Author Topic: Rearend Side to Side Measuring  (Read 17049 times)

Offline jgrimracing

Re: Rearend Side to Side Measuring
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 12:27:02 am »
I would think, it would be worse on the pavement.  As there has to be a lot more load on it.  It doesn't seem to be from the dirt persay cause our other ends don't wear like the panhard ones. 
We went to the best end FK Makes (we are an FK Dealer) and they have lasted much longer.  The "cheap" ends seem to show wear after one or two races.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 01:15:15 am »
Pavement is more of a constant.
With dirt you get changes in the track surface (holes, ruts, etc...); Which affects suspension points differently. That makes parts wear differently.
Is that making sense to you?
Maybe I should get some sleep. Be happy to go rounds after a nap.  ;) :D ;D

That still doesn't change the rule that INEX mandates for a minimum 6" distance from the brake drum to the frame rail.
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline jgrimracing

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 11:39:58 am »
I was kind of thinking that after I posted, maybe the slidding into corners and hitting the holes and stuff would cause some of the wear.  It's strange though, they are the only ones we see significant wear on so quickly.  I don't know what they would do if the wear caused you to be too close to the frame rails.  I know you are allowed to "show" damage if a measurement does not make it.  So could you wiggle the car around?

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 12:11:56 pm »
On dirt we really pound on them, especially when the track is heavy and rough like it often is here.  Like Steve said I am sure that the impacts from slamming the car against the cushion wears them out a lot faster than the more gradual load changes on asphalt.

On this subject, where do you want the rearend?  I would assume all the way to the right judging by how things look on the car but I havent stringed a car to see how close the right side wheels are to being aligned.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 02:52:16 pm »
I was actually thinking of pulling the right rear in a little to help with weight transfer to plant the right rear tire.  What do the other dirt track racers on here do?   

Dirt tracks can be really rough on panard bars or anything similar.  On modifieds around here, it is not all that strange for a rough track to bend or break j-bars (a short panard bar for the asphalt guys) or their mounts.  Did not think about it, but I might upgrade the heims on the panard bar to be safe.  When those go, it can get expensive. 

Offline jgrimracing

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 05:45:19 pm »
We run our rear pretty much center in the car, the front wheels can be adjusted in our out with your arm lenths to match.  Now and then we might shift the rear, but have never really seen a gain.   Depending how far back you are with the rear, due to the curved frame rails there is not a whole lot of side to side movement allowed with the 6" rule.  Note: be careful to check both sides for the 6" rule, I know of a guy was DQ'd cause neither side was 6" (bent frame I would think).

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 12:53:01 am »
actually I shortened all of my trailing arms right up and could not get 6".  It is just from the curve in the frame you have to move it back a bit and you will get the 6".

anything