Author Topic: tachometer installation  (Read 9405 times)

Offline knuclebuster

tachometer installation
« on: February 04, 2009, 07:10:26 pm »
Hey guys,
  Autometer tach......Green wire.  Where exactly do you wire it to?  My car is new with a black box.  I have wires identified from the coils that are marked tach, they are black.  These two become one and go to the harness plug.  Once through the plug the wire is now green and marked tach.  It is attached to the "power strip" and shows 12 volts with the ignition switch on.  Is this the location for the green wire from the tach?  Or is this marked for the location of the red power wire from the tach to supply voltage.  Im a little confused as to whether im suppose to run that green wire from the tach through the firewall directly to the coil or has 600 already done that?  Any thoughts would be appreciated!

KB

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: tachometer installation
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 08:20:29 pm »
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline knuclebuster

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 09:39:25 pm »
Steve,
  I read all the threads related to tachs before I posted the question.  I did a serch on the forum under tachs.   I still did not get a clear understanding to the correct connection of the green wire from the tach.  I just dont understand whether 600 has pre wired the tach green wire connection or whether i need to run  the green wire from the tach to the coil.  Again, any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

KB+

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 09:03:12 am »
If you have the new wiring harness from 600 then it is marked tach.  This has to connect that green wire you are talking about to the coils.  Yes they are black on the coils.

Offline knuclebuster

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 11:16:27 am »
 Ok, Thanks RB.  600 brings the black from the coil to the connecter/plug.  Once inside the firewall the wire is then green and plugs into the power stip.  It is marked 'tach'. With the engine running it shows 12 volts, not running 0 volts. The blue wire from the fuel pump shut off safety switch is plugged into the powerstrip directly across from the green wire marked 'tach'.  Im guessing, but my understanding is if the motor quits running, then no voltage is supplied to the blue wire, thus no voltage to fuel pump.

Does this sound correct to you?

KB

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 11:36:53 am »
Does your car have a electronic fuel shutoff?  This is a tiny little black box (probably mounted on the inside of the firewall) marked Inex.  If this is the case then when you turn on the power switch your fule pump will not work until the engine is running.  If you do not have this then your fule pump should come on when the power is turned on, even with the motor not running.

Offline knuclebuster

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 10:28:41 pm »
Yes, I do have the little black box.  The blue wire coming from it is attached straight across from the green wire marked "tach" on the power strip.  So if there is no voltage coming from the coil, there is no power to the fuel pump as you said.  To my understanding, this is where I tie in the green wire from the tachometer.  Would you agree?

KB

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 08:55:17 am »
yep