Author Topic: Digital GPS Speedometer  (Read 9958 times)

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
Digital GPS Speedometer
« on: April 26, 2017, 08:09:43 am »
I spent a while trying to figure out how to drive a regular speedometer and came up short so I found a GPS digital one on e-bay. It comes with a USB cable to recharge it and I've found that the USB port puts out 12 volts at 500 milliamp.

So, how do I lower the 12 volts to 5 ??

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Digital GPS Speedometer
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 09:15:07 am »
LMAO!!!! So day number one and you are going to go all digital and techno on me?
Beyond the scope of my knowledge at this time. In racing, it doesn't matter if you have a speedo or not. Don't have time to look at it anyway! :D

I know that some of the newer bike engines support aftermarket speedo, tach, gear indicators, etc... that are electronically controlled.
Don't think I would want to look at anything that requires USB cables or recharging to function. This is not going to be a daily driver. This is going to be something to have fun with and perhaps take to car shows. Something to have fun with!

"So, how do I lower the 12 volts to 5 ??" Resistors. Same stuff you do to run 12 volts to a 6 volt system on an old hotrod.

Steve :p

Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 10:11:26 am »
Correction, the USB port puts out "5" volts at 500 miliamps

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 02:50:23 pm »
Dennis,
What gauges are you planning to run on your car?

Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 03:40:29 pm »
At the moment none, I think this is going to be one of those never finished cars, just keep adding stuff until it wont move.

Offline RPM

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 06:10:29 pm »
We have access to a speedo hut very similar to the USLC approved digital tach but it has the option to add a magnetic speedo or gps speedo, turn signals, fuel level (would have to have some sort of fuel level float in the tank), and the other items the USLC tach has already, oil temp, shift light, etc. We have yet to pick one up but it could be an option for you.

Robert - RPM

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 07:35:37 pm »
I ordered a digital GPS unit from a e-bay seller and it came in today. I have it on the charger, it runs on 5 volts like a cell phone and plugs in to the USB port on a computer so I should be able to use an automobile type charger to power it. The digits are about an inch tall and easy to see. The operation is fairly simple, BUT you know how those Yokohama Hockey Shop Specials are. It might last a week, it might last forever, it may be accurate and it may not be. I guess we will see.

anything