Author Topic: Not For Profit Racing  (Read 7133 times)

Offline Grimace

Not For Profit Racing
« on: November 17, 2014, 07:37:57 pm »
I'm sure the folks here who've been into racing for awhile saw the title and wanted to jump in and clarify that there is never any profit in racing.   ;D  But that's not what I wanted to ask about.

The first question my mother asked me when I mentioned looking into Legends cars was, "Well how will you paint it?" This lead to a fun discussion where I mentioned all the options, from generic wraps, to applying a coat of chalkboard paint and just letting kids draw on the car before the race, to rattle can finishes and gel coats and everything else. But then I had this idea, and I think it's a pretty good one...

I'm assuming most folks running Legends aren't getting any massive sponsorship. So the thought occurred to me, why not contact a charity and ask for their permission to advertise them on your car? You might even be able to deduct the value as a charitable contribution.

I bring this up for a couple of reasons. #1) If you are fortunate to have something that people like looking at, why not use it for some good? #2) You would still have a fair amount of control as to what is placed on the car and its appearance. #3) I just think it'd be cool to see a race with these silly cool little cars running around with serious sponsorship... even if it's not paid, it can still have value. And #4) I bet most paint shops and decal places would cut you a little break on pricing if you explained that it's for charity.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Not For Profit Racing
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 08:12:58 pm »
We have a few members that sponsor charities. They take a percentage of the sponsorship that they get and send it to the charity. They put decals on the car and truly belive in the charity that they are donating to. I have seen members paint their car pink for breast cancer; put paws all over their car for animal causes. and still have "serious" sponsors.It's all what you choose to do and how you want to present yourself as a racing team. I have donated to several racers that donate to a cause.

Welcome to the site!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Not For Profit Racing
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 11:14:38 pm »
I donated my car to the Wisconsin Humane Society this year.

Sold paw prints that people could have their names, dogs names, legendsracer.com (thanks Steve) etc. on.
After cost of the new body, vinyl, pictures, postage, etc, I lost about $800.00 doing it. In my case, it can't be written off because it was not a direct contribution, it is a loss while conducting a fundraiser for a 3rd party.

Glad I could help out the Humane Society and have some fun in the process, but I can't afford to do it again this year.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/