Author Topic: Reclipping a Bando  (Read 29908 times)

Offline 3nracing97

Reclipping a Bando
« on: April 13, 2009, 08:50:16 am »
Has anyone ever reclipped a Bando?  Ours hit the wall hard and demolished the rear clip.  The rest of the frame looks ok and looking at the clips 600 sells it doesn't look like I would have to have a jig.

Offline ruracin61

• Cars R My Stars
    • 61 racing
Re: Reclipping a Bando
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 08:56:13 am »
What does reclipped mean? Juat wondering. ???
! Cars R My Stars !
 http://61racing.webs.com/
61 racing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline 3nracing97

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 11:11:37 am »
The rear clip is the frame section behind the main part of the cage(behind the drivers compartment).  They can be removed and repalced.

Offline ruracin61

• Cars R My Stars
    • 61 racing
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 11:13:54 am »
 ok is it like a part that looks like a clip and it connects a part of the rear tire?
! Cars R My Stars !
 http://61racing.webs.com/
61 racing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 03:45:03 pm »
The parts circled in red are the front and rear clips.
A picture is worth a thousand words.  ;)
Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 04:15:43 pm »
Kevin,

You might talk to Jeff and see if he can build you a new clip.
The frame in the pic above is listed on racingjunk.com.
Ed (BandoStuff) might be able to help you out also.

Steve

Offline bandostuff.com

• BandoStuff.com
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 04:37:39 pm »
Here are photos of the clips from 600.  I know it sounds crazy but last time I checked the front clip was $350.00 and the rear clip $300.00.  When replacing a front clip, only tack weld the round  tube where it slips into the square tube.  This is designed to "crush" on impact, buckeling the floor asorbing energy.

For all your Langacre & HANS needs-www.bandostuff.com

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 05:00:58 pm »
Thanks for the pics and the tip Ed!

Steve

Offline 3nracing97

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 06:47:12 pm »
I think I am going to try and clip it myself.  The clip from 600 looks like it will go on without the need for a jig, which was my main concern.   Your picture is alot better than the one on 600's website.  It looks like the upper round tubes are notched and if they are I know I can clip it myself since the measurements can only go one way.  Thanks for all the help.
Kevin

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 11:45:54 am »
Just be sure you get them straight and square.

Steve

Offline free2race

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 10:29:53 pm »
How's the reclip going?

Offline 3nracing97

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 12:35:39 pm »
Waiting for the clip to get here, will probably be here monday.  It couldn't have come at a better time though,  we have a week off after this week and it looks like a wash out this week!!  Hows your car coming?

Offline 3nracing97

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 06:08:26 pm »
I got the clip in friday and I started the project today about 11:00 and had it welded in by 4:00.  I could have been done faster but I decided to replace the front frame horns while I was fixing stuff and I also went inside for lunch for a while.  I am going to post how I did this and a few pics.

I already had the body removed and all the parts in the rear area earlier in the week so I could see what all I needed and order parts.

This is what I started out with.

Offline 3nracing97

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 06:27:00 pm »
I measured where the square tubing was located on the bottom frame.  Make sure and grind down the welds and use a square to scribe lines on the frame to help locate the square tubing.  The upper bars can only go on one way.  I used a torch and cut the floor from the square tubing I was going to cut out.    You can use a grider and cut the welds on the floor and pull it away but cutting it looked alot easier and I don't expect this to be the last time I will ever reclip one of these things! 

I used the torch and cut the tubes.  Make sure and do this on the side you are cutting off ( I know this is obvious but it is easy to screw up, Trust me) and be carful not to burn through the good bars.  You can use a saw for this also.  Now for the real fun part,  all the grinding.  Grind off all that is left of the old bars.  There are 2 bars that run down the center of the frame at the bottom that you need to be carefull with.  I ground down all the welds on the top and sides to where I could see a line of where the old square tubing met up with these bars.  Take a chisel and split the break to get the piece if steel left off of the old square tubing, this will leave the ends of the tubes open.

Offline 3nracing97

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 06:43:10 pm »
Putting the clip in place was pretty easy.  I had to use a porta-power to spread the frame rails apart to get the square tubing part in.  The new piece was close to fitting and I only had to spread it apart maybe 1/16".  I lined up the scribe marks with the outside of the tubing and made sure everything was flush.  I had to grind down one of the bars that runs down the center a little but other than that the bottom fitted real good.  I got the top bars where they where flush against the vertical tubes.  The tubes are notched so it is easy to put them together.  I did have to spread the top bars a little to get them nice and flush but it fit very well.  I tacked it all together and checked if everything was level and square.  The motor mount is level with the main frame so it is a good place to check. 

I finish welded everything and it looks great.  Some of the tubes going to the square tubing is not finish welded on the new clip so make sure and weld everything.  There are some braces that are not on the new clip that you will have to make.  I am going to cut off the braces that run from over the trailing arm pick up points to in front of the motor plate since they are not cut or bent.  The bars that run to the main vertical bars are easy to make.

The new clip fits very well which kinda surprised me since this car is 10 years old.

Hope thi helps some people,
Kevin

anything