Author Topic: need to send my sealed engine in and need advice  (Read 16886 times)

Offline racerdad

need to send my sealed engine in and need advice
« on: September 30, 2013, 02:13:11 am »
So I need to send my engine in because it has old seals. This is my first time sending a engine to 600.was wondering if there was any advice I should know.
Thanks cody

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
Re: need to send my sealed engine in and need advice
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 10:58:36 am »
Cody,

The process is pretty simple. Click here for instructions.

http://www.northeastlegends.com/Home_files/NelEngingRebuildForm%20copy.pdf

Let me know how you make out, and if you have any questions, feel free to PM or call. 585-721-1795

Brad

Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 11:09:49 am »
Brad,

As I read your attached form, it is only for a complete engine rebuild, not engine seal update from old to new seals as originally requested by Cody.  Not sure if this form applies???

Thanks!
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 12:15:10 pm »
I would also recommend taking photos of any and all attached parts you send along with the motor (alt, starter, clutch banjo, sprocket adapter, ignition cover, ignition plate, etc) and send them & a list of them with your motor. 

When I sent mine for rebuild, I sent photos, a list, and copies in an e-mail for shipping and the engine shop still returned my motor missing parts. I sent it down with setup for black box  with ignition cover and it came back with no cover, no ignition plate, and the button for the red box timing. I missed running the first race of the season with a fresh motor (luckily had a spare) because I spent a week fighting to get my ignition plate & cover back. I had to fall back on the pictures I sent along to get results.

I sent my motor down in early January and didn't recieve it back until middle of March. If they call you and ask if your running winter nationals in Florida, say yes. I said no and got pushed back a month. I had a buddy send his at beginning of February, and they asked him about florida, He said yes and got his motor back by end of February. 

Do whatever you can to cover yourself. They will be dealing a lot more motors this year because of the re-sealing and there are plenty of bad experience stories out there.
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 04:51:26 pm »
Earnst, good points, I would recommend removing everything except alternator and starter. (this includes slave cylinder and mount, ignition plate, etc...)

Mark, I spoke with Brian at the USLC shop to confirm, but yes, the same form. If you send it down for a reseal only, there is no charge. UNLESS, the engine is found to be out of legality. Then you will be liable for parts/labor to make it legal.

I can work through the process with any of you if you need help. Just let me know.
Brad Salatino

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 05:36:18 pm »
Thanks Brad for the information!  I am sure many of us will be affected by the seal updgrade rule.
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline racerdad

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 07:18:45 pm »
Thanks for every ones help I will be having it rebuilt. I like the pic idea I will do that.
Isn't there two engine shops Vegas and the home off. I live in wa and can I send to what ever shop I won't. And what shop do I won't
Thanks Cody

Offline slack11

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 08:54:48 pm »
do most guys just strap the bare motor to a pallet like in the instructions?   That just seems a little too vulnerable to me.... These are 5000 dollar motors, Does that work well shipping these?   

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 10:23:33 pm »
You can wrap it in plastic.
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 10:24:10 am »
as stated in the instructions, it is wise to cover in cardboard as well. If you secure it well, it won't go anywhere.

I have used the tech engine stand before and bolted that to the pallet, but i don't think that will qualify for the deal on shipping, because it changes the weight and dimensions.
Brad Salatino

Offline amp racing

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 10:43:40 am »
big sign on top of motor..DO NOT STACK....
joe

knoxracing

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 12:50:20 pm »
The best thing you can do is to borrow an engine stand. attach it to a pallet. Wrap the engine in shrink wrap and write fragile on the shrink wrap. I like the shipper to see what is being shipped, it help them see you cant stack on it or ram it with a tow motor. Attach a note to the engine requesting ULC contact you upon receipt to go over the parameters of your reasons for sending them your engine.

Offline Grape Competition Develop

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 05:09:31 pm »
this is a giant sales pitch, not one single engine will go into that shop without a phone call to the owner saying "um, we went ahead and took it apart and it will cost x to put it back together."  if you think otherwise, you are dreaming.

Offline amp racing

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 07:21:30 pm »
we all have no other options grape....also what happens if you tell them just to put your very good motor back together as is? will it be the same...the 600 people came up north, if you had a blue seal nothing was done. but at Waterford they took purple seals and sealed up the motors.. that's because the purple ones you can tell if they have been apart.. would have been nice to cut mine off and reseal the motor but no.

joe

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 08:33:26 am »
There is no way that they are going to be able to take all the motors after the season and get them back in time for next season. If they do, not sure what kind of job they would do. I'm thinking about going with a open motor.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

anything