Author Topic: Fire suppression tank mounting  (Read 19114 times)

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Fire suppression tank mounting
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 02:23:14 pm »
It is 94% water and is powered by CO2...easy clean-up and environmentaly friendly
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 10:55:57 pm »
Here are some pics from Knuclebuster's fire system install.
I thought this was an interesting place to mount it.
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2009, 10:58:09 pm »
More

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2009, 11:00:04 pm »
More

Offline thunder938

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 09:00:06 am »
That looks great, just make sure that the left side of the motor is covered.  Most fires in these cars are from a rod putting a window in the case and hosing the header down with oil.
Dave

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009, 10:28:53 am »
If I recall correctly, he has 1 nozzle on the carb side of the engine; 2 