Author Topic: Legends frames???  (Read 11728 times)

Offline slack11

Legends frames???
« on: October 01, 2010, 10:57:20 am »
I'm looking into buying a legend for next year if we are able to get the class started, but I keep seeing in for sale ads that the "frame was done by so and so" or the front clip was done by XXXx.  With the legends rules are you allowed to modify the frame at all, or are they all basically the same design as the factory sends them?  I was assuming that the frames were all the exact same.

Thanks for any help

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Legends frames???
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 12:23:33 pm »
There are things you can do and stay within the parameters like stress relieving, etc. Most measurements state "within +- X inches", so some people (with more time and money than I...no offense meant) send their new chassis out to be cut apart and put back together.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline slack11

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 01:57:56 pm »
I guess I'l l have to go back and read the rulebook. I assumed that these were all the same, but there must be slight differences then huh. 

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 03:14:38 pm »
You can buy 3 new front clips from USLC and none of the 3 will be exactly the same, thus the need for variations in measurement/tech allowances.
The rule book does say no modifications whatsoever.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 03:39:22 pm »
The frame work on these is sort of like blue printing a motor.  You are not making any big changes, but bringing things to spec within the tolerance allowed in the rules.  Sure there are a few people that go outside of the box, although the penalties are pretty severe if you get caught.

Regardless of where you get the chassis from, check the measurements over on the front clip before you go to set it up.  My car handled prett bad last year (first year in the car) and when I was checking it over during the off season I found out how many tweaks it had in the front clip.  A few adjustments with a sledge hammer and it is back to spec.       

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 04:44:26 pm »
Yes, the Sledgehammer is my best friend...without it I would have had to replace 3 clips this year  :P
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline SARdriver

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 09:51:24 am »
What and where are you guys checking?
Legends Racer #5! S.A.R(seth adams racing)

Gimpster

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 02:20:25 pm »
 There are different methods. Some people have a chassis jig to check their chassis, others cross measure and or use amsll squares.
I tweak all my chassis before they make the racing surface. One of the ways the average racer can check their chassis is with small magnetic levels and cross measure. Level the chassis at the door opening and check both front and both frame rails to make sure they are level with the main frame. As for front or rear clip offset, say you got hit hard in the front, is to cross measure from the firewall to the shock tower in the front and the rear  firewall to a crossbar back near the fuel cell.
 I offset clips for my prefered looseness of a chassis and or raise or dip the front clip per side depending on the track I am going to run. Makes it interesting because I can honestly give my set-up spring combo to someone without fibbing to them and it will work on my car and they will struggle.
 You will run across this kind of chassis manipulation difference between chassis guys. The best way to know what you have if a chassis is clipped by someone is to talk to them and find out if the clip is installed to make the chassis naturally loose or naturally tight.
 There is more to say but I better stop before I go into detail about chassis stress or stress relief and affect it has on the handling of the chassis. Can't give up all the tricks you know !

~ Gimpster ~

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 12:15:03 pm »
After making sure that the center of the chassis was square, I put the frame rails on blocks and then measured with a level to make sure the front clip was level side to side and front to back.  Also check the shock tower to the firewall and make sure they are equal.  Sting the side of the car to make sure the front clip is pointed forward.  A jig is always better if you have access, but this is how I did mine to get it back to stock.   

All of this is assuming that there are not any intentional tweaks like Gimpster is talking about.  I do not have the experience to mess with moving things, so I would probably just make the car worse if I start messing with the clip.  If the car you buy was done by a particular builder, you might want to call and ask for some baseline measurements so you can adjust it back after contact. 

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 03:27:37 pm »
Here is a link to an old thread on stress relieving the chassis:
http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php?topic=198.0

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

anything