Author Topic: 15" Wheels  (Read 21939 times)

Offline canuckmark

Re: 15" Wheels
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 08:21:19 am »
I put "1987 Corolla GTS" into Tire Rack and the only wheels returned were 15" (3 varieties), pretty nice ones too. I did that because I could have sworn my neighbour (back when I was a kid) had an '86 with 15" wheels on it.

Regards, Mark

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2017, 10:12:31 am »
Hi Mark,  I found a lot of wheels that would fit but not any that I liked. I want a set of Smoothie type chrome wheels and Randy has a set that he is selling me. At 72 I guess you could call me old school. I'm talking about back when the world was still flat kind of old.

Offline canuckmark

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 11:37:16 am »
Ha ha no worries...yes, wheels is a very personal preference. Glad to hear you found a set.
Regards, Mark

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2017, 01:31:14 pm »
I got the wheels and they cleaned up really nice. I stopped at several tire stores last week and found the size 215/70/15 in a tread design and price that suited me, I took the wheels this morning and they had sold out of the tires I wanted and I'll have to wait until Tuesday. So I get to wait some more.

I found some open/un-welded 3.90 gears and the guy said he shipped them last Monday. If I had them I could get that part done, but I'll wait some more.

What really upsets me is I can remember when I was capable of planning things out. Now days I do one job then look to see what's next. If you guess that I do a lot of waiting, you are right.

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2017, 01:09:52 pm »
Update= the 15" wheels and tires are on, the shocks raised up, and the un-welded rear gears installed. It looks a little bit different, from the ground to the bottom of the frame at center of the door is 9-1/2"

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2017, 02:58:40 pm »
LOOKING GOOD!
Does the added height help with you getting in and out of the car?
How has the larger tires affected the RPM?
Is the open rear end gear helping with the street ability of the car?
I think you mentioned that the headlights had to be at a certain height to meet requirements. They just seem to be floating in space. lol! Can you pull them in and down a bit when you make your Permanent brackets? I think some aluminum brackets with cool looking holes (3 or 4 of different sizes. Smaller to larger) would give it a real awesome hot rod look. JMHO.
The car is looking awesome! Can't wait to hear how the front end alignment works out!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2017, 07:23:46 pm »
The headlights are mounted to the old fender supports with aluminum angle bolted to it to stiffen it. When I went to the bigger tires I had to raise the angle of the supports to clear, now they look a little strange. I'll check the minimum height again and figure out a different mount.

The RPM's have dropped a little, I still don't have a speedometer or tach but it is noticeable.

It is easier to get out. Getting in was never much of a problem. I don't miss the running boards, I was going to have to stiffen them if I kept them.

I don't know when I'll get the alignment, when I have time it is raining. The Patriot Guard went to a little town Saturday about 40 miles away. It rained both going and coming back. I had on my rain suit so I was not getting wet but I had trouble seeing through the windshield on my Goldwing.