Author Topic: Best way to slow Bandos  (Read 19240 times)

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Best way to slow Bandos
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 11:50:11 am »
Jimmy,

Thanks for the update on Logan. Always good to hear about quick recoveries and non-lasting injuries!
I think that kids are fairly tough. They heal up a lot quicker than us old guys. lol!
Think about some of the crazy stuff we did as kids. Surprising we have lasted this long!

As for slowing the cars; Here is what I am seeing in the rules:

16. GEAR SPROCKETS: Any combination of stock axle
gear sprockets may be used (unless a “gear rule” is in place at
a particular track).
(page 73)

3. CLUTCH GEAR: The only clutch gear permitted
is the 12, 13, 14 or 15 tooth as delivered by 600 Racing.
The only clutch springs allowed are the ones as delivered
by 600 Racing. The clutch otherwise must remain in its
stock configuration as currently sold by 600 Racing, Inc.
No other modifications are permitted to the clutch (i.e.-
use of a non-slip clutch, welding of the clutch). The clutch
shoes must remain unaltered with the exception of regular
maintenance by sanding the shoe face. The shoe must not
be thinner than .180” to be measured at either end of the
shoe (both ends must be .180” or more). Certain racetracks
may require a mandatory gear combination.
(page 78)

I think perhaps a gear rule for each track may be the better option. I also thought about breaking the divisions:
1. BANDITS: (Drivers between the ages of 8 - 11).
2. YOUNG GUNS: (Drivers between the ages of 12 - 15).
3. OUTLAWS: (Drivers age 16 and older).
(page 66?)
into sub categories, or less powerful classes. Newer/or younger drivers driving less powerful cars... And then graduating up to more powerful cars as they gain experience. Like I say, Just a thought. Kind of like moving up in the karting ranks.

Tristan suggested to me, in a PM, that perhaps more safety measures could be an option. More padding, bars, etc...  As he is new to racing and driving this year, I am interested in his opinion. He seemed to suggest that the speed wasn't so much a factor. Although, as a parent; I think it would be a consideration to us. As a racer, that's what I love about racing... The Speed! Adrenaline Rush!!!

Something else to consider is that new/ or younger drivers tend to get tunnel vision... They focus more on what "they" are doing, and not so much on what is happening on the track. It is a problem that I see in any type of racing. I think it is also a factor in young drivers on the street also. As we mature ( and /or grow ) in our driving experiences, we tend to pay more attention to what is going on around us and anticipate problems. At least in a race car we don't have the distraction of cell phones, (for the most part) Radios, or the distractions of others in the car. It's an educational process as well as a maturing process.

I really DON'T have an answer... I think it will be up to parents voicing their concerns to INEX and the various tracks to come up with some sort of solution.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline mch46

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2009, 01:23:43 pm »
I don't think a "throttle stop" would work because of the many ways to manipulate the throttle cable and throttle shaft-- tech nightmare!!!  Gear rule won't help because everyone will be on the rev limiter at the finish line and it'll become a blocking and bumping contest. 

Another option is to run a "chip" in the rev box, say 4600 rpm, or whatever it takes to slow the cars to the desired speed.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2009, 03:30:36 pm »
The chip may be the best bet! Limit the RPMs -  limit the top end speed.

Question;
Should the speeds be graduated (increased) as experience is gained? Not necessarily related to age.

Steve

Offline 3nracing97

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2009, 10:04:48 am »
We tested last night and the INEX tech official decided on a 14  63 gear.  Jacob was running 20.50's with that and the 96 was consiatantly .2 to .3 sec. faster than us so that sould put us in the 20.20 range.  The 96 did try a 13  63 and was on the rev limiter before the corner and was on it through mid corner and ran 20.6.   The track did say we are going to try this for 5 weeks and then we will have a meeting and see if there should be any changes.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2009, 10:35:17 am »
Let us know how things turn out. I still think that changing the chip is the best way to go. Obviously there would be gearing changes that come along with that.
 :-\ ???

Steve

Offline free2race

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2009, 03:52:58 pm »
I'm all for the gear rule for safety. Mitchel and I have talked about this since the wreck. And we will probably be in the hunt for a legends car pretty soon.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 09:36:10 pm »
Changing from a car you already think is too fast, to a car that is even quicker....
Think that's wise at this point?

