Author Topic: Carb issue I think  (Read 11541 times)

Offline GoneDirt

• Parker Power Sports
Carb issue I think
« on: June 09, 2009, 10:46:43 pm »
installed the red restrictor plate and change jets to a little bigger and ran 3 rounds of practice and ran very fast then all of a sudden it went sluggish, it will rev up fast then bog down  and wont hit the rev limiter, checked plugs one plug was a little more rich. Replaced both plugs and now when going from idle to WOT the motor stalls, I put the stock jets back in check gaps with no luck, changed carb and same result, I can remove the restrictor plate and runs better with a little hesitation at acceleration, I am at a loss of what else to check.

Offline free2race

Re: Carb issue I think
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 11:44:37 pm »
Just make sure you installed the plate according to the 600 racing site. Please check that BOTH plugs are gapped the same also.

Offline Bando9

• WE ALL WANT TO GO FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Gonnamracing9
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 10:26:10 am »
that stinks i don't get whats wrong
Maby its the ristrictor plate
I race in the Midwest send me a mp if you are racing up hear.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 11:17:35 am »
Here is the correct proceedure for installing the restrictor plate:

http://www.600racing.com/inex_info/tech_updates/512530.html

Hope that helps.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline 3nracing97

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 01:37:52 pm »
Check your valve lash.  Also make sure your fuel cell is full and the lines are flowing good.  Might also want to check the fuel cell vent line.  Another thing is try running the compression.  I just found out this week I have had a bad motor in my car I have been fighting for a month and finally found I had only 100# of compression.  I have found out that when these motors go bad they do it with no warning.

Offline mch46

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 03:10:12 pm »
Are you pulsing the fuel pump from the carb or from the valve cover?

Offline free2race

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 05:44:59 pm »
If the motor in 3nracing97 was bad. I would like to buy that motor. That car is wicked fast.

Offline 3nracing97

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 06:23:35 pm »
It just had no power,  we had it geared as high as we could so we could get top speed.  It sucked on the starts but he could keep it rolling and it was horrible trying to pass,  if he let out he was going nowhere.  It was pretty good though with the plate in the wrong spot!!

Offline GoneDirt

• Parker Power Sports
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 07:13:05 pm »
just checked the valves and they were at 9in 14 out, i set them to 6 in 8 out, checked the plugs and gapped to .030 I removed the restricter and revs fast all the way to the rev limit. reinstalled the restricter plate and a slight hesitation during acceleration but will rev to the rev limiter.
I have the stock jets back in and also tried bigger and mad no difference.

also done a compression check and pumped 175

Offline 3nracing97

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 08:39:57 pm »
The valves being out could have been alot of the problem I have ran into that before and it ran fine after I got the valves right.  The bad thing is the only way to know if it is right is to put it on the track under load.

Offline GoneDirt

• Parker Power Sports
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 08:55:30 pm »
i also noticed rust on the flywheel, not sure if that could effect the spark

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 09:32:57 pm »
If you can pull the flywheel and clean it; I don't think it would hurt. The magnets on the flywheel are what trigger the spark.
Any idea of what your timing is set at?
Maybe a degree change in your timing would be a plus... I'm thinking around 8* to start. Don't really know!  ???
Restrictor plates will change your power band. My thinking  is : 1) make sure the plate is installed properly. 2) I am of the thought that maybe stock jets should do alright. I don't know anything about these engines; But... Are your carbs in sync? 3) You will have to gear differently. With these small engines, from what I have learned so far, momentum is what it's all about. The less you get on and off the throttle the better. Driver style change? Some are of the opinnion that it's about sliding through the turns. I'm inclined to agree because there is no front suspension. Ride heights may play a part in the handling. I know that doesn't help with engine hesitation.... Just thinking that you want the nose as low as you can get it. Let the right rear shock and spring take the brunt of the body roll and weight transfer so that it plants the right rear tire. As I have no real world experience with the Bando cars, these are only guesses on my part.

I haven't had a lot of time lately, but will try to do some research for you. Let me know what I can do to help.

Steve

Offline GoneDirt

• Parker Power Sports
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 02:51:32 pm »
an update on the problem, I took the engine to 600 and the motor was worn out , so we got a new engine,  Thanks for all the helpful input from everyone

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 05:33:15 pm »
Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear that it is an engine rebuild though!
Hopefully, that will keep you going for awhile though.

Best Of Luck!!!

Steve

Offline Bando9

• WE ALL WANT TO GO FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Gonnamracing9
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 10:17:50 pm »
that stinks but you get a new engine atleast
I race in the Midwest send me a mp if you are racing up hear.

anything