Author Topic: Dirt Nats Update Please  (Read 60447 times)

Offline Earnst85

Re: Dirt Nats Update Please
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2013, 08:03:34 am »
I would like it be at Lincoln speedway in pa , or even charlotte area ?

I agree Lincoln Speedway (Abbottstown, PA) would be the best place for Nationals. At our last Central PA Legends event there, we had 38 cars with another 11 local cars not there (race was re-scheduled from 2 weeks prior).

I think the ultimate thing to do would be have Nationals thurs-sat June 26-28 2014 at Lincoln (PA). Use sunday as a raindate and then have a dirt speedweek for legends. We could combine with 270, 600, and 1000cc microsprints or 600 modifieds to help with track conditions. I think the speedweek could run through the following weekend (sat July 6th).

We have the dirt tracks to do it... 7 tracks we run now (all within 2 hr of each other), 7 more sized for our cars (within 3 hrs), and another 5 too big for legends. No wonder Central PA is such a hot bed for dirt racing (all divisions).
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2013, 08:10:09 am »
Eldora is too fast, will never happen

I felt Eldora was very calm on track. LOTS of room to race & multiple fast grooves. The sense of speed was nothing compared to some of our local short tracks.

Talking to some of the guys that were running the Eldora races, they said it was INEX that shys away from 1/2 mile tracks. Supposedly a combo of safety and wanting to buy speed (motors) at big tracks. That is why Eldora & Knoxville races are rarities.
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2013, 08:27:15 am »
Eldora is too fast, will never happen

I felt Eldora was very calm on track. LOTS of room to race & multiple fast grooves. The sense of speed was nothing compared to some of our local short tracks.

Talking to some of the guys that were running the Eldora races, they said it was INEX that shys away from 1/2 mile tracks. Supposedly a combo of safety and wanting to buy speed (motors) at big tracks. That is why Eldora & Knoxville races are rarities.
That's what I meant, I just didn't word it correctly.
INEX will make a rare exception, but as a rule will not sanction a 1/2 mile track
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline JC38

« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2013, 10:11:54 am »
I know everyone wants it close to them,  But I still think Wheatland Missouri at Lucas oil Diamond of the dirt is the best place.  No local Legends run there. So no b***hing about a advantage for being local. And its by far the nicest dirt track in the nation.   The track has always been a multi groove track at all of there big events and they know how to put on a show.    Back in 06 I believe is when they had it there last,  I just started racing so I don't remember the car count,  but I think there was a good showing and I know there was good racing.  and don't count out Missouri as a good car count.  we have every bit of 30+ cars,  just wish they would all show up at once. haha
Justin Comer #38

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2013, 10:32:45 am »
I would also like to see it somewhere between the major pockets of dirt cars. I know they had it in Indiana one year and I heard good things about that race. We had one here in PA ( Big Diamond)  that was an ONLY legends race and the track was better than a lot of asphalt track that I have raced on. They did run a enduro race after we were done though. I did like the track at Springfield but the show was run very poor. The whole half mile track thing is more a asphalt thing than dirt in my opinion because of speed. I just keep hoping that Tony Stewart's dad can pull something off at Smokes track.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2013, 11:01:50 am »
After Nelsons wreck at Eldora last year, I wouldn't hold my breath Scott. Rumor was they were going to have 4 Legends shows there this year, didn't have any. Don't know if that had anything to do with Nelsons wreck, track schedule, or if it was all just rumor...?

I don't care where its at just so it's warm, or in summer so I could convince my wife it's a family vacation  ;D
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline JC38

« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2013, 11:14:56 am »
Las Cruces New Mexico.  nice weather and a top notch promoter.    or how about Vegas and have the dirt and asphalt nationals back to back weekends.   where ever they have it,  I hope its gets decided early in the year,  so people can make plans to attend.
Justin Comer #38

Offline Brock13

« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2013, 12:31:53 pm »
Pretty sure we will be traveling to Wheatland Mo. next year. Asphalt is in Vegas, and Dirt would be nice, but how many dirt guys would travel to Vegas? We cant get enough out of state guys to travel as it is. No offense to any one in general, but I have been to 10 asphalt, 6 dirt, and 2 road course nationals, and the BIG HITTERS, always travel, but not much participation from smaller teams. Example, this year only a couple PA, ND, MO guys came. I realize logistics and cost, but this is our Championship race, and if car counts dwindle anymore, I don't see it continuing. As far as having it in the summer, that makes no sense, not really a championship, just another race. They don't play the Superbowl before the playoffs... I put the emphasis on the dealer network to push for better participation. I only brought 5 cars, but we race asphalt... Tony had 8 or 9, which makes 15, technically, Minnesota guys, (we claim Shane Williams)  the rest were 24 from Wisconsin and only 3 from neighboring Iowa. Honorable mention to the 2 guys from Washington, long haul award... IF THEY DONT COME, WHATS THE POINT? Everybody needs to put aside all the BS and bickering and get this back on track. Support the sport and support each other. This had to be the "clickiest" nationals I've ever seen. Normally we all pit together, but this was widespread alienation from the locals and the track. No one from the track came by and thanked anyone for coming or did anything to make us all feel welcome, except the pot luck dinner which was a nice touch, but still felt very standoffish. Maybe its just me, but at Elko, and in Missouri, they rolled out the red carpet. Figured that would have set the standard but apparently not. Too much talking behind backs and attempted sabotage, rather trying to have Home field advantage, versus Host Facility.... Did I mention they were going to disqualify me for doing donuts?

