Author Topic: Tire test at ELS for new dirt tires  (Read 144752 times)

Offline 01MRMTransAm

Re: Tire test at ELS for new dirt tires
« Reply #105 on: January 12, 2011, 03:32:48 pm »
Well, while I will agree that rough, the truth of the matter is exactly what Jeff stated from a racing standpoint. This is a spec class. That is part of the reason a lot of us run it. That fact is accepted when we buy the car and join the sanctioning body. Its not a "spending wars class" while there are a few things that money can buy in the class, the idea of spec is to not have to spend the $2000 or whatever a season for the newest set of heads, or whatever.  This class was not designed for people to have to buy 5 different sets of tires of different compounds of tires so we can have them on hand every night. If the racers had that kind of money laying around, Do you think we'd be racing a legend? While they are a blast, and are fun and difficult to drive, I bet a lot of people would drive a faster car if in the financial position to do so.

Regardless of specific likes or dislikes of the tire, the class will go on. And a ton of people will go out there and have fun racing... you know, the whole reason we bought our cars. Not to complain about it. Like it or change classes. Its a national sanctioning body people.

That said, I'm sorry to see Gimp off of the boards. I respected his opinions, and enjoyed reading the technical side of his posts. If you read this Gimpster, I hope everything turns out well for you sir and I hope there are many more years of racing in your future. Legends or not.

Justin

knoxracing

« Reply #106 on: January 12, 2011, 03:37:03 pm »
I hope there is a misunderstanding here. I really like this site because of the clean information being passed and discussed without the arguing and political b.s

Dennis Knox
Buckeye legends
330-310-9212

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #107 on: January 12, 2011, 03:58:56 pm »
OK, enough.
I will be cleaning up the thread and putting it back on track...tires.

Gimpster, take care buddy...keep on keepin' on.

If anyone has some BFG's they want to get rid of cheap in Wisconsin, let me know
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #108 on: January 12, 2011, 06:17:47 pm »
I just can't wait to have a REAL dirt tire. ..... ;D

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: January 12, 2011, 09:17:34 pm »
I have modified portions of this thread either by deletion or modifying the wording. I hope no one takes offense to this.
I know that sometimes issues become heated... And that's OK.

We are a forum here to discuss issues that affect Legends Cars, Thunder Roadsters and Bandolero Cars. We are NOT a political forum. That is why I urge members to to contact INEX about rule issues. My thinking is that the more folks that give their input directly to the rule makers the better. Any intentional post directed at a member, group or organization is not our purpose and WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. Please give consideration to what you post BEFORE you post it.

I DO NOT think that certain posts were meant in a malicious manner, so therefore have edited the thread.
Questions or comments may be directed to me via a Private Message or Email.

Let's ALL think about what we post and keep this site a friendly and informational place to learn from eachother.

Regards,

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline bback58

« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2011, 03:09:43 pm »
I haven't posted anything for a long time, but I know when I was racing, I would have loved to try out a set of nice soft racing tires for a night, but wouldn't want to have to pay the bill for using them weekly.  The BFG's seemed to last forever which isn't a bad thing.   I don't believe soft tires will bring anyone new to the sport, but they sure will drive people away.  And like the tires or not, if everyone is on the same tire, it does't really matter. 
Brian B

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #111 on: January 20, 2011, 08:16:24 pm »
Good to see your still here Brian. Once a Legends always a Legends...... ;D

Scott

Offline bback58

« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2011, 10:31:38 am »
Good to see your still here Brian. Once a Legends always a Legends...... ;D

Scott

Hey Scott,

I'm still interested in what is happening with Legends, but don't keep up on the site like I used to.  I know I would love to try out that new Dirt car that USLC has.
Brian B

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #113 on: March 02, 2011, 12:35:31 pm »
Has anyone heard any more on the tires. I know that Darrel told me they would be here at the end of the month. I was just wondering if that is on hold while they get things straight in the front office. It would be nice to have some sort of time frame so you could budget for the new tires. Thanks

