Author Topic: Specialty Tools and Equipment  (Read 6087 times)

Offline Gerzabek

Specialty Tools and Equipment
« on: July 31, 2018, 07:45:04 pm »
Getting ready to race next season. Other than Car, Safety Equipment, and Trailer what else is needed at the track. Specialty tools or equipment? Thanks in advance.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Specialty Tools and Equipment
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 06:18:11 am »
Not a lot of specialty tools needed at the track. Usually a good selection of SAE and Metric wrenches and sockets will do most of what's necessary. I know a thin wall 36mm socket is necessary for tightening the driveshaft adaptor. A small air compressor, or air tank, is handy to have for adjusting tire pressures. A lot of guys are using cordless impact guns for lug nuts. A good jack and jack stands. A spanner wrench (for adjusting the coil over spring pre-load adjustment). And, of course, a BIG HAMMER!

The shop, or garage, may be a different story. If you plan to do your own set up work; scales and a caster/ camber gauge will be needed. If you will be doing engine work as well; A valve adjusting tool is good to have. If using the blue plate and red ignition coils; an air gap tool is handy.

I'm sure there are a lot of other tools, that would make life easier, that I am forgetting. But that's kind of the basics.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 01:47:23 pm »
To be added to Steve's previous list: Tire pressure gauge, toe plates for periodically checking toe out, generator, extension chords, some sort of fan for cooling the engine after each race, fuel jug & funnel, plastic tie straps of various sizes, duct tape, electrical tape, oil resistant RTV, torque wrench sometimes comes in handy, small amount of wire & wire connectors, spare nuts & bolts.

Hope this helps!
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 06:48:17 pm »
I just recently got toe plates. lol! Thanks Mark!!! String always works. But not the easiest way to do it.

I am fortunate enough to have a generator. Not necessarily a must have; But it sure make life a lot easier. Tire gauge is a must! Lets not forget tape measures. I have 2 (1 for general use, and 1 thin one for tire stagger measurements). I like to take tire temps; So a tire pyrometer is always nice to have around.

Did I mention a big hammer? LOL!

Lets throw spare parts in the mix... Bumpers, heims, various nuts and bolts (as already mentioned). Electrical ALWAYS seems to be suspect.

I don't know if you have a dealer in the pits during the races... But you will be amazed by the generosity and help from most of the other crews and drivers.

Steve

Offline Gerzabek

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 07:47:57 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions. That helps a lot.  What size generator do most have? At the kart track a Honda 2000 watt is enough. Looking at being able to run some  lights and fans at the same time, will also have small compressor. What type of fans do most use. We will be a hobby team so dont want to spend on fancy magnet wheel fans,would rather spend money on safety equip or driver coaching. To start I am going to rely on a dealer to set car up but hopefully will learn as we go to eventually learn about set up. Thanks again.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 01:20:41 am »
3,500 watt generator, small Craftsman air compressor (started with just an air tank years ago).

Make sure you get a set up in writing from whomever you get to set up the car. If you make changes at the track, you will not be able to go back yto your base set up. I have seen this happen a lot.

Steve

Offline Dirt75

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 06:47:59 pm »
I use a Honda 2000 and works for air compressor, fans, halogen lights on the trailer and inside the trailer. Basically works everything with no problem.

Offline Gerzabek

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 06:25:14 pm »
Thanks for the responses. Appreciate it.

Offline jason117

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 02:43:49 am »
I also like to take a ball joint/tie rod seperator tool for camber adjustments. I also take an oil drain pan.
And between races I always check the driveshaft nuts and bolts, front and rear. They can work themselves loose.

anything