Author Topic: Looking to BUY a car but don't know what to buy...HELP!!!  (Read 19306 times)

Offline NCSU_racer

Looking to BUY a car but don't know what to buy...HELP!!!
« on: September 10, 2013, 11:51:03 am »
Hey guys,

I've been looking at a bunch of various cars (coupes/sedans, open/sealed) but I'm so torn as to which to get and what's a good price to pay? What I'm running into is that most of the seals are the older ones which would mean I would have to send it to 600 to get a new seal. My racing exp is very limited. I've only done endurance arrive and drive karting. I've been scouring the threads on the site only not to really find my answers. My ideal budget for a car is $7500 bc I still need to buy a HANS. Luckily I have the rest of my safety gear.

Zack B.
Raleigh, NC

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Looking to BUY a car but don't know what to buy...HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 12:26:10 pm »
With the season coming to an end, you should be able to find a used car in the $5-$6k range.
There are a bunch out there at the $7500 mark, but they are not moving. The market seems to be around $6k, at least around here (WI)
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 01:19:20 pm »
Let us know if you're looking for a dirt or asphalt car.  This will help narrow down the field somewhat.
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline NCSU_racer

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 01:42:18 pm »
Sorry about leaving the racing surface out....gonna be racing specifically at Wake Co. Speedway (Raleigh NC) and Southern National possibly. Both are banked asphalt.
Zack B.
Raleigh, NC

Offline JLowe18

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 02:36:36 pm »
Zack,

Check out this deal on Racing Junk. I ran against this guy a couple of times earlier this year. He bought the car used from USLC and only raced it 3 times this year. It seems like a pretty nice car and its in High Point(where I live) which is only about 1-1/2 hours away from you.

http://www.racingjunk.com/Dwarf-Legends/181930081/37-ford-sedan-and-enclosed-trailer-for-sale.html

Jeramy

Offline NCSU_racer

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 02:50:53 pm »
I sent him an email just now. I only need a car though....

But why did everyone switch to running coupes around here? I remember in the early 2000's it was more even dist with coupes and sedans.
Zack B.
Raleigh, NC

Offline amp racing

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 04:44:47 pm »
racing junk Ad #181945479  its on here .. good car lots of new stuff.....

joe

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 04:48:03 pm »
I couldn't find a link, but I know this car is still available and probably could be had for around $7000. Give him a call.

37 Ford Sedan - $8000
Listing Date: 07-03-12
Ready to race
New tires, oil cooler, headers
New body and front clip
New in-car fire extinguishing system
New wheel bearings, rotors, and brakes
Spooled 342 gear
Randy LaJoie seat
Hank Scott motor
Located in southern Maryland

Contact Smokey Thompson at 301-885-9058

Offline NCSU_racer

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 05:04:32 pm »
Is there something to the sedan vs coupe thing or is it a preference thing? I'm only 150lb if that makes a difference
Zack B.
Raleigh, NC

Offline NCSU_racer

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 05:58:51 pm »
@ Jlowe18  Is the High Point car a good car to start out with?
Zack B.
Raleigh, NC

knoxracing

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 08:57:19 pm »
The coupe vs sedan is a tricky subject. The real answer is weight, and somewhat of a roll center issue. I have always like the sedan so I have made it a hobby to ask those that switch what they think. A lot of guys feel the sedan is a little more stable or has a lazier feel to it, I agree. The coupe does hold a better resale value due to demand. Given the fact of your location I would stick with a sealed engine, based on location and the level of competition on asphalt in N.C..
When buy an 5-8k car the bulk of the replacement value is in the motor (5k), so I would suggest finding a car with a somewhat fresh motor. Feel free to call me with any questions, doesn't matter to me if you buy from me, I will be happy to help you. There is information to be found on almost any car for sale.

Offline NCSU_racer

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 08:07:51 am »
Do you guys know the cost to get an old sealed motor up to spec and get a new seal? Would it need to be rebuilt or freshened up?
Zack B.
Raleigh, NC

Offline mch46

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 05:52:42 pm »
Give me a call and I'll help if I can.  Are you at NC State, if so, it'll be a local call.  919/730-3596.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 09:07:24 pm »
Zack,

If you would need to send the engine in anyway; Why not get it refreshed. Just my thinking.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline JLowe18

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 10:48:06 am »
Zack,

I'll tell you what I know about the car located in High Point. I raced against him one time and he seemsed like a really nice guy. He had just bought the car from USLC and from casual observation it looked like a very nice/clean car. He only raced 2-3 times this spring at Concord before he put the car up for sale this summer. Dennis makes a good point about the resale value. Racing is a monkey see monkey do business and around here a majority of the fast cars are coupes so that makes them desirable however that does not mean that a sedan is not a fast car. Kyle Beattie Racing runs a lot of sedans in NC and has been very sucessful.
I know you have asked several questions about the sealed engine. The car in High Point does have a sealed engine and Brian mentions that it was freshened earlier this year before he bought it. Based on that info I would assume that it has the new seals already on it and would be ready to go. If you were only planning on racing at Wake County I would say you would be fine with a 1200 engine. They typically have less than 10 cars in the Legends field and legal 1200's can be competitive on 1/4 mile tracks. If you go to Southern National to race the 1250 would probably be the better choice since it is a larger track.

If you do decide to come up to High Point and look at Brian's car I would be glad to meet you and take a look at the car with you if we can get our schedules aligned.

Just let me know.

Jeramy