Scott

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #114 on: March 02, 2011, 01:32:53 pm »
I spoke with Iowa dealer Warren Ropp two days ago.  He told me he originally purchased 150 of the new dirt tires a few weeks ago and 90 of them sold within one day.  His tire price is $110.00 each.   Also, he told me these new tires will require a beadlock on RR as they are single ply tires.  New beadlocks cost $134.00 plus clear cover at $18.00.   Tires come all the same size, however, they change approx. 1" in circumference for every 10 PSI.   So besides everyone opening up their wallet to get started with these tires, a new learning curve with setups will become very important.

Good luck! ::)
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #115 on: March 02, 2011, 01:37:58 pm »
...and many of the bigger wallets buying lots of tires to achieve maximum stagger.

Just called USLC and was told by the guy in the parts department that he has "heard alot of different things", but they should be there "by the end of the month"
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #116 on: March 02, 2011, 01:45:48 pm »
Not compaining (still better than other types of racing) but I thought the price on the new tires would be lower than that.  Guess we will find out.

Gimpster

« Reply #117 on: March 02, 2011, 02:03:53 pm »
 Yes, good on the dirt tire approval for sure ! See now where the fuel for my fire comes from though when I heard the announcement ? Don't get me wrong, just looking ahead is all I was doing. Price of the tire, compound you get etc. Apology to all for anything I said that may have ruffled any feathers. Big thanks to those who have apreciated good tech advice shared. that's why we are here right ? Hope to meet you all some day. Will be a learning curve as mentioned for stagger and set-ups for most, but hey... quicker lap times ?? Haha, I can see everyone firing up the generators and digging out the buffing wheels to scuff the good back in those tires ! If you are new to this tire, I suggest you chat with racers from other divisions to get the up and up on them... Enjoy what we got, I guess.. Anyone hear of how they will regulate the tire ?? Specially stamped 'Legends edition' to keep fellers like me from buying softer tires elsewhere ?? hmmmm maybe the holdup is in marking them or maybe they have researched a little more and going with a softer tire ? Time will tell
Later...

- The Gimpster -

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #118 on: March 02, 2011, 02:32:48 pm »
One question that they will need to address by INEX is grinding marks on the tires.  A grinding wheel with a rough grit that can do the tires quickly will leave marks.  When I used a finer grit on the BRG's with the belt sander, it was a slow process.  I get the impression that most people did not grind the BFG's, but with a race tire I agree that it will probalby be needed.   

Gimpster

« Reply #119 on: March 02, 2011, 02:49:52 pm »
 Yes and those marks can be stratigically placed as an advantage in the cooling of what I call a closed thread (broader lugs) that will hold heat longer.Plus a bias ply tire takes heat different than a steel belted radial. We never were checked here for tire softness, and like I confessed to Mike Patrick on the phone the other day, I softened the BFG and kept them between 48 and 50 on the durometer. Haha, they still lasted forever. Mike mentioned the cost of keeping them at that low of a reading and I sighed "Ahmen". Getting off topic here, I am. In a way USLCI is lucky they have Ray on their side for the dirt tire knowledge which I would think is the source they are referring for dirt tire info. I still question the compound, espicially with his input, but maybe he isn't familiar with these light cars and narrower tire as opposed to a midget etc.. ?? Pure speculation from me there and I will let the compound topic rest. I know I sound like a broken record already. You all know my thoughts on that topic.
Not only will the Legends racer be on a learning curve with this tire... USLCI will be on one too. Dirt tech fellers better be on their game too within the first season of this tire because the racers will try all the knowledge out there on the tires... trust me
 Those of you who have never raced with a lot of stagger, get ready. Sweet to get on the throttle and pull left. Just remember.. letting off is just the opposite, be prepared when bailing out of the loud lever avoiding other wrecks and for cautions the first few times out there as opposed to the BFG. It will come natural to you though after running the stagger.

- Gimpster -

anything