Author Topic: How To.....squaring axle housing.  (Read 42551 times)

knoxracing

Re: How To.....squaring axle housing.
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 04:43:16 pm »
You can square the rear by plumb  bobbing from the lower ball joints to the rear bearing carriers. BUT if you are trying to measure diagonal be careful because the rear off set is only about a 1/4". The front ball joints are not the same. In other words the ball joints are not inline with the bearing carriers and this will throw your diagonal measure off. To answer the question about the towers being straight, you are taking the measurement from the base of the shock towers, they usually  stay pretty close to straight.  You can always call me and I will be happy to offer free info.
Dennis Knox
Buckeye Legends
330-310-9212

Offline slack11

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 05:46:07 pm »
thanks for the info and the offer... I'm gonna give it another go tonight and see how I fare.  Good to know about the balljoints/ diagonals, that could have been the next thing I would have chased for a few hours before realizing.....
This is the first time I have had to do this, and when trying to drop lines/ measure from the front lower ball joints it started to seem as if that would be a moving target...  The bar across the front and the measurements from the rear to that have got to be very, very close....

I measured it that way (with the bar on the front) last night and ended up getting numbers that told me my rear was 1/2" out of square.... Pointing towards the outside wall....  my car has been horrible this year, I have been chasing this since I started, but a 1/2' from what I have read would just about kill any setup I  put in it.

Thanks again, and I'll call if I get stuck.

Nate

Offline cmg motorsports

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 04:30:02 pm »
The other guy was correct to a point measuring off the tubes. However, when we build ours , the cap is machined so that it fits in the tube tight with a seam left for me to weld. No room for mis alignment.
However, I always stress to my customers to measure off the end cap if at all possible. When our housings are built, they are within .004 of being straight through the center  and off the caps so that what makes measuring off the cap better. If the housing is not straight through the middle or off the caps, it doesnt matter how you measure. In other words, when squaring you rear housing, be sure to start with a new or housing that has been checked for straightness.
I also say to square your rear off your front clip and not the bar behind the seat. Most chassis I have found the bar not square with the front. That will not allow you to square the car up correctly.
I also suggest running a little rear steer in the car. This will also help the car on corner entry.
Just my opinion.

Mike
CMG Motorsports.com

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 09:04:27 pm »
Mike,

You do realize this thread was first posted in '07? Technology may have changed some of the thinking since then.
I am still of the thinking to keep the rear end square.
JMHO,

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline DMAMotorsports

• DMA Motorsports
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 04:18:42 pm »
excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject but these measurements are all taken with the car sitting on all fours? how do you guys with out a drive on lift get an accurate reading? any pictures of the redneck version Jim?
Anthony K.
DMA Motorsports

Offline Matt08

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2019, 05:29:12 pm »
When measureing from the front shock towers back to the rear end with the tool clamped to the frame wouldn?t the rf wheel be sticking out further then the rr making a stright measurement not possibull ?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2019, 08:13:29 pm »
Measure across the center of the wheel. Camber can certainly make the tire stick out farther (top or bottom). Here is a n easy explanation on caster, camber and toe. http://yospeed.com/wheel-alignment-explained-camber-caster-toe/
Hope that helps you.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.