Author Topic: Adding a Legends Class at our local track.  (Read 9025 times)

Offline slack11

Adding a Legends Class at our local track.
« on: September 22, 2010, 09:07:58 am »
We are looking at adding a legends class next year at our track, a paved 1/4 mile track in northern NY (Evans Mills Speedway).  I have contacted 600 racing, and they pointed me to the regional guy in my area, who I have contacted, but I had some questions that I wanted to ask racers, rather than someone trying to get me to buy stuff.

Some general questions,

1.) what are the ballpark weekly costs to run these?
2.) Are these maintenance intensive, or are the week to week stuff pretty quick.
3.) with the new federal tires, how long do these last?  How many weeks before you need to buy new?
4.) How often is a rebuild necessary if nothing really goes wrong?

These are just some questions that I have, and I know others will have if they are interested in running these for next year. 

I appreciate all and any help you can give.

Thanks,
Nate

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Adding a Legends Class at our local track.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 10:37:00 am »
You'll get alot of different answers, but heres my 2 cents:
1. Including Gas in the tow vehicle and car, oil, pit pass and pit pass I spend about $55.00 a week per car.
2. Week to week maintenance, once you get a routine down, takes about and hour.
3. Can't comment on the Federals, us dirt boys got to use the BFG's this year, and tires last 20X longer on dirt than asphalt.
4. The engine in my car right now has about 80 races on it, and without driver error, can still turn lap times in the top 7. It will be coming out for a new VMS motor this year and kept as the old reliable spare. Still can pump over 190 easy.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Bigmil

• Started racing in 2009
    • Bigmil Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 12:49:10 pm »
A different response as mentioned by Jim

I run Asphalt in the FASTMidwest series (www.fastmidwest.com) and this is my first year racing anything.........

1.) I travel to several tracks in my region so I average $125 a week (that includes gas money to get to the track, pit passes for me and my wife and car gas money)
2.) I usually have to change my rear end gear every week due to different tracks which takes about 1 hour itself.  If I was at the same track every week all you would need to do is maybe change the oil and nut and bolt everything.
3.) I have run them a couiple of times and know others who have ran them more.  You should be able to get 15 race nights or so on the left sides and 4-5 race nights on the right sides
4.) You will get a variety of answers on this one.  When I started (this past March) most people told me that you should rebuild your engine every year or two (in my series most guys run 20-30 races a year).  However I am currently borrowing an engine from a guy that has over 300 races on it (having never been rebuilt) and I got 3rd place my first race out with it (I don't think these results are typical though).  I would say you could comfortably run 50-100 races on a motor if you are still learning.  Maybe 30-40 if you are real competative.  Keep in mind even with my old worn out motor I can break the tires loose coming out of the corners if I am not driving the car right.  So, setup and driving skill are far more important than motor power.

Let me know if you have anymore questions, I have learned way to much (learned some things I would have rather not needed to learn) during this, my first year of racing.

Gerad
Gerad Miller
34' Ford Coupe Smoke (Color not the driver)
Running in the Tri-State Legends Series
BigmilMotorsports.com
contact@bigmilmotorsports.com

Gimpster

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 02:14:10 pm »
 Spare bumpers, spindles, heim ends, ball joints and radius rods should  get you through an event should something bust in a heat. I always carried a short and a long axle with just in case. If you have a remote oil filter mounted up front, carry a spare filter and oil in your trailer. I ran a 1250 for 4 seasons (on dirt) that was still a monster when I sold it. 4 tracks a week from the end of May through the beginning of  September
Read, read, read message boards. Go way back and find what has happened to others and their problems with their Legend. Prepair for a learning curve and one hell of a good time...

~ Gimpster ~

Offline slack11

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 02:34:10 pm »
thanks for the info, and quick response.....

These are all things that I needed to know to try to sell the idea to some others who may want to jump into this class from another.  I know the week to week expenses of some classes can be a little outrageous, so I wanted to see what they were for the Legends.  The tire cost can be big, but it sounds like these are better than our tires that we run currently on other cars (around 115 per tire, and last around 5-7 weeks) 

These things look like a blast to drive, and are pretty simple in terms of build, adjustments.  Most likely simple to adjust, but difficult to know "how" to adjust.......

If there are any other opinions, or other things you can think of, please let me know.  I am just beginning to get my feet wet with these, and would love to hear your ideas.

Thanks

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 10:31:22 pm »
As Gimpster pointed out, read through the old threads. Here are a few that may help answer your questions:

http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php?topic=168.0
http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php/topic,106.0.html
http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php?topic=1110.0
http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php?topic=1293.0

And of course Read And Understand The Rulebook.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.