Author Topic: older steering rack rebuild????  (Read 21204 times)

Offline slack11

older steering rack rebuild????
« on: May 31, 2011, 05:02:21 pm »
I've thumbed through some old posts, but haven't found any answers yet......

1.) Has anyone rebuild one of the older steering boxes without the kit that 600 doesn't sell anymore?

2.) I have read on here that you are able to buy the parts and pieces (bushings, shims, etc.) from a local bearing supply  house.  Has anyone done this?  Any idea as to the size of the bushing?

Really don't like the fact that they don't sell a simple rebuild for these, they force you to buy a whole new rack.  Hate to spend close to 300 bucks on a new rack when mine just needs a bushing....

Again, Thanks for any help in advance.....

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: older steering rack rebuild????
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 09:16:03 pm »
Check with Randy and see if he has a kit or part #'s.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline slack11

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 07:33:06 am »
I called Randy, he said he didn't have the parts anymore..  I am gonna call CMG motorsports today, I have heard they have the bushings..  I'll post here if they have them.....

Offline mch46

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 01:17:28 pm »
Jeff Jordon at RPM-proformance rebuilt my old style rack.  I think he machines the parts needed himself.

Offline slack11

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 10:07:19 pm »
got the bushing for the old style from CMG motorsports...  7 bucks....

This will fix the problem till the offseason where I may look to get it rebuilt, but I think this should solve the problem.

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 12:34:24 am »
I called Randy, he said he didn't have the parts anymore.. 

You never talked to me...

Here is the only bushing you will need, it does differ between the bolt on top or the screw on.

http://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Steering%3AO-Bushing

http://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Steering%3AN-Bushing

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline slack11

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 08:10:53 am »
ahhhh.......

I saw the RPM and did a google search for "RPM Legends" , and  it brought up RPM Pro-formance, Jeff Jordan,  out of N.C.  I called him and he didn't have the bushing..... 

I didn't realize that you were two separate people/ companies.....  My bad....  If i would have known you were different I would have given you a call. 

Sorry.

Offline NJRacer510

• Team 510 Racing
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 08:31:23 am »
I would say send it to either RPM Proformance or CMG Motorsports, we have an older style steering rack rebuilt by CMG. He rebuilds the entire rack and then he upgrades it so you can have the adjustability like you do in the newer style racks.
TODD McCOLLUM #m1
www.TEAM510RACING.com

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 10:38:48 am »
Just a dumb question, but how do you know when the rack needs to be rebuilt?  Or whats the difference between the new and old racks?

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline NJRacer510

• Team 510 Racing
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 11:56:40 am »
The older steering racks have a grease fitting on the top and the only way to adjust them is with shims. You take the top cap off where the grease fitting is and add/remove shims until you get the feel you would like. On the newer racks there is a larger adjuster screw with nut while the grease fitting is now located on the front. You will know when they need to be rebuilt due to wear, play, and age. There are bushing inside the racks that go bad and other times the spined gears can go bad as well.

When CMG rebuilds an older rack he also adds a bolt to the top of rack to make it adjustable like the newer ones instead of using shims. If you need one just contact Mike, his website is www.cmgmotorsports.com or you could speak with Jeff from Rpm Proformance.
TODD McCOLLUM #m1
www.TEAM510RACING.com

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 01:45:44 pm »
The older steering racks have a grease fitting on the top and the only way to adjust them is with shims. You take the top cap off where the grease fitting is and add/remove shims until you get the feel you would like. On the newer racks there is a larger adjuster screw with nut while the grease fitting is now located on the front. You will know when they need to be rebuilt due to wear, play, and age. There are bushing inside the racks that go bad and other times the spined gears can go bad as well.

When CMG rebuilds an older rack he also adds a bolt to the top of rack to make it adjustable like the newer ones instead of using shims. If you need one just contact Mike, his website is www.cmgmotorsports.com or you could speak with Jeff from Rpm Proformance.
I never realized that about the rack.  I guess i have an older one then.  I know there is some side to side slop on both ends.  I'm wondering then if the rack might need a bushing to be replaced. 

Offline ethan54

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 03:53:48 pm »
We also sent ours to CMG, couldn't be happier with how they turned out. Just like new, if not better..
Ethan Ross
Ross Brothers Racing #54

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 06:25:43 pm »
Anyone have a ballpark number on the rebuild with the upgrade mentioned?  Just wonder how much money is saved over buying a new one. 

Offline ethan54

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 07:18:16 pm »
From CMG between $90-120 including shipping costs, you could also email them or have them contact you if you send him the steering rack and see what they say it'll cost. I guess it could be cheaper or a little more expensive depending on the condition
Ethan Ross
Ross Brothers Racing #54

Offline slack11

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 07:56:02 pm »
is there only one bushing in these racks? I ordered a bushing from CMG, but then got to thinking that there may be two.

anything