Offline JC38

« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2013, 01:12:19 pm »
disqualify?  man its a good thing I didn't win then.  Who knows what I would of done.  lol.  and your right on the Vegas part about people traveling,  We would for sure make it. But we always try to make all the bigger shows.  They need to get it figured out soon so people can make plans to go.    This nationals race needs to be a big deal,  I wish either the dealer from that state where ever the race would be or the track or 600 even,  get some extra sponsors and maybe have the purse a little higher to draw some more cars in.  Always up for suggestions that's for sure. 
Justin Comer #38

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2013, 01:34:51 pm »
They yelled at Joel for doing donuts when he won the Pro race too. They aren't much for extra-curricular activity there, thats all I'll say on that :-X

Not sure about the cliques, sabotage and talking behind peoples backs part. I wasn't able to go to the pot luck dinner that our group (not the track) hosted, so I can't comment on that, and my car was a dump truck all Friday so I couldn't get around and talk to as many people as I wanted to, but I pitted between the Washington guys and an Iowa guy, and lost my crew guy because he was over helping the Iowa guy put his car together after he wrecked in his first heat race. 

I didn't see anything unfriendly other than someone from North Dakota expressing his feelings towards one of the Washington drivers on Saturday, but like I said, I was a little busy.

Maybe folks would share tips with you if you didn't whip their a$$es every year Tim  ;)
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2013, 01:44:15 pm »
My reasoning for summer was just that I think more cars would show. I get your reference to the Superbowl, but I don't see it as a Championship, in my mind its more of an All-Star race, or that's what it seems like it is intended to be. The winner isnt the National Champion, the winner won Nationals. Thats why, in my mind, it could be any time of the year, like the All-Star games are. The winner at Homestead isn't the Nascar champion, he won the last race of the year.

Either way, it is what it is. I'm not a National champion or a Nationals winner, so it doesn't matter either way in my case  :D
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline racintaz99

« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2013, 02:34:36 pm »
I agree that INEX needs to get their act together. They need to get things started in the middle of the year so by the end of the season we would know where the Nationals are going to be for the next year. Many of the teams that race at Beaver Dam have small budgets and can't afford to travel across the US as some do. We all look for that BIG sponsorship so that we have money to race all season and maybe even some special shows but those are hard to find. I for one have a small budget to race on every year. I will use most of the money to race at the local track and if I can fit it in my budget a few specials too if my work schedule allows me to attend. Yes....I have to work a full time job like most people in order to pay the bills and those come first.

As far as the Nationals this year,

All the local teams were pitting where they do all year long ( along the fence ) as you enter the pits. Most of all the out of town teams were already there and picked their spots behind the grandstands, how is that deemed as not being friendly? I was parked in my normal pit stall as I have all year which was right in the middle of the pits and nobody from MN or anybody else from behind the grandstands came to say Hi to us either, so it goes both ways! And yes I met some of the other out of town drivers that were parked among our regular teams and everybody I talked to was very nice and had good things to say.

As for the pot luck dinner, That was hosted by the WLRDS and not the track. I was up there for well over an hour and it seemed to me everybody that was there were sitting around and eating and talking and having a good time. If you didn't have a good time and mingle then that was your fault.

I would also like to see it someplace warmer, but in my eyes how can you have a Nationals race weekend without the season being over to determine who is in the top 10 in points for their class? Most of the drivers who show up will be in the top 10 and others that travel to the bigger shows anyways. Vegas would be nice, but I for one would not have the funds to travel that far as it would already cost around $400 without the travel cost of fuel,food and hotels along the way. The closer to home and warmer the better!

Just my honest opinion.

Scott

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2013, 03:00:52 pm »
Scott,
What does the top 10 in points have to do with Nationals? I know thats part of how they picked who was going to be in the Race of Champions, but it's not exactly a fool proof method.  Heck, my name was called, and I'm no more qualified to be in the Race of Champions than Elvis Presley, thats why I didn't race it. Well, that and my car wouldn't turn, but I went into the weekend thinking I probably wasn't going to run it.

Other than that, Tim Brockhouse and Joel Wyttenbach weren't in the top 10 in points, and they won their Mains. I don't think points has, or should have anything to do with it. The only reason I was in the top 10 is because we only have 5 Pro's. I could have started and parked all year and finished 16th in points.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline racintaz99

« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2013, 03:32:29 pm »
Jim,

Most of the drivers that are in the top 10 are good racers and they will show up for the BIG races like the Nationals. My name was also called for the race of champions....I did not feel like I belonged there either but I was going to take all the track time I can get.  My car hasn't been turning for 2 years and had the hopes that I could run up towards the front.....well that didn't happen either.

It was a good learning experience for me and shows where I need to improve to get better. I set a goal every year and try to get within those goals. The nationals should be a spot light for all the drivers to shine and put forth their best no matter where they sit in points but the top 10 usually do better than the rest. ( from what I see )

This is only my 2nd year and we are still trying to get a handle on this car and hope for better results next year.

Scott

Offline ajagoditsh

« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2013, 03:37:11 pm »
I didn't see the event as "cliquey". I walked around and talked to a lot of racers. I also had a bunch come say hello to me. When my car died on the way to staging for heats on Friday,  there was at least 5 people helping push my car back. And I only knew 1 of them. So if that wss you helping push, THANK YOU!  I really enjoyed my time at nationals and hope to go again.  Congrats to all the winners.

Tony
Tony Jagoditsh