Author Topic: What do you think about this?  (Read 9894 times)

Offline IraceLegends77

What do you think about this?
« on: July 29, 2010, 02:52:54 pm »
I was just wondering what you guy think about this. I know that I have run some 3/8th mile asphalt tracks that were way faster than any 1/2 mile dirt track in the country. I just don't think that anyone at USLC has any idea about dirt racing and I say that not to be controversial just trying to be factual.

Scott

Williams Grove Ruling by INEXNEW
The following letter was sent to Don Stevens from INEX Executive Director Darrel Krentz:

"Don,
After our discussion regarding Williams Grove I have to say that INEX cannot support Legends on that size of track. Although many of your drivers could maneuver successfully at the speeds that that track would support, the potential for significant injury is too great.
INEX considers anything ½ mile and up as too dangerous for Legends, especially on dirt.
I understand that this track is very close to you and it sure would be nice to be closer to home, but the safety of our competitors is paramount.
Thanks and keep up the good work.
Darrel"

Coments taken from www.centralpalegends.com

Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline IraceLegends77

Re: What do you think about this?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 02:54:09 pm »
Don,
After our discussion regarding Williams Grove I have to say that INEX cannot support Legends on that size of track. Although many of your drivers could maneuver successfully at the speeds that that track would support, the potential for significant injury is too great.
INEX considers anything ½ mile and up as too dangerous for Legends, especially on dirt.
I understand that this track is very close to you and it sure would be nice to be closer to home, but the safety of our competitors is paramount.
Thanks and keep up the good work.
Darrel

Sorry for the color, this is better.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 06:09:40 pm »
Just looking at the gear chart and comparing some of the 3/8 paved tracks to something like the dirt super speedway known as Eldora tells you that the dirt tracks are not as fast.  Maybe they are concerned about flips from ruts and the cusion on a dirt track related to the speeds.  I would like to know a little more detail on how they can up with the policy.  The speeds they hit on some of the road courses are pretty crazy.     

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 08:56:13 pm »
I didn't even think about road race stuff. I have heard cars reaching well over a 100 mph. I have seen nasty crashes on both asphalt and dirt so  i do understand their concern about speed vs. condition. I just wish they would take everything into consideration before they put a blanket statement about 1/2 mile tracks.

Scott

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 09:16:10 pm »
No walls on the  fast parts of road courses.

I think blanket policies like that are not the best way to handle things, especially if you have a track that wants to let people use your product, which will in turn generate more interest in your product, thus generating more revenue for your business...or maybe I'm just dumb
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline rickmiller48

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 10:26:21 pm »
Also, judging by how much we tear up on a 4/10 mile track, they would really sell alot of parts if we ran there :-\

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 05:36:59 am »
Scott,

Fixed the color on your post.

We have a few of racers that run road courses well over a mile. Speeds do exceed 100 mph. Although I do not want to discuss INEX policy, they need to look at what is going on all over the world. Not everyone runs dirt. I think that they give more thought to paved ovals than dirt ovals. My personal oppinion deals with the tire issues for pavement and dirt ovals and paved road courses. SCCA allows some different tire options for legends cars. I'm not all up to date on the tires that SCCA allows, but have heard that some use the spec Ford racer tire, and also Hoosiers. Perhaps some of our road race members can enlighten us on that.

As for selling parts... I would choose to think that that is not their main motivation. Does stuff get torn up in any racing venue??? Sure!!!
I think that USLC and INEX need to look at the differences in the courses and racing surfaces vs a madatory tire rule.  BTW, I would love to see  legends cars run somewhere like Wiiliams Grove!

I know that our little site here may not get the looks that others do. For the most part, we have the average "Joe Racer" here. I would like to see members of USLC and INEX come onboard and ask for thoughts and ideas from our membership. Not a whinning session... Just  constructive ideas and thoughts. Perhaps someone who has connections with these folks could ask them to check in.

Just my humble oppions for whatever anyone thinks they are worth.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 11:53:22 am »
A few thoughts. First, the 1/2 mile thing is not a "blanket statement." I have successfully worked with Darrel to sanction Spencer Speedway in upstate NY,which is a 1/2 mile. However, this track is about 3 degrees of banking (Flat as can be basically) and it has no walls on the corners. We run a 3.73 in 5th, which, while fast, is not much faster than many 4/10 mile tracks. (Southern National Speedway and Langley Speedway are both 4/10 and use the same gear, and have/will host nationals. In fact, the average speed at Southern National, is almost 5mph higher then at Spencers. (17sec laps at SNS, 23 sec laps at Spencer)

So, it is not 100% that they wont do it. HOWEVER, my thinking, and probably Darrel's too (I am not speaking for INEX, just what I think) Is that 90 mph on a smooth, paved, track, is much safer, than 90 mph on a dirt track where the conditions change weekly, if not hourly. Also, on Dirt you are "hanging it out there" much more, and I believe the potential for severe crashes (Barrell roles, cartwheeling, etc) would be higher.

Just my thoughts. (I am an asphalt guy, so I could be way off)
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline Bigmil

• Started racing in 2009
    • Bigmil Motorsports
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 02:09:19 pm »
My series (FAST Midwest) is supposed to be running Eldora Speedway as an "exibition" race later this year (or so I'm told).  Also, I know legends cars have ran there in the past.  That's 1/2 mile and I think banked more than 3 degrees.

Maybe "Exibition" means "non-sanctioned"?

I am chomping at the bit to get out on dirt, especially somewhere like Eldora!!

Gerad
Gerad Miller
34' Ford Coupe Smoke (Color not the driver)
Running in the Tri-State Legends Series
BigmilMotorsports.com
contact@bigmilmotorsports.com

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 02:12:21 pm »
I think that the Eldora race has been unsanctioned the last couple of years. 

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 02:52:11 pm »
I think that the Eldora race has been unsanctioned the last couple of years. 

You're right, it's not been sanctioned
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

anything