Author Topic: Helllllllllllllp ???  (Read 9275 times)

Offline Vern Houseman

Helllllllllllllp ???
« on: March 25, 2009, 09:39:20 pm »
Pretty close to Ricky's prob motor not running right ? took it to the track sat at Lincoln,car was missing around idle and top end ? carbs have been adjusted and valves too.some times during the race it would run ok then start backfiring latter in race ? I just took gas tank apart and cleaned ,cleaned filters and just got done taking carbs apart and cleaned.ran motor and still not right, I took temps , 1st cylinder around 280 second cylinder 480 and third cylinder was 300 and fourth around 490 ? I am making up a new set of wires as we speak, also have installed new plugs. I am running red box set up >>> like I said helppppp thanks Vern

Vernon Houseman #20

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
Re: Helllllllllllllp ???
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 09:48:11 pm »
Double check your wires to the coils and look at your ignition pickup and make sure everything is good there. 
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 09:50:52 pm »
Did you blow out all the passages in the carbs? Only takes a small particle of dirt to block a fuel or air passage.
Did you soak the carbs or just use spray carb cleaner? Soaking seems to work best.
Is carb adjusted properly? Are carbs syncronized?
Any air leaks? Gaskets, boots, etc...? You can try spraying a little WD40 around those areas while the engine is running. If you hear a change in the engine, that could be a suspect area.

On the electrical side; like Jeff suggested. Check for loose wires, bad connections, dirty contacts, etc...
New plugs and wires won't hurt either.

Random thoughts.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 10:08:46 pm »
just finished up new wires will try tomorrow nite. I checked all connections they where good. carbs where sync the other nite and still did it. I have one coming in the mail the next few days so I  will sync again I checked for leaks too , I will try the spray thing too after the new wires are installed.if that doesn't works I guess its time to spend some money on new ign ? dang only one race into the season already.....
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 10:12:38 pm »
Why do you have one coming?
New set, or just one carb?

Steve

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 10:23:48 pm »
I have a synk meter comming .
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 10:31:22 pm »
just finished up new wires will try tomarrow nite. I checked all connections they where good. carbs where synk the other nite and still did it. I have one comming in the mail the nexts few days so I  will synk again I checked for leaks too , I will try the spray thing too after the new wires are installed.if that dosnt works I guees its time to spend some money on new ign ? dang only one race into the season already.....

Sorry! Thought you were talking about ordering one carb. Post was not very clear.

Steve

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 10:39:56 pm »
not a problem. my bad!
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline apm motorsports

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 10:53:54 pm »
 run a sep ground wire from battery to engine bolt .  connect  red box ground to that bolt as any other grounds.  make sure  all screws are tight on ing switch  and connections.  make sure pick up plate is not loose.  make sure plug wires are all the way into the coils. check red light on box for steady blinking. check ends of coil wires for bad connections. if car runs good then  sputters loose wire or ground

Offline apm motorsports

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 11:01:36 pm »
also  if  nothing works  stills  runs bad check for  hair line crack on intake cam , only on pinned cams right next to  chain side

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 05:48:07 am »
looks like a long long... but thanks guys hope ill have some luck with it.   Vern
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 09:08:37 am »
Check the boots from the motor to the carbs.  If they are not tight or there is a hole the car will run very bad.  Does the idle seem high after the motor warms up?  That is usually a sign of a vacuum leak.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 06:15:16 pm »
Vern,

Any updates for us?

Steve

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 11:36:16 pm »
just came in ??? I changed the plugs and sync the carbs  it seems to be ??? ok sounds a lot better I did check everything I could ? will work on it tomorrow and see whats ,,,, what ? thanks guys
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 09:29:46 pm »
well finally ran the motor today, and all is good, motor ran great thanks for all the help guys......
Vernon Houseman #20