Author Topic: Remote Battery Posts Connection  (Read 23655 times)

Offline JGRacing

Re: Remote Batter Posts Connection
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 12:38:46 pm »
Sounds like the alternator wire would also need to go back to the shut off then back up to the dash for it to work on a running motor. 

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 05:35:39 pm »
Although it's a lot of wire, (weight) I'm wondering if you're not right.  Bring the alternator back to the cutoff switch then back to the power switch on the dash.  Can't see a lot use in a kill switch that doesn't kill all.  I believe that's a must in drag cars.  The kill switch is a safety switch for the safety crews to use.  Not intended to be convenient to the driver.

I've embarrassed myself the odd time climbing into my car and strapping in, then discovering the kill switch is off...  I don't do that very often anymore.  Embarrassment is a good behavior modifier!

Mike
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline knuclebuster

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 05:50:18 pm »
If the fuel pump has no power because the cutoff switch has been moved to the off position, why does it matter if the alternator is still supplying current?  The engine can only run a short period of time before it starves of fuel.  Please help me understand why it would be necessary to kill power to the alternator.  Is the objective to be able to instantly kill the motor?  Im just running scenerios through my head, give me an example of a situation where you might want to do an instant kill and cant do so by reaching up and hitting the ingition "off/on" switch on the dash.

Thanks,
KB

Offline knuclebuster

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 06:12:55 pm »
Ok, I just went outside and cranked up my car and put a tester on the fuel pump hot wire.  When I hit the cutoff switch.......I still had at least twelve volts.  The alternator is supplying the fuel pump with enough current to keep the engine running.  Once the engine died there was no more power to fuel pump.  I assumed wrongly that the fuel pump would lose all power supplied to it when the cutoff switch was turned to the off position whether the car was running or not.  I was wrong.......thanks for pointing this out.  Now, what would be the best method to kill the power from the alternator?  Can I run a wire from somewhere on the dash to the cutoff switch and back?  Why not just go from the fuel pump over to the cutoff switch and back.

Thanks

KB

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 06:57:17 pm »
There you go.  Answered your question before I could.  Well done!

Mike

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 06:59:04 pm »
Now as for the fuel pump over to the cutoff, that's how mine is.  Not sure if that's enough though.  Going to have to check mine once I've got my motor back.

Mike

Offline knuclebuster

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2008, 07:16:59 pm »
Ok Mike,
  I think I'll run a jumper over to the cutoff switch from the fuel pump and back.  Ill check that way before I run the wires permanently.  Cant do it tonight however, getting ready for the LSU and georgia bowl game.

Thanks,
KB

Offline gramps05

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2009, 08:31:37 am »
Before we got out of legends (1 year ago) one of the rules in the the rule book was that the engine must continue to run when the Battery Master is turned to the off position. Not to criticize but if you have a rule book you should read it and learn it because when you start winning  and win a often it can be your friend,because you are going to be looked at real hard.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2009, 08:57:57 am »
3. ALTERNATORS: Modification to the charging system
is not permitted. The alternator must be charging at all times.
No switches disconnecting the alternator are permitted.
The engine must continue to run at an idle with the battery
disconnected.

6. BATTERY: Only a lead acid or gel cell battery ( 25lbs.
min.) may be used. The approximate dimensions are 71/8”
X 8 X 61/2”. A top post or side post battery may be used.
Motorcycle batteries may not be used. The battery must
remain in its stock location and securely mounted. The
original stock battery bracket may not be altered in any way.
A battery box, terminal coverings or rubber padding around
rear end is also highly recommended. A battery shut-off
switch is optional.

I believe the actual tech operation for the alternator rule is to start the car then pull off a battery cable. If you are not bypassing the alternator the car will continue to run. On the otherhand, the battery cut off switch is a safety system to shut down the entire electrical system in case of an emergency.

Link to simple wiring diagram:

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/docs/Battery_Disconnect_Instructions.pdf
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline thunder938

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2009, 09:59:37 am »
Like I have stated in the past if you want the fuel pump to shut off in the event of a crash / hard hit just put in an   INERTIA switch for the FUEL PUMP.  These are like 65 bucks and work great.  If tripped just reset buy pushing on the top.  We have these some car that I race with and work great..
Dave

Offline gramps05

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2009, 07:23:22 am »
Again, if is not in the rule book it's illegal. Just because is doesn't say you can't do something doesn't mean you can....

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2009, 12:52:52 pm »
Gramps is right.  But if you want a ruling on anything, send 600 racing a note and ask....

I would guess the main reason they wrote that rule that way is because some smart lad disconnected the alternator and then went out racing off just the battery.  Without any draw on an alternator, there is very little resistance.  I'm sure you'd get the equivalence of a few horse or something...

Mike

Offline bback58

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2009, 04:06:53 pm »
If you want the fuel pump to shut off in a crash, just use the fuel pump shutoff switch that 600 mandated a while back.  That is legal.  I understand that they had some issues with them and took them off the mandatory list, but I didn't have any issues with mine although it has been disconnected when we were trying to diagnose an issue I was having.  I think they are a good thing and need to hook mine up again this winter.  I figure most any wreck someone has is going to kill the engine anyway so shutting it off shouldn't be a big issue, but the running fuel pump is.
Brian B

Offline thunder938

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2009, 04:11:56 pm »
If you run a "red Box" set up there is NO way I would use the 600 fuel cut off.  They killed alot of red boxes and alot of them  even caught on fire.  On black boxes there was no problem..INERTIA switchs work the best and are legal and there is not change the switch causing a bigger problem..

the dealer here runs one and goes to the Winter Nats nats Fla and had no problem with 600
Dave

Offline tch38

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2009, 05:58:14 pm »
Todd: Longacre 45761 will do the job.  However, if you want the engine to be killed whenever disconnect switch is turned off, then you will need the 45785.  The 2nd set of terminals allows you to hook alternator in series with the disconnect switch so the alternator is cut out when the engine is running thus stopping the engine.  I sell the 45785 ($33.95 + shipping) as it gives the racer the option to hook alternator or not.

--
Mike Patrick
Little Race Cars
6601 Charles City Rd
Richmond, VA 23231
804 507-0106

Got this e-mail 3-08 see if this helps you all....BTW I installed the Longacre 45785
Unlike most sports racing takes two balls!!!