Author Topic: Fuel  (Read 9106 times)

Offline TER

Fuel
« on: February 01, 2015, 09:06:26 am »
What are people running for fuel. I see guys running VP ML98 but have concerns running a leaded fuel on a sealed motor. I don't want to have lead build up on valves.

Offline Vern Houseman

Re: Fuel
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 09:17:54 am »
I use single engine air plane fuel has lead and no ethanol been using it for years
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 09:22:01 am »
Since we are in an ethanol mandated area, I run a mix of 87 unleaded and Rocket 112 octane leaded race gas.
When I am able to get non-ethanol fuel, I buy 93 octane and use a lead additive.
MS98 is an option, but it's pricey if I recall.

JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 09:25:59 am »
The tracks we run require us to run their fuel and it is 89-93 octane without ethanol.

Robert

Offline Gimpster

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 12:31:47 am »
 hahahahaha... carbon build up on valves from leaded fuel.... Jet your carbs right and you won't have that issue. That's the bottom line.
Want to see carbon build up on valves ?? Tear down a 4.0 liter v-6 that has a lean burn fuel injection system that ran E-85 fuel through it and you will see a carbon problem on valves !!
From the past 30+ years of being in the motorcycle industry, on air cooled bike engines that ran leaded fuel as compared to ethonal based fuels in various engine platforms, the ethonal engines had WAY more valve issues of the carbon build up variety from not having the lead in the fuel and it's lubricity to keep stuff cool. Ethonal based motors run such higher combustion temps to ignite that crap. Want to know where your carbon issue on valves is coming from ?? The valve guide seals are shot from being over heated and leaking oil onto the back side of the valves. Leaded fuel causing it my ass.. that's a wives tail...geezuz. Tune your motor right...

~Gimpster~  

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 06:29:27 am »
The other plus side to aircraft fuel (1ooLL) is that you can leave it in your car for months and it will not cause any problems. We ran track that mandated fuel but didn't run it because it is junk fuel and they charged WAY to much for it. Don't run for points or anything so if they want to DQ's me then go ahead. My carbs are worth more than the prize money. Besides they don't check anyway and is just way of making a couple of dollars off of you.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline djracing

• Global Moderator
    • DJ Ross Racing
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 05:16:23 pm »
93 BP and Shell pumps around here are marked No Ethanol and that's what we use.

Offline NDlegend93

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 10:11:43 pm »
Something to keep in mind is this... If it's under 10% ethenol it does not have to be reported.  Meaning if it says no ethenol it still may contain less then 10%. All fuel is hauled in the same tanks and pipe lines.  They are not scrubbed out prior to changing types.     
Embrace your haters, they are the ones that fuel your fire to do good.

anything