Author Topic: What is everyone's preference for rims?  (Read 17271 times)

Offline tch38

Re: What is everyone's preference for rims?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 11:38:28 pm »
I heard NASCAR got away from chrome wheels because they hold too much heat. I am use the black trap wheels from 600 $45. BTW heard they are pretty true  compared to bassetts.
Unlike most sports racing takes two balls!!!

Offline jgrimracing

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 11:02:43 am »
We have been using the Trap Wheels with good luck.  We have gotten one of the Aero and like that as well.  We have a Bassett or two, as well.  Heard from one of the tire cutting guys last year, that he was very unhappy with the run out in the Bassett wheels, so we have not purchased any of those since then.  We kinda like the Traps cause of the price, we went trough quite a strech of bending wheels two years ago.  We did buy one of those tools they make to straighten the edges of the wheels which also works well for small bends in the beads.

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 06:17:50 pm »
Any idea what the weight is on those trap rims?

My car is a bit of a lead sled, (1167 lb.) and I'm 250 lb.  Anywhere I can shave off some weight (mine as well) I will look at.  My car needs a big diet.

Mike
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 06:55:42 pm »
LOL!!!
I wasn't going to say it!!!  :P
Regardless, Your still going to have to meet the minimum weight for wheel and tire rule.
Throw into that the 52% left weight (With Driver) rule....
Where is that going to put you?

The left side weight rule/ seat mounting rule could seriously put a kink in some car/ driver combinations.
Just something to think about.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 08:47:57 pm »
The cross weight rule wont bother me a bit.  I don't want to be near that when in the car anyways.  As for total wheel weight, I'm sure I can shave a bit of rim weight and still make it.  I'm currently using the chromed Trap wheels from 600 racing.  Not the lightest wheels.

I think I'll go down and weigh one of the mounted wheels right now.

I know, makes you green with envy doesn't it Steve?  Going down to the nice heated floored garage in January in my bare feet to do something on the car...
 ;D

Mike

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 08:55:00 pm »
OK.  38.6 lb.   Not as bad as I thought.  Looks like I can afford to lose 2 pounds per wheel.  Should give enough wiggle room for wear.  Maybe tomorrow I'll crawl through the snow to some old worn mounted tires and see what kind of loss there is due to wear...

Mike

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 09:48:18 pm »
LOL!
I'm giving some very serious thought to the Marsh wheel.
At 12 lbs. that would save me some serious unsprung weight.
Granted; Won't fly with INEX rules... (I don't think). I don't know what the tire weighs. You have to be 36 lbs wheel and tire.
I can do pretty much anything here, because nobody has a car like this. They will have to put me in a class by myself (NO FUN); Or the nearest class that I would qualify for.
At this point in time it doesn't really matter. Until I can find some work, I'm pretty much at a stand still.. I really wish I had some welding skill! I have access to the equipment; but no one  willing to do the work for me. My welds bite! I'll just have to give it time and see what I can do.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline jgrimracing

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 12:24:43 am »
I don't know what the painted Traps weigh, I don't think they would be much less then the chrome wheels though.  We just use the black cause they cost less.  Have a set of chrome something or others for show too, but we have not been doing a lot of shows.

Offline thunder938

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 08:36:47 am »
I dont know about the tire lbs, but the dealer hear in Ohio Sells and runs Marsh wheels.  He runs at the big nat. events with no problems form 600, the the tire and Marsh wheel combo must be good with the rule..
Dave

Offline djracing

• Global Moderator
    • DJ Ross Racing
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 08:23:47 pm »
I have some unmounted tires, just don't have any scale to weigh one.

anything