LEGENDS > Drivetrain & Gearing

How To.....squaring axle housing.

(1/5) > >>

DARK AGE 53:
Here's what I use.

1. Aluminum vertical drapery track.
2. Braided Nylon String, 14" or so long.
3. 4 multipurpose magnets from Harbor Freight ( 6 1/4" magnets for $2 each ).
4. Ruler.
5. A couple of nuts for the string.
6. Masking tape.

From the pics you can see how I mount the aluminum track to the frame, I use this to measure back to the string.
I like to place to the string as far out as possible, using masking tape to hold it to the top of the  axle tubes.
I measure from the track ( or what ever you're using ) to the string, if not square adjust one or both of the trailing arms......this can change your wheel base though.

Here's some pics.

Al

DARK AGE 53:
three more pics..

DARK AGE 53:
I think this is it..

DARK AGE 53:
last pic, BTW, the reason the aluminum track is longer ( 60" long ) then needed is because that's what I had and it was free. ;D

gramps05:
For what its worth, to get the most accurate readings your string should be on the bearing carriers not on the tubes, they are usually not centered but the bearing carriers should be if the unit was built properly. One of the pictures shows  the string on the weld, if you moved it about 1/2 inch to the left it would be on the carrier. Some of the rear ends are way out of alignment, see the CMG motorsports web site for a how to check the alignment. Why so much lead?          http:cmgmotorsports.com/housings.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version