3 inches longer steering shaft it was hard to get in and out.

My seat is on the floor and back flush with the rear "firewall"

These cars keep me in shape over the winter, one burger too many and I dont fit..LOL
Dave

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 09:51:37 am »
I have discovered how much tighter the bubble top coupe is.  I am trying to lose weight.  I am down 5 lbs in the last 2 weeks.  I always wanted a bubble top coupe so now I have to fit in it :-)

I did pick up the 10 degree seat which seems to give the leg room I need.  I have the head room as well it is just the Kirkey is so tall it sits against those two bars and then it will not go back to the back wall.

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 10:58:16 am »
Bend the headrest on the seat to match the curve of the bars on the roll cage.  I have seen some of the guys by us do that.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 11:01:49 am »
but then wouldn't it push my head forward so I am no longer lying back?

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 02:20:23 pm »
I am trying to figure out the angle for my new seat and at 10 degrees in my sedan, my helmet is less than an inch from the roof bars without rollbar padding on them yet.  20 degrees makes for not much leg room but at least my head won't hit the bars in a accident.  I am only 5' 10", so not sure how you taller guys are able to do it. 

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 02:49:23 pm »
I just suck it up and dont have much leg room in my sedan, I am lucky that I am relatively short at 5'9".  My seat is a 20deg and I have it laid down like it was in my late model and doesnt give me much leg room.  My throttle foot sometimes falls asleep under caution with the bad angle when off the throttle.  I cant imagine what it would be like in a coupe.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline DanH

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 05:10:43 pm »
Hey Dan H do you have any pics of the seat mounted in the car?  The steering shaft is in the right spot and when I put the seat back far enough I get the right amount of leg room but then the seat is against the 2 bars at the back.  I was thinking of taking a notch out of the seat to get it to fit between the two bars.

Not as yet but ill pop down the workshop friday and take a few for you. What type of seat are you using? brand/deg?