Author Topic: Muffler or Silencer - options?  (Read 7259 times)

fcassidy

Muffler or Silencer - options?
« on: March 20, 2008, 02:26:00 am »
Hi,

I will be using my Legend for Autocross, andwill be competing at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego.  They are really strict about noise levels and I have a feeling the small borla muffler on the car won't 'dampen' the noise enough to get by the sound check.

Have any of you had this problem?  If yes, how did you get around it?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Muffler or Silencer - options?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 03:22:13 am »
OUCH!!!
 The Borla muffler is a great choice! Don't know what db level you need to meet.  ???
You might try the Super Trap system; they are adjustable.  :-\
I'll be using my car for autocross also. Up here in Montana, we don't have the same noise restrictions. Although I don't want my car to be too loud.
 Do you have a way to measure the db level to see if it fits the rules? Maybe the tech guys can help you out. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Good Luck!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 09:56:15 am »
How do you tell which system you have?

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 03:19:51 pm »
Hi,

I will be using my Legend for Autocross, andwill be competing at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego.  They are really strict about noise levels and I have a feeling the small borla muffler on the car won't 'dampen' the noise enough to get by the sound check.

Have any of you had this problem?  If yes, how did you get around it?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks.

There is a suitcase style muffler made by BRE that mounts under the left running board and is INEX legal. This muffler is mandated at several racetracks throughout the country due to noise regulations. With the Borla muffler and the BRE the car sounds like a street bike.

You can contact BRE @ (707)462-9256 and talk to Dave.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

fcassidy

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 11:28:11 pm »
Thanks for the info guys.  For my first event I'll try the Borla and see what happens - will let you guys know.  Will look into the BRE option if the Borla isn't enough.

fcassidy

Update
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 05:04:21 pm »
Hi,

I have been running with the BRE Muffler and it has helped, but I'm borderline on the decibel level.  The location in San Diego (Qualcomm Stadium)  has a 93 db limit at 50ft.  On my most recent run I was at 92.6 db...............................

Anyone know if it is possible to add a supertrap to the BRE muffler (I already have a Borla on there too).

Thanks

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 05:27:08 pm »
Can you put an elbow on the outlet to point it down at the ground or under the car (if you are not already)?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 06:23:42 pm »
Hi Frank,

I don't think adding more mufflers is the way to go. You are going to severely restrict the exhaust flow and lose a ton of power.
What about going with a stock motorcycle muffler from one of the performance bikes?

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.