LEGENDS > Drivetrain & Gearing

Spooling a gear?

(1/2) > >>

Racinjj:
Has anyone spooled a rearend gear?  Just wondering whats all involved.

VMS Motorsports:
Just weld it Jeff, from what I've heard, the spools are not the most durable, but I have no experience with that, mine are all welded

Racinjj:
Yeah I saw that in some of the posts I was looking at.  I have a spooled 3.73 that I used last year at all of the tracks but I was looking at some different gear combos.  I have about 5 sets of gears that are welded right now and will probably just use those and not worry about the spool.  I cant imagine that their is a significant difference between the spool and the welded gears since the spool weight has to be 25lbs.

justfreaky:
This is what Randy had to say about spools in the welding rear end gears thread.

I weld all of my gears for personal use and those I sell with a MIG. I use an anti-splatter spray throughtout the interior of the housing to prevent slag from sticking to the gears or bearings. I weld the eight corners of the spider gears, along with the side gear that is exposed to the side of the carrier. Make sure that you attach your ground lead directly to the ring gear. If you attach it anywhere else, you are runing the circuit through the bearing(s) which will ruin them. You can by the anti-splatter spray at a welding shop; the can I have is made by Randor and is product #64000100.

And finally, the spool is not the way to go. If you gave me a free lifetime supply of them, I would only use them for paperweights. I have personally had three spools strip, and have had many customers have the same problem. The spools are not heat treated as well as the Toyota spider gears, and the spool gets really sloppy. If you have a spool, check the slop in the splines from side to side, when they are new they are tight. If your spool has alot of play in wheel travel from side to side, it might be time to get another one.

Randy - RPM

I have heard similar claims on the dwarf car boards.

fwiw,

Steve

Racinjj:
Steve, I had read that post after i posted my original.  I think I will just stick with the welded gears.  I did notice that my spooled gear has more spline slop than my welded gears.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version