Author Topic: Oil pressure and temperature guages  (Read 8541 times)

Offline knuclebuster

Oil pressure and temperature guages
« on: February 11, 2009, 08:26:02 pm »
Hey Everyone,
  I need some advice on hooking up the oil pressure guage and the oil temp guage.  Lets take the oil pressure first.  The installation instructions recommend in a high vibration(racing) application that the sending unit be mounted somewhere besides directly to the motor.  Do you guys agree?  Where are yall mounting the units?  Let me say this also, my car came with an externally mounted oil filter and a 3 pass oil cooler.  All of the extra "ports" are taken.  I have purchased electric not mechanical guages.  So any suggestions where to tap into the engine.
 Second,  Im also looking for a place to mount the 'probe' for the temp guage.  Guess what?  No where to tie into the oil pan.  Am I overlooking something?

After reading some of the older post, I was thinking about taking the red disk looking piece that screws into the original oil filter and taking it to the machine shop and having  them drill and tap me a place for the sending unit and the probe for the temp guage.  Can this be done.  Please give me your thoughts and past expierences.

I have about 10 days left till track time, time is running out!  Thanks ahead of time!  Any and all advice is well appreciated.

KB

Offline elimn8u_43

Re: Oil pressure and temperature guages
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 08:35:14 pm »
I use mechanical gauges. For my oil temperature gauge a had a machine shop make me an extra thick adapter for the rear of the oil pan block off. The fitting for the probe screwed into it and the probe went into the oil pan sump. I can get you a picture tomorrow if needed.

Geoff

Offline knuclebuster

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 08:35:55 am »
Thanks Geoff,
  Yes I would like to see a picture how you did that.  Thanks for the reply.

Offline elimn8u_43

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 07:52:29 pm »
I have forwarded my pics to Steve. Hopefully he can resize them and post them up for you.

Geoff

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 03:04:05 am »
I tried to clean them up a bit.
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 03:13:45 am »
A couple more:
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline knuclebuster

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 09:48:16 am »
Thanks Geoff and Steve for getting me the pictures and posting them.  I see how the adapter works, but if I have oil cooler lines hooked up to the ports in the bottom left side of the oil pan, where else can you tap into?

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 11:36:26 am »
I have a line for a mechanical oil pressure gauge in the block up above where the oil pan ports are that you are talking about.  Also, I think that you can hook it up on the front of the block with an adapter if you are not running a top end oiler out of the port.  Hank Scott will have just about any kind of adapter for these engines that you would need. 

Offline elimn8u_43

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 11:41:11 am »
I don't know where else you could put a mechanical temperature probe without modifiying the oil pan. I don't think that any modifications are allowed to the pan under INEX rules.

Geoff

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 12:08:08 pm »
You can also put a T in the oil line and hook it to that.  Just make sure the the sensor is well grounded or it will not work.  It sounds like you you have to stock 600 Racing type cooler setup.  You can call them or one of the dealers and see how they hook up the sensors. 

Offline rob

• J & R Motorsports
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 01:19:02 pm »
when i had my motor done, all fittings are used for the coolers, i replaced the pan with a bonged pan. the pan was about 75 bucks, check with mike patrick or any of the engine builders should do it.
rob

Offline knuclebuster

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 10:47:34 pm »
Thanks to everyone who has replied.  I think Im going to call 600 and see where they suggest since the car came with the oil cooler and remote oil filter.  My car also has the top end oiler, so the front is out also.  Looks like all the easy locations are taken.  Thanks again for the help.

KB

anything