Steve

Offline free2race

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 11:06:42 pm »
Well,in my thinking, If they go to a gear rule and are trying to slow the cars down. Then a gear rule will really bunch up the field and there will be alot more beating and banging. Because everyone will be in a tight blob.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2009, 12:01:58 pm »
It's kind of a trade off...
IF parents want slower cars for young/ or new drivers, then the field will likely get bunched up and the resulting beating and banging will be a result there of.
So, I still have to asked the question; Should the speeds be graduated (increased) as experience is gained? Not necessarily related to age.  Along with that comes questions of who decides. Would it be based on finishes, what the track officials think, what the parents think... ??? I don't think that putting a young, or inexperienced, driver in a faster, more powerful car is the solution. Then, to throw them out there with experienced drivers... Gonna get some folks pretty upset! Not to mention a greater chance for injury.

I'm still going to suggest that changing the chip on the rev limiter; and/or graduating the field, look like viable options as opposed to just a gear rule. The biggest down side is that there are a lot of tracks with very few cars. Chance and Tristan have eluded to the fact that sometimes they have as few as 4 cars and other times as many as 7.  Not great car counts! In that respect; Tracks, and Track Promoters, have a rough job in trying to justify running the class at all. I would like to hear Tracy's thoughts on that.

If you really want to get some heated debate going... There are a number of race fans that go to see the wrecks. I, personally, like to go watch a clean, well run race.  As a driver/ owner; I don't have the money and time to be repairing equipment on a regular basis. If I were a track owner or promoter; I would like to see the people filling my stands get there excitement. As I said; It's going to be a trade off. Where you draw the line... I don't know! I don't think most people want to see a driver injured... But, the wrecks can be pretty spectacular! Just ask some of our members who have been there and done that. !!!

I posed the question over on legendsnation.  Have gotten responses that include such comments as "you don't want my opinion" (guessing not a Bando fan) to similar suggestions that are being made in this thread. I would like to see some kind of compromise come out of this question, and the comments that are being made by those concerned.

Have fun!!! .... But Be Safe!!!

Steve
Answer??? Looks like this debate could take a while. INEX, the parents, the racers, and the track owners are going to have to hash this one out

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2009, 12:37:10 pm »
In my non-Bandolero-educated opinion, the restrictor plates would be the most logical choice. Easy to tech, easy to change from track to track, and affordable. I don't think graduating performance based on experience, or sub-categorizing divisions will do the sport any good, with the car counts as low as they are now, might as well do autocross if you're going to go that direction....hey wait...maybe thats what Steve wants, more guys to autocross with!
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2009, 01:06:22 pm »
LOL!

Jim,

I have been learning a lot about the Bandos myself.  This year (so far)  Has Been Very Educational... With the help of our Bando members.!!!  ;)  I don't think they will let me run a Bando car... Too Old! LOL!!! As far as the non-traditional (INEX)... SCCA could be an option for people like me that don't have tracks that run Legends, Bandos or Thunder Cars; Or are a long distance away. It's a 4 to 6 hour trip to the nearest tracks for me.

Steve

Offline free2race

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009, 02:22:07 pm »
Just got off the phone with the people at Monroe and they have a gear rule in effect for 5 weeks. From what Mr. Rusty said it will be a 14/63 combo.

Offline free2race

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2009, 01:44:22 am »
Just got home from our race at Monroe with the new gear rule in effect. We started 3rd, and after we swapped the 2nd place with Mr. Nixon a couple of times. We finished 2nd. There was a wreck that never happened. Both Mitchel and Jacob did a great job. Jacob had a great save in turns 3 and it continued into turn 4 sideways. But he was able to save it.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2009, 02:10:33 am »
Sounds like a good night!
So do you think the gear rule is a good thing?

Steve

Offline Bando9

• WE ALL WANT TO GO FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Gonnamracing9
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2009, 09:09:03 am »
nice job never heard of a gear rule do they just make you run one gear
I race in the Midwest send me a mp if you are racing up hear.