Author Topic: Fuse holders  (Read 8024 times)

Offline Legends16

Fuse holders
« on: January 30, 2015, 04:57:59 pm »
Hello everyone,

While working on the legend car in the offseason I had a thought. Reaching behind the dash board looking for a fuse can be a pain in the butt depending on the car and how its wired. Ive got a fuse for the alternator and gear indicator under there along with a fuse for a motor cooling fan. Had anyone gone and mounted fuse holders to the dashboard? The canister kind that twists and you can pull the fuse right out. That way if you suspect a problem or blow a fuse its in plain sight instead of fishing around under the dashboard on your back or hands and knee's.. I was wondering if anyone has done this. Pro's, con's or concerns about vibration?

Question number two. Ive got a sertab oil cooler with large fan that clamps onto the back of it. Should this fan  have a fuse wired into it as well?

Thanks guys,

Eric

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Fuse holders
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 06:40:41 pm »
I don't see a need for any extra fuses. the Setrab fan doesn't need one. The only fuse on my car (run on dirt and wet all the time) is the alternator.
Personally, I would like to go with a plexiglass or clear acrylic  dashboard for the same reason, ease of sight to all the wiring, but alas, Scott from INEX said I would have to send it in for his approval
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 06:48:39 pm »
As I am not bound by INEX rules; All my fuses and wiring will be mounted directly above the foot box at the cowling area. As Jim said; Should not be a need for too many fuses.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 08:24:17 pm »
IMO...Only down side to not having hardly any fuses in a wiring harness is that if you ever have a short in your wiring and believe me, it sometimes happens, you will melt any wires associated with the short.   This is often a pain in the butt as sometimes can take out entire wiring harness or even start a small fire.  I have my main 12 VDC supply, alternator, and fuel pump fused.  A fuse for a the Setrab fan is not a bad idea depending on how much current they draw.  Again, you can install fuses at your discretion, but would recommend fuse holders for the newer style plastic fuses. The newer style fues holders seal much better and are less prone to spring failure or coming loose at the most inopportune time.   Good luck!
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 08:29:33 pm »
I get your point Mark. I think that you are still suggesting the same thing; Minimal fuses.
All wiring harnesses will need some fuses.
I think what he is getting at is how to make it convienient to get to his fuses.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Gimpster

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 12:40:08 am »
 Fuses are for rich kids to waste money on. I run sections of fusible link wire where needed. Don't need to use all that fuse holder hardware crap that you need surgical ability to open a holder up to change a fuse in the dark and zip tie it back up so it don't hang down under the dash after you mess with fuses. Besides all that fuse hardware adds weight that you don't need. Never had an issue using fusible link wire cuz it acts like a slow blow fuze.. Just my 2 cents worth on topic

~Gimpster~