Author Topic: swapping tires  (Read 14609 times)

Offline Bentracin

swapping tires
« on: December 07, 2014, 01:55:39 am »

Can you take your right side cut tires when they are getting worn on outside and swap them over to the left side for more life out of tire?

Offline chadvarner85

Re: swapping tires
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 07:20:18 am »
If you dismount and remount they correct... and going in the correct direction... we have done this in the past because you will never burn up a set of left sides so we would swap from left to right, and right to left... big money saver if you are on a budget. But be careful because the tires will get hard before they get wore out most of the time

Offline knoxracing

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 09:31:38 am »
IF you are on a super tight budget, do not expect to be competitive. Tires are almost the most critical item on the car. Stagger will be a problem, yes there is very little stagger to start, but there is a method to the tire cutting madness! The fastest cars in the country run tires one to two events. The reason- the worst thing you do to yourself is chase the setup weekly with tire wear and track conditions. Not many can or want to spend this kind of money, but there is knowledge gained from this system.
DENNIS KNOX
Buckeye Legends
Official USLC Dealer - Ohio
330-310-9212

Offline chadvarner85

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 12:25:48 pm »
I agree if you want to win races you don't want to do this method but IMO you can run around the top 5 outside of charlotte area doing this. I have, but now I just replace the right sides and leave the lefts on the whole season

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 07:17:12 pm »
Chad  you run Dirt or Asphalt I was figuring I could leave my lefts on longer even on the asphalt.

I will making my first tire purchase in the coming weeks. I was planning on buying two sets to get me started and would supplemnt fro then on.

Two sets may be more than needed if the lefts don't wear.
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 11:23:15 pm »
He runs asphalt. Dirt tires last forever as long as the track isn't black.  I won a feature with 50 race old left sides on dirt this year
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Gimpster

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 11:28:19 pm »
I gotta ask Jim.. how much stagger did those seasoned 50 race old tires gain from new... LOL

~Gimp~

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 12:53:10 am »
I'm feeling a sudden desire to try dirt.
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

Offline chadvarner85

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 07:26:16 am »
I would not recommend getting two sets upfront... the only thing worse than tire wear is hardness.... unless your going to race ALOT of races right away get one set and maybe a couple of used spares off someone. These tires get hard sitting around so  I would just get the tires as needed, you should be able to get a set cut and shipped in a couple of days... besides your going to find that unless your the next Kyle Larson these cars take some time to get use to and you can prob run one set your whole first year...

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 08:53:51 am »
I gotta ask Jim.. how much stagger did those seasoned 50 race old tires gain from new... LOL

~Gimp~

No tire size gain, but yes, stagger gain due to wear, and the durometer readings stayed the same as when new
:)
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline Gimpster

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 03:54:23 pm »
Awww... I see, you have kept them aired down even after heat cycling...

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 06:47:34 pm »
Awww... I see, you have kept them aired down even after heat cycling...
Absolutely. They have never been over 12psi except when they were mounted
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline Gimpster

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 06:32:57 pm »
Key word mounting.... I will beat around the bush here a little since it is so dead on the forum. I had purchased some AR's early in 2013.  While feeling well enough to mount up some tires,  I dismounted 4 sets of BFG's from Bassett rims and one set of BFG's from the cheap chrome rims I have.  Mounted 3 AR's on chrome rims and aired them down after seating the beads. Then came the bead lock rim. slipped a 72 inch tire over it, aired it up to set the beads, checked the air pressure and it was at 30 pounds. Regardless, I had strained one of the cancer spots in my colon and went into severe convulsions of the internal variety from the excessive blood  build up inside, and hustled into the house. 3 months later after simply doing minor things here and there, I needed to move that Legends chassis and went to mount the Ar's on it. All the tires had air pressures of 4 to 10 in them except the right rear that I was mounting when I went down. For kicks I measured the stagger change. It had grown to 74 1/4" after being heat cycled from the summer temps and the 30 pounds of air. Chuckled and thought to myself "This will be a tire to cure one of them rev limiter nights ". (on my sprint with Hoosier or AR's I used to stagger tires with this simple meathod)
 Basically that is why I asked how much those tires of yours, with 50 races on them, had grown after heat cycling... evidently you are running heavier right side weight in your set-up and the aired down left sides confirms not a lot of weight transfer on the left and coolness if those tires never grew from heat..LOL you dont have an issue of pushing up towards the wall coming off of corners do ya ?? (reminds me, I should pick up 3 or 4 more sets of Legends AR's)
Thanks dude.... peace out and ttyl..

~Gimpster~

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 05:26:42 am »
Chad, or any other Asphalt guy. What shluld new tires punch on the durometer Vs. tires who have been considered too hard and should be tossed?

Offline chadvarner85

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 07:08:39 am »
The rule allows them to be down to 58... I have never tested one at that.... all mine I think are in the area of 65... I think.,.. don't really test them anymore... once they have been heated and sit for a few months they are pretty much junk.... that's the rule we go by anyways, there are probably more people on here with ALOT more knowledge on here than me on this...