Author Topic: Engine performance vs. Engine Damage  (Read 12646 times)

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Engine performance vs. Engine Damage
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 04:08:56 pm »
The thing to remember is that these motorcycle engines are being put into a vehicle that weighs twice what the engine was designed for. Stock FJ1200 weight approxamately 575 lbs. Basic Legends Car weighs 1100 lbs. Dyna tech makes some good performance products.
The question is about hitting the rev-limiter... Good, Bad, or Indifferent?
KB has already stated that his black ignition box is not of the vacuum type.

Steve

Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Sagermotorsports

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 07:04:11 pm »
K B, If you have the standard black box , the limit is 9,600 or 9,700 and you are hitting the limiter now, being new to racing and I am sure that as your skills improve so will your speed. That was a good point about riding the limiter and shaking your motor to pieces. Me personally, if you are that concerned with either breaking the motor or the ignition and if you have the money ?? put the red box in, leave the gears where they are and then check the recall on your tach at the end of the run. You can run these motors up to 10,500 and not blow them up. But this way you can get a few extra r's out of it and not worry about breaking the ignition and after you keep track of your top rpm it will let you decide if your going to change gears. In my opinion this gives you wiggle room in either direction.But there are many people on here with more knowledge than I have.

Brett

Offline knuclebuster

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 03:21:38 pm »
Again, Thanks for the replys.  If we dont get rained out this afternoon, im going to the track to run some laps.  I will pay more attention to where and when Im on the chip and what my top rpm's are.

John mentioned that if I did go to the red box that I would need to red coils, rotors.  What is involved in changeing the rotors?  If you put in the red box do you have to change the coils and rotors also?

Thanks Brett, John, Jim, Jeff and Steve for your thoughts.

KB

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 03:35:30 pm »
From what I understand, you would need the rotor.  The black coils might work for awhile, but can burn out when used with the red box.  If you can find a vacuum black box, you can stay with the parts you have, but finding one might be the difficult part.     

Offline knuclebuster

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2009, 07:00:36 pm »
Thanks John,
 I'll keep my eye out.  Again what is involved in changing the rotor? 

Well if you guys look at the national radar you'll see that Denver is getting hammered by snow and North Louisiana is getting hammered by rain, the rest of the nation looks pretty good.  :'(  No testing this weekend, maybe next Thursday.

Ive got some set up questions that Im going to post tonight or tomorrow, I hope you guys will look at it and give me some of your thoughts.

Todd

Sagermotorsports

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 08:24:44 pm »
KB,

Changing the rotor isn't too bad. Follow the wires from your ignition to the back of the motor. There is a plate there that you take off and the rotor is right there. When you get the red box there will be easy to follow instructions on installation and timing. JG was right , you can use the black coils with a red box AS LONG AS THE COILS ARE  3 OHM !!!. There will be a number on the coil , give 600 the number and they will tell you if they are 3 ohm. ( I use the black coils with the red box ) but you can't use the black box with the red coils

Brett

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2009, 09:01:59 am »
In my 2 cent opinion, I would keep the black box and change gears. Reason being...as you race more, you'll probably travel more, and need the different gear sets for different race tracks you visit to be competitive, thus your investment in a gearset would be  more beneficial in my mind than relacing a perfectly good ignition system. If the box dies, then go ahead and but a red box system, but until then, if it aint broke....
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/