Author Topic: Clear coated chassis  (Read 12988 times)

knoxracing

Clear coated chassis
« on: November 25, 2012, 09:27:31 pm »
In case you all are wondering>
USLC is offering clear coated chassis, I have sat back and watched these come through. I am now offering my opinion! They weigh more and once the clear coat chips, it peels and rust. Problem being it is hard as hell to touch up. ONCE IT CHIPS, PEELS AND RUST IT IS HARD TO FIX . Your best bet is to order your chassis with NO paint and have it powder coated.
Dennis Knox
Buckeye Legends
330-310-9212

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
Re: Clear coated chassis
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 09:32:06 pm »
Thank you for your opinion dennis, i've been wondering about the clear coated chassis, do you have a ball park idea of how much it costs to powder coat a chassis? I know every place is different but just wondering a basic idea of a cost.

Dan

knoxracing

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 09:05:05 am »
Dan, here I have a shop that blast and coats chassis for $300.00 I have heard all sorts of prices. The clear looks cool as hell, its just not durable and once it chips and rust's its a mess. I really guess it may depend where and what you are racing on. The powder coat is so durable.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 09:18:43 am »
Dan,

I was going to re-post Dennis's post from last year about powder coating cost. I agree that powder coating is a lot tougher finish.  Your biggest issue may be your local powder coating place having a big enough oven to bake the finish on an entire chassis.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

knoxracing

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 10:40:43 am »
Ya i am sure not everyone has access to powder coating. The painted chassis is not bad from USLC, its just not durable. I have ATTEMPTED to do it my self, what a mess lol. By the time I sanded, primed and painted it was a disaster. I had so much oversparay everywhere in my shop, I am for sure not a painter and it was not cheap. Every racer needs a body shop for a sponsor, that is a must have!!!!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 11:38:20 am »
LOL!
Couldn't hurt!!!!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline amp racing

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 11:56:33 am »
 place in new hampshire wanted 300 to blast and 500 to powder coat..800 total

knoxracing

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 01:43:02 pm »
WOW, I had one done for a customer, the shop was about 40 minutes from USLC, they did it all for $300.00. Thats what I pay here in Ohio for blast and coat so I know $300 is a good price, no way in hell im paying $800.00.

Offline amp racing

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 02:20:21 pm »
thats why i'm painting it.. also noted at the repair shop powered coating cannot be touched up if clipping is needed.. but it does look nice..

Offline JLowe18

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 02:26:58 pm »
Dennis,

Can you pass along where this shop is in NC? I am located about an hour north of USLC and was wondering if it was anywhere near me.

Thanks

Jeramy

knoxracing

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 09:43:01 pm »
Yes, I have to  dig that up. will find that receipt.

Offline Racingtrader.ca

• Racing Classifeds
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 09:28:15 pm »
I had it done once and it was 200 sand blasted and $300 powder coated here in Nova Scotia. It looked nice for awhile but Id never do it again.
Mark Williams
Owner
Racing Classifieds & Track Forums / Sticker Fool
Tel: 902-448-6903

knoxracing

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 09:54:35 pm »
I have had atleast 25 chassis coated, I think its awesome. Durable, easy to clean. What made yours so bad? Just curious because thats how i felt after I painted one.

Offline Racingtrader.ca

• Racing Classifeds
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 10:12:15 pm »
Maybe it was the person who applied it, but it looked terrible on the chassis like it had ran, It needed clipped not long after from a wreak. I found it hard to watch for cracks in the chassis. I've always had issues with them pulling part on the a post and 3rd link.  I had to run taps thru I could not get a bolt to thread correctly anywhere . I normally rebuild the car every winter so I found it cheaper to just have it resprayed with paint and ten can touch up with a can any damage through the season.
Mark Williams
Owner
Racing Classifieds & Track Forums / Sticker Fool
Tel: 902-448-6903

knoxracing

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 10:30:35 pm »
You defineteky have to run a tap through the threads. I have done so many its just easy for me i guess. Powder coat should be like glass, smooth and shiny. We had third link cracks back in the day, the newer double  shear bracketing and gussets seem to have corrected that. Its like everything else, what ever works best for you, thats for sure. Alot of folks do not have access to reasonable priced powder coating.