Author Topic: Tire test at ELS for new dirt tires  (Read 144677 times)

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Tire test at ELS for new dirt tires
« Reply #180 on: March 11, 2011, 08:34:30 pm »
actually Jim a club or series can't change rules of USLC if they are running USLC sanctions and points. I have called and found this out. However a track or track owner can mandate more safety for example. Look at the rules that New Jersey has in place and that is mandated and run by the state police for some reason. Another example is the "no mirror" rule, this is mandated by the track in the name of safety. Bad example to make things safer but that is whole different topic.

Scott

Ok, maybe "change" was the wrong word, but were both saying the same thing.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #181 on: March 11, 2011, 09:22:40 pm »
Hey Jim!

I for one could never figure out the mandate that you have to run door padding.  As far as safety is concerned it is kind of a farce.   Let's see, two years ago we were required to install the SFI rated, fire retardant roll bar padding, but yet we are required to run expensive INEX door pads that burn like a dried up Christmas tree.  Makes no sense to me.  Don't get me wrong, I understand the intention of the padding to provide safety to the driver.   However, if we're required to install some sort of padding, then that padding should be fire retardant also.   I installed adhesive backed fire retardant padding in my car and it only cost me $58 and is much safer.

Just my opinion! Mark ::)
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline ethan54

« Reply #182 on: March 11, 2011, 09:36:58 pm »
Ethan Ross
Ross Brothers Racing #54

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #183 on: March 11, 2011, 09:47:16 pm »
The AR's will be available to everyone. Just going to take a little time for all dealers to have them available. Since the 2011 rulebook is not out there for all of us to see, lets not start getting crazy. Some tracks DO mandate things that they deem as "safety" rules. Mirrors, padding, etc... They are trying to cover thier butts too. Track insurace isn't cheap. For those that start early in the season, it's going to be a rough start. Not everyone is going to run out and buy sets of tires based on rumors or conjecture. Those on limited budgets are going to start on what they have available and what the rules allow. Lets just try to keep cool heads about all this stuff.
Everyone will have to deal with the rules the best that they are able.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

igotmylegend

« Reply #184 on: March 12, 2011, 10:16:33 am »
I like that door padding you put up Ethan ,  you don't mind if I copy do you? This whole tire thing  sucks, I was hoping we could start the season off with new tires seeing how I don't have a good set.
Does someone have 2 BFG they would like to get rid of?

Offline ethan54

« Reply #185 on: March 12, 2011, 03:54:19 pm »
Go for it, i haven't measured the door yet so idk if you'll need to get 1 or 2. I'll probably go with 2.
Ethan Ross
Ross Brothers Racing #54

Offline JC38

« Reply #186 on: March 14, 2011, 01:34:10 pm »
We were told they will be here by the end of March just last week...   
Justin Comer #38

FFmedic

« Reply #187 on: March 18, 2011, 05:05:19 pm »
Just came from my dealer and he said that USLC called and told him that the tires are shipping on March 22nd.  So lets hope they are actually right.

Offline Team Zero

« Reply #188 on: March 25, 2011, 06:20:51 pm »
Received an email this afternoon that the new tires have been delivered to Warren from Bulltown Legends, we will be able to pick them up this weekend.

Brian Peterson
Brian Peterson

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #189 on: March 25, 2011, 11:54:44 pm »
I'm so excited that the new dirt tires came early rather than later.  Now all those who can't afford to buy these new tires right away will really have their work cut out for them and probably get run over.   We'll start with our BFG's and if it doesn't work out, we can always run our dirt car on asphalt too.   Time will tell I guess...enough said. ::)

Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline rickmiller48

« Reply #190 on: March 27, 2011, 04:47:35 pm »
Ed Trump at Central Pa Legends has the new tires.  He got a shipment Friday and I think he is getting another shipment Monday.  There appears to be enough for everyone so you can run them at the next race if desired.  I haven't mounted mine but a quick check with the durometer shows them in the neighborhood of 70 so they may be a decent tire for us.  I guess I'm trying to be optimistic even though I really liked the BFG's.  They lasted forever and their inherent lack of grip kept the playing field really level since no matter what you did, the tires were the limiting factor.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #191 on: March 27, 2011, 07:32:02 pm »
70 is a pretty high duro number. Didn't the BFGs run around 60 something? Anyway... I am thinking that they should last awhile.
I am also thinking that once everyone gets switched over, the playing field will still be pretty even. Will be interested to see what thoughts are on the ARs compared to the BFGs. For dirt, I still think that the BFGs and ARs are a better deal than the Federals. The Federal tread design was just one that was never really meant for a dirt surface.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Team Zero

« Reply #192 on: March 27, 2011, 07:38:05 pm »
I picked mine up this afternoon they duro at 70 outside in the garage at 21 degrees, they have a large block design bigger than I was expecting and they are very very soft and pliable.

Brian
Brian Peterson

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #193 on: March 27, 2011, 08:15:09 pm »
Can someone take picture and post it of the tire and tread patter please. Thanks

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline rickmiller48

« Reply #194 on: March 27, 2011, 09:25:44 pm »
My BFG's are all 70 or over and it's about the same for those I race with.  I tried soaking a while back and could only get them down to 60 and didn't notice any difference.  Once I started buffing off the tires with a sander to smooth out the feathering, I started doing better.  When I won my first race last year, my right front was at 72 and right rear was 74.  I think the hardness will be a key to getting some life out of them.  Still the sidewalls are pretty flimsy, but dirt tires have always seemed like tubes with tread on them anyhow.  I realize that whatever they went to would have to be a little better than BFG's or they would have to ban the BFG's to keep the folks that stock piled them from having an advantage.  Just wondering, how hard are the Federals?  

If you look at my earlier posts, I've been pretty much against this move based on my previous experience racing on Hoosiers and AR's, but I'm now pretty optimistic.  The tires I used to run on the stock car were 40 to 45 hardness if I remember right (mostly Hoosier RC1's).

anything