Author Topic: Seat type  (Read 19430 times)

Offline Legend79

Seat type
« on: February 01, 2014, 07:31:38 am »
Is there anyway telling what degree lay back my seat is? I sat in another car and that was a ten degree and my legs were much more stretched out, also would a more upright seat give more head room?

Offline IraceLegends77

Re: Seat type
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 07:38:25 am »
Yes sitting upright gives you more leg room but be mindful of your head and how close it is the cage. Also don't for get that some of your head room will be taken up by your helmet. I like to have at least 4" of  distance from the top of the cage but the more the better. I'm 5'8" and use a 20 degree seat in a sedan. My legs are not as stretched out as I would like but would prefer the  head room.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline Legend79

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 08:33:02 am »
I'm really struggling getting this seat in a position I'm happy with, it's on the floor and my helmet is close to the cage I'm also only 5ft 8 is like to have he seat high enough to see the front inside tyre but can't get no where near the height in the seat, the other guys I race with seem to be more upright my cars a 4 bar sedan

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 04:03:18 pm »
I can barely see the hood pin. I try and get as low as I can in the car and still see the guy in front of me. There is no way you should be able to get the seat high enough to see tire. Well maybe you could but you would have to cut a hole in the roof.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 07:37:34 pm »
I'm really struggling getting this seat in a position I'm happy with, it's on the floor and my helmet is close to the cage I'm also only 5ft 8 is like to have he seat high enough to see the front inside tyre but can't get no where near the height in the seat, the other guys I race with seem to be more upright my cars a 4 bar sedan

I don't think that it is physically possible to be able to see the front tires while seated in a Legends car, you can't even see the front tires in a Midget
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline NCSU_racer

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 08:26:41 am »
I'm with Scott on this. I sit just high enough to see the hood pin. I'm 5'-6" and the bottom off my seat is a few inches off the floor.
Zack B.
Raleigh, NC

Offline Legend79

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 04:02:14 pm »
Maybe what I'm trying to achieve isn't possible in the legend car, have to get used to not seeing much past the end of the hood, not done much racing before n would feel more comfortable seeing more out front but will get used to it I suppose

Offline Legends16

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 04:36:49 pm »
Yeah, thats pretty much it.

I'm 6ft 2 inches. Taller people often battle with seat positioning in these cars. My seat is all the way back against the wall in my sedan and Im about level if not just above the hood pin (line of sight).  My helmet  is somewhat close to the roll bar. Ive also wear a Bell helmet and IMO is a tad larger in daimeter compared to some of the other helmets out there.

For a while I moved the seat around trying to get more headroom but the more I did the more of the issue of my legs cramping up and also the issue of difficulty getting in and out of the car due to the bottom of seat reclining forward. I found a happy meduim which pretty much got me back where I started. You really wont be looking over the hood of these cars and you really wont be able to see the fenders. Its just the way it is.

Offline Legend79

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 08:23:32 am »
Is there any way of checking the layback on the seat?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 09:10:10 am »
Angle finder or a protractor.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 11:20:21 am »
Most seat manufactures have there numbers stamped in the seat
Should have size, model and any other info that is important to that seat. Look at seat makers web site for what the number mean.

Offline JMitch77

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 08:20:52 pm »
Didn't want to start a new thread since this one was already here related to seats. Just curious as to what kind of seats everyone is running in their cars. I currently have a Kirkey economy 10 degree seat I used in my street stock, which doesn't have any sort of head rests or anything like that. I like the seat and everything but what would you recommend if I were to upgrade to something better? I'm not real familiar with the space constraints inside a legend as I don't have one just yet.

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 08:36:33 pm »
You can add head and knee restraints if you wish. Kirkey sells them.

Robert

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 11:36:44 pm »
You can add head and knee restraints if you wish. Kirkey sells them.

Robert

What Robert said.
If you like your seat and are comfortable in it, I'd just add the parts. Head, shoulders, whatever you want, they sell to bolt on
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 11:08:30 pm »
If you are not interested in bolt on upgrades, Kirkey, Butler and LaJoie are very popular seats.
There are several topics on seats in past threads. Do a quick search. I can assist you if needed.

I, personally, went with the bolt on upgrades; A halo, shoulder, rib and leg supports.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.