Author Topic: Electical problem  (Read 6288 times)

Offline JGRacing

Electical problem
« on: July 13, 2009, 11:42:48 am »
Wanted to get some thoughts on my ignition problem from Saturday night.  Took the start in the heat race and it immediately started missing through the RPM range.  Went back to the pits and it would start fine and noticed that over 3500 RPM’s the tach needle would go crazy.  We were digging into it and the engine cut off.  Not idled down and died, but completely cut off.  We could not get it restarted.  The starter was working, but there was no spark at the plugs.  I pulled all plugs and they all looked OK.  The header temp was the same on each cylinder when I pulled off, so it was not an issue with just one cylinder.  After playing around, it finally fired up and ran.  In the staging area it cut out a couple of times, but then would restart.  I pulled onto the track with it really stumbling then it completely cut out and would not restart. 

The engine ran fine the last time out until I broke the prongs inside of one of the spark plug boots.  Both coils were replaced with used one that were on a running motor.  Fuel pump was working fine and it did not seem to be a carb problem.  I have a black box on it, so if I need to replace the coils can I use red coils?  I am going to trace the wiring from the power to the ignition switch all the way through to the plugs and see if I can find the problem.  Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can narrow down the search?  The coils are the new item in the mix and the most obvious place to look, but as everyone knows who has been around racing, it is rarely the obvious thing that it the problem.  ???     

Offline thunder938

Re: Electical problem
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 12:36:58 pm »
I Had my car braking up and mixing up the cyl. about 1/2 way down the straights, until it just shut of at the start of the 1st heat race.  While looking at the fuses I noticed that it would crank and I had fans just no ing.  I found that one of the screws on the juntion block under the dash came loose and the ing. system was loosing power.  The cheap fix ever just tighten up the screw and it done.....I check those now all the time...:)

Dave
Dave

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 11:49:32 am »
Think I found the problem.  One of the the starter mounting bolts was where a few important items had ground wires running to, and it looks like it came out.  I did not get a chance to wind up the motor to see if it still has the miss, but it now actually starts.  Tonight I should be able to get it warmed up and see what it does at higher RPM's. 

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 11:17:52 am »
I ran the motor last night and it sounded great.  After getting a close look at what is behind my dash, a new wiring harness will be on my to do list this winter. 

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 01:10:36 pm »
Locktite the screws and ground bolts. Would rather take a few extra seconds to undo them, than to be DQ'ed or miss out because I didn't.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Sagermotorsports

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 05:59:42 pm »
JG,

No you cannot use the red coils on the black box, but you can use the black coils on the red box. Go figure

Brett

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 06:15:32 pm »
Thanks Brett.  I was hoping that if I need to start replacing parts that I could spread it out instead of having to buy the entire system at one time.

Sagermotorsports

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 10:02:33 am »
No problem, If you get the parts in the right order you can buy yourself some extra time and money and that always helps

Brett