Author Topic: Hydraulic Drift Brake  (Read 21712 times)

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
Hydraulic Drift Brake
« on: April 25, 2017, 07:01:22 pm »
I called around trying to find parts to use the Toyota brake backing plates, cable and lever. The few salvage yards that had 71 to 85 Toyota Celica's told me they were setting flat on the ground and if I wanted to look, I would have to raise them up, then they would tell me how much they wanted for the parts. Didn't sound like a good idea to me so I started searching.

Electric Line Locks used in Drag Racing wouldn't work because they are electric and draw a lot of power

I'm going to use a Drift Brake like the guys use for sliding the rear end around curves. Drifting seems a bit insane to me but then I'm an Old Man. But, the lever and master cylinder assemblies are available on e-bay for $34 to $190 Being a tightwad, I chose a $43 one with a reservoir. That way I wont have to depend on fluid from the car master cylinder. I don't know that it will work but we'll see.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Hydraulic Drift Brake
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 02:25:18 am »
You can buy most of the parts used, or new, at local wrecking yards, on eBay or your local parts store.
You don't need a "drift brake". It's a simple emergency brake. Don't over think it!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 11:57:48 am »
I guess I must retract my earlier comment.
I looked into the drift brake a bit more. It is a fairly compact unit and plumbs right into the rear brake line. Pretty Slick!
Problem I see is that it is not a mechanical system, which may be required depending on what state.

Steve

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 09:19:30 pm »
The Drift Brake was cheap but the fittings were hard to find. It works really well. If you buy one make sure you get the type that will lock until you release it. The brakes were not real good before the installation and the car master cylinder had to be replaced before it worked properly.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 02:17:16 pm »
Hi Dennis!!!! Good to see you on the site! It's been awhile!!!!
Dennis is the guy you want to talk to. He's been there and gone through all the BS that is required to meet the guidelines.

Steve

Offline jhendri542

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 03:26:55 pm »
The Drift Brake was cheap but the fittings were hard to find. It works really well. If you buy one make sure you get the type that will lock until you release it. The brakes were not real good before the installation and the car master cylinder had to be replaced before it worked properly.
Any chance you could make a diagram for how you had this set up and maybe some specifics on how you had this plumbed in?    Do you just run a tee to the rear drums?  I have some people run these with a separate master cylinder just for the drift brake.   The good news is they have inexpensive units that can be total free movement, but have a ratchet mechanism that you can insert for an actual parking brake.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 04:51:21 pm »
I know that the drift brake runs it's own master cylinder. I am sure Dennis can tell you how he plumbed it in. IF you use the drift brake for drifting events, you will not want it to lock up. That is a good part of what you will be using for a brake.

Steve