Author Topic: Houston... we gots the problem !  (Read 9043 times)

Gimpster

Houston... we gots the problem !
« on: February 15, 2010, 09:46:38 pm »
Right when it's going super smooth..... a cylinder gets stuck !!

Just take a guess what happened !

----- Gimpster -----

FFmedic

Re: Houston... we gots the problem !
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 04:02:02 pm »
Well be glad it happened before the season.  You working on the M&ms car or did he sell it?

Gartner

Offline djracing

• Global Moderator
    • DJ Ross Racing
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 08:32:04 pm »
what happened?

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 08:35:29 pm »
I'll take a guess...#3 rod broke?
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Gimpster

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 02:38:32 pm »
Well be glad it happened before the season.  You working on the M&ms car or did he sell it?

Gartner

He sold it, Jim Hutzenbuhler from Mandan bought it.
Want to know a car with issues ? This one nearly tops the list. Ignition sparatic, spacers all on the outside of shocks and heim ends (how the 7734 did this car handle... hmmm), ilegal drivers door modifications etc....
 I'm making it right and he will be based out of my shop this season.

----- Gimpster -----

Gimpster

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 02:50:55 pm »
what happened?

Slippping the cylinder on and that is far as it went before the pistons wedged. I trust my machinist but there seems to have been a mix up when I picked mine up. This cylinder is standard, my pistons are oversized. Like I say, I trust my machinist so I never double checked the measurement before slipping it together. Slid on that far great. Costed 2 sets of rings by time I weaseled it back off. Last time I do a quick top end job without having the engine on my motor bench.

----- Gimpster -----

Gimpster

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 03:15:52 pm »
I'll take a guess...#3 rod broke?

3 was broke along with a grenaded case in the motor when I bought this car last summer. That engine had 3 laps on it, the owners were pissed at the engine builder (I'm not mentiong names) and gave me a whore house deal on the coupe with bad motor ($2800). I just had to run over to Chicago to get it. Yesterday when I was giving Hank Scott grief on the phone, I brought up this engine builder and what I have been running across after tearing down the motors he has built. Chrome rings in the second groove, upside down rings, smeared oil rings (when an oil ring lower ring slips out of groove as the cylinder is installed) 1mm rings filed down to fit in worn out std cylinders that have just been rehoned, that kind of stuff. Almost like the builder of topic had a kid throwing top ends together for him. The engine in my coupe pictured above was a back up motor from when I ran sealed engines. The engine was purchased from John Case. Cam case ran it the last season of his asphalt reign in Legends Cars. It smoked like crazy at an idle and we could not keep a hed in tact on it. It kept lunching heads. I decided to whip the top end off of it after installing another good head, retaining the bad smoking habbit. We found standard bore with filed 1mm rings in it. I had it bored and new pistons installed. Little mix-up lead to this scenario.

It's going to be a long season !

----- Gimpster -----

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 04:28:06 pm »
Hope your season gets a little better once it actually starts.  These motors do sometimes make me miss small block chevys.   

Gimpster

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 12:16:37 am »
Hope your season gets a little better once it actually starts.  These motors do sometimes make me miss small block chevys.   

Ahmen !!

----- Gimp -----

FFmedic

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 02:06:18 pm »
How did it handle???  Shoot only saw it at the track twice last yr. And the one time it was up close and personal as he t-boned me on the left side.

Joe

Gimpster

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 02:15:48 pm »
How did it handle???  Shoot only saw it at the track twice last yr. And the one time it was up close and personal as he t-boned me on the left side.

Joe

I couldn't have handled. The way suspention components were assembled, I don't see how it flexed at all. What a mess.

~ G ~

anything