Author Topic: Crashes  (Read 15476 times)

Offline Vern Houseman

Crashes
« on: June 07, 2009, 12:45:15 pm »
We had a pritty bad crash last nite at susquahana speedway Josh Morrow ,flipped his car, landed on his lid then the car went up in flames, wow what a bad deal ,they medivac him out of there ,rummor has it it was for percuation reasons, his car was totaled , but have to give it to the track guys for getting him out of there , still waitting to hear how hes doing.

Vernon Houseman #20

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Crashes
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 03:14:12 pm »
My thoughts and prayers to Josh.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 03:49:12 pm »
here Is an update On Josh Morrowcar owner for Josh Morrow, Josh is in the York Hospital, Tower 3-337, He has back and shoulder injuries and a punctured lung; he will be in the hospital until at least Thursday. Fred wants to thank every one that helped load his car and pack up his trailer while he was with Josh
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline GoneDirt

• Parker Power Sports
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 06:25:54 pm »
Our prayers are with Josh for a speedy recovery. I have raced against him down here in the Carolina's and he is very talented driver.

Clint & Deborah Parker

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 09:43:31 am »
I would like to start by saying that my thoughts and prayers go out to Josh and his family. I hope he has a speedy recovery. He truly is a nice young man.

I think that wearing some kind of head and neck restraint is a great idea. I have a Hutchins but don’t wear it now that I race up in PA. The reason is they have a “no mirror” rule and with it on I can not turn my head to see if someone is on the outside or inside. They say that rule is to stop blocking but I think not having a mirror is a safety issue. You can tell when someone is blocking. I just wish they would let us use them.

Scott #77w
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 11:56:59 am »
Wow...I have a totally different opinion on mirrors. I think that having the mirrors is more of a safety concern. I can hear when someone is on the inside or outside of my car, so if Iwanted to block, it would be just as easy, but I feel you need to pay attention to whats going on in front of you more than behind you.

After last years wreck, Istarted using the G-Force SRS-1. As far as turning your head, I think it has the most side to side movement available, but what kind of seat are you running that you can turn your head to see who's coming? I'm so tight in the seat, along with head supports on both sides, I couldnt swivel my head if i wanted to....I guess thats how I walked away without a scratch last year
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 12:34:08 pm »
it is hard to beleive what I seen looking at joshes car afterwards ...... the top of the seat from where it clears the sheet metal up was bent back between 4 to 6 inches. this has me thinking about seat choices too I currently wear the hans with the movable strapes. It was an eye opener watching his car in the air and watching them get him out after it caught on fire.there pritty much wasnt nothing left on his car that wasnt bent or broken .makes  ya think at upgrading to better equipment.
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 12:47:45 pm »
Safety equipment is the most important thing, yet the one thing most of us cheap out on. Thats why I gave away 2 fire systems this year, people just dont spend money to save their life, but they'll drop big $$ to gain 1/10th here or there.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline jgrimracing

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 02:20:14 pm »
Vern,
Justin got a call on Saturday night just after you guys came off the track.  It sounded pretty bad for sure.  I hope there are no life long problems for Josh, as mentioned here he is a great guy and and a great driver.  Justin's seat was bent pretty far back last year after Grandview too.  I am not sure it was bent that far back though.  These kind of crashes really do make you think about your stuff.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 02:49:47 pm »
I’m not staring into the mirror but just a quick glance to make sure you are clear. I can’t hear crap with ear plugs in and if someone is talking on the race radio then there is no chance to hear. I also have worked in the Aviation field for way to long to be able to hear. I just wish I had one and the rule book says we can but it is a track thing.

I know that I need to upgrade my seat too. I just hate to see someone get hurt.

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline thunder938

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 04:19:35 pm »
I use the G-Force SRS-1 also, it does allow you to turn your head a more than other systems out there.  I also use a full head brace bolted to the seat.  The group I race with we CAN have mirrors.  The group fells that it is a safety thing, trust me if you mirror drive and block the other driver WILL move you and you may not like it.  I use a over head mirror and a small convex mirror on the a-post of the cage.  This mirror lets me see the left rear tire and I do not have to move my head at all.
Dave

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 04:24:48 pm »
You're asphalt, Dave, right? Maybe I'm wrong, but it's more of a dirt thing with the tracks saying no mirrors. Was talking to another driver who has run on asphalt (not Legends) for years, and started running Legends this year with us and said he'll never go back to running mirrors, even on his asphalt car.

I dont know...We can't use them, I never have...i guess thats all I have to offer on the subject.

I hope Josh gets out of this Ok.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline thunder938

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 08:21:28 pm »
Gees I guess I will just stay out of this....
Dave

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 08:46:16 pm »
No offense intended, I was really just asking. I think that all the asphalt guys can run mirrors, but most of the dirt tracks don't allow it, that's all I was getting at. You can't stay out of it, because I already got out of it, if you go away, then it will leave Scott talking to himself  :D

Maybe Steve will hop in...haven't heard much from him lately...
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 09:07:26 pm »
I have raced on asphalt and dirt and until last year never without a mirror and honestly don't like not having a mirror especially on dirt.  It makes it really tough to make clean passes without a mirror and I think it hurts the racing.  When I have used a mirror on dirt this year and at the Nationals last season I was able to make a lot more moves that I wouldn't have done before.  I dont mirror drive and don't see it as an issue on dirt, their is always another groove to use.

Hopoefully Josh heals up quick and doesn't have any lingering effects from this crash.  I think we should all evaluate our safety systems, I know I have after my crash last week.  With these cars once you crash the nerf bars fold up and trap you in the car so you have to be equipped to handle things until the rescue crew can get to you.  Also  a big item is the seat, make sure its bolted in properly and make sure you get a high quality seat.  I use a full containment seat and wouldn't race with anything less, especially with those floppy head rests most guys are using.  If you can move it with your hand their is no way its going to stop your mellon in a crash.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

anything