Author Topic: New 13 lb. wheel  (Read 15860 times)

knoxracing

New 13 lb. wheel
« on: July 01, 2011, 08:23:24 pm »
If you have not heard racers there are new legal wheels being sold at USLC. The new wheel weighs 13 lbs. and is stamped INEX , the wheels also have stickers attached with a bar code. I was at USLC on Thursday and these wheels are selling like hot cakes. They are about 3 to 4 lbs lighter than the current whhel sold. The new weight rule is 29 lbs with the new Inex wheel. They are quite pricey At $79.99 each retail. I personally as a dealer am not in favor of theses wheels. There are two manufactures involved, Aero and Bassett.
Dennis Knox
Buckeye Legends
330-310-9212

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: New 13 lb. wheel
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 09:55:24 pm »
I agree with you Dennis, not smart for the racers, but USLCi will make a sh1tload of money on them because you know guys are going to have to have the lighter wheels, so you and USLC will sell a ton of them I bet.
Sad part is, the Cost from Bassett to USLCi isn't changing, they're just charging even more over Bassett's list price to line their pockets.
The regular wheels that USLC was selling for $72.99 sells for full retail through Bassett for $66.10.
I know exactly what the profit margin is, being a Bassett dealer...they don't need to sell them for $6.89 per wheel OVER full retail...now they're adding another $7.00 per wheel when the cost did NOT go up.
Sad thing is, I would bet I could sell USLCi dealers Bassett wheels cheaper than USLCi does, but that's out the window now, as they only supply enough stickers to Bassett to equal their order.

Guess I will be getting out of the wheel business...or maybe not.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Hoopyboy

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 11:36:06 am »
 thanks for the info Dennis, I stand beside you in the 'not in favor' comment, my friend

~ Gimp ~

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 07:23:02 pm »
They haven't been clear if the weight is the same with the new AR tire. If they have I haven't seen it. These tires are light Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 07:26:26 pm »
Thats why they will sell so many wheels. 10 lb lighter tire plus 5 lb lighter wheel.
Thats 60 lbs of rolling mass eliminated. If only I could eliminate 30 pounds of mass rolling over my belt!  :o ::) :P

I have seen nothing of a rule change or notice posted either as per the new wheel or the total weight.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 08:53:26 pm »
I'm with Jim.... He could stand to lose 30 lbs.  ;D
Seriously... I have seen nothing in the rules this year as far as weight changes for tires and wheels.
As Jim pointed out, unsprung weight is always a plus!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Legend79

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 04:44:53 pm »
So does this mean a driver can't buy a wheel straight from Bassett now and they have to come from uslc or your uslc dealer?

Offline thunder938

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 04:54:23 pm »
I dont think they have changed the rules...YET, I would bet that it will be in the rule book next year
Dave

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 05:20:17 pm »
So does this mean a driver can't buy a wheel straight from Bassett now and they have to come from uslc or your uslc dealer?

That will be the new rule, probably will be announced next week. Don't know how they are going to police it though...I could get the 13lb wheels last year if I wanted to (as a Bassett dealer), but there was still not tire rule or anything, so I didn't.
Are they going to have seperate weight rules? You can be 40lbs if you have an INEX sticker on your wheel, but 50 lbs if you don't?
I guess we'll see what they can pull out of their hat on this one.

If everyone has to have an INEX sticker on their wheels, I'll quit Legends racing. I've got 22 perfectly good Bassett wheels sitting here, I'm not throwing them away, and I'm not going to give up 40lbs to someone just because they were forced to spend over full list price to get a sticker and a weight advantage.
INEXpensive my ass, you can quote me on that one.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline thunder938

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 05:34:31 pm »
I wonder if the new lite wheel will bend if you look at too hard?
Dave

Hoopyboy

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 05:39:46 pm »
 They need to make an exception to the wheel rule for dirt racing, unless they are selling us wheels for 50%

~ Gimp ~

Hoopyboy

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 07:27:14 pm »
Think about it... heaviest wheel for a Legends Car out there, a beadlock, on the right rear and they want to put us on the weakest wheel on the market on our right front.... lawsuit coming on, I can see that coming from a mile away if someone gets killed from a busted front wheel on dirt

~ Gimp ~

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 08:17:06 pm »
Okay...you got my attention now too!  Let's see, first INEX changes the dirt tire rule and our local track car count goes from an average of 20-22 cars per night down to 14-15 cars per night.   And along with that a cut in payout as orginal payout was based on a 20 cars per night.  Now they decide to change wheels part way into a season.  Come on now....what's next?  All these rule changes do is add cost to the operation of our Legends cars.  We all had BFG tires that functioned just fine for how many years???  We all have either Trap or Basset wheels that functioned just fine for how many years???   If anyone from INEX is out there, can you please explain the purpose of all these changes?   You are adding significant costs to the sport we love with no real reason and as a result causing more and more Legends car owners to either park or sell there cars.   INEX needs to work with ALL the drivers before making such drastic decisions.   

Just my 2 cents! ???
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Hoopyboy

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 08:34:17 pm »
 Time to start a new sanctioning body and set of rules for racing Legends on dirt ?

~ Gimpster ~

Offline ethan54

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 08:41:03 pm »
That would be interesting. I think there were talks last year of our home track going unsanctioned if the whole dirt tire situation didn't go through
Ethan Ross
Ross Brothers Racing #54