Author Topic: Looking for 292 Gear and clutch info.  (Read 11981 times)

Offline Jredd

Looking for 292 Gear and clutch info.
« on: June 13, 2007, 10:26:47 am »
I am new to this forum.  I have spent several hours reading over the different subjects and am very impressed with how everyone is so helpful.

I am looking for information on the following items and would appreciate any assistance you can give me:

Rear end gears;  I am running SCCA autocross and time trials and I need to find a ring an pinion gear with a 2.92 ratio (or something close).  I currently have a 3.30 and am running out of gear on some tracks.

Clutch;  my clutch disengages when a very small amount of pressure is applied to the pedal, so I assume the discs are about worn out.  Where is the best place to get parts (other that 600 racing.  I do not have anything against 600, just looking for alternatives) and what do I need to look for when replacing the clutch.

This is my first "race car" and I am open to any suggestions or helpful hints.

thanks

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
Re: Looking for 292 Gear and clutch info.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 04:03:46 pm »
any yamaha dealer should be able to order the clutch discs. There is also a billet clutch basket that is available that is stronger then the yamaha one. I don't know if yamaha can get these but I know the legends dealers can.

as for a gear there is a 2.50 and a 2.93 available for these cars. They are usually not cheap though as they are kind of rare.

Brad
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline Jredd

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 06:04:11 pm »
are the clutch discs stock or is there a heavy duty one available?

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 06:54:25 pm »
J Redd,

The clutch travel is not very wide on our car either and there is nothing wrong with our clutch.  If you come off the turn and the engine revs way up even though your rear tires aren't really breaking loose, that tells you that the clutch is worn out.  It is not hard to rebuild it, just pay attention to the order and direction of each and every plate as you disassemble.

Springs need to be replaced if they are not difficult to reinstall  ;)

I think there is a trick in building these clutches that gives you more friction surface at the cost of clutch travel.  I'm not real up on this though.  It is a suspicion or guess.

Man, if you are running out of gear with a 3.30, you must be really going fast.  I'll bet that is fun.

BTW, thanks for joining us.

Offline Jredd

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 04:06:38 pm »
I think I am up to about 95 mph with the 3.30 rear end.  We ran the Nashville Super Speedway (using the infield to make a road course) and I was at redline by the time I was entering the front straight.  Last weekend, I ran the Talladega Gran Prix Raceway, 1.41 mile road course and still needed more gear. 
My clutch does not slip at all at this point.  I was just worried about it since it takes such a small amount of travel to disengage it.  Based on what you said, my clutch may have more life left in it :)

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 04:16:43 pm »
jredd, are you in 5th gear with the 3.30? if so you are much faster then 95mph.  a 3.30 in 4th is about 95mph at redline.

Most road coourses require either the 2.93 or even a 2.50.
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 05:50:30 pm »
Here are the specs if you want to check them:

Friction Plate Thickness:  Std  .114" to .122"  Min .110"

Steel Plate Thickness: .075" to .083"

Offline qweedqwag

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 10:08:29 pm »
You can adjust where the clutch engages and disengages at the top of the clutch pedal near the master cylinder under the dash, you will have to mess with the jam nut and move the rod in or out to make adjustments to your liking, furthermore, if you are roadracing you need to go to a Barnett clutch or at the very least run two clutch spring plate on the clutch pack, it helps keep the clutch pack firm and resists slipping. Here is a link for gears http://www.dwarfcarproducts.com/gears.html  and http://www.barnettclutches.com/products/clutch_plates_springs.aspx?type=clutches_other&clutch_make=Yamaha&clutch_cc=1200

Later Mike.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 02:19:39 am »
Hi and Welcome to the site!
 Hopefully Pegalis will chime in here soon. Send him an email or PM. He has been very helpful with my project.
I sure wish our SCCA group ran road courses; Would be awesome! We're all auto-cross here in Montana.
 Post a little something on the introduction page for us about your endevors.

Best of Luck to You,
  Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline gramps05

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2007, 09:19:21 am »
The clutch pack has two narrow friction plates in it, the rest of them are wide plates. They are the first and last friction plates in the pack. You can remove the clutch pack down to the large circlip which is actually a thin wire which is around the clutch housing, the ends of it are in a hole. Remove the circlip, steel plate, narrow friction plate, spring and seat plate. Take the narrow friction plate, circlip, spring and seat plate and set them aside because they are not going to be reinstalled. Now install a new wide friction plate, don't install it dry, soak it in oil for a while, then the steel plate removed earlier and then the rest of the clutch pack. They say you can also change the first narrow friction plate for a new wide one but I found that the inside diameter of the wide plate is smaller than the narrow plate and would not properly fit the rear of my stock pressure plate.  Seems like a lot of work for a little more friction surface area but if you enjoy tinkering have at it. The parts left out are an anti chatter set up used when installed in a bike.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2007, 04:35:09 am »
Jredd,
 Would like to talk further about your SCCA ventures. I am planning to run autocross, as that is my main venue up here in Montana. Please PM me or email.

Thanks,

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Kyle. Daughtery

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 04:23:59 pm »
I was wondering if it would hurt my oval racing with the clutch basket and all the clutch parts for a road racing set up. I don't think it would because my understanding is that oval races put it in optimal gear and don't shift right? Thanks guys!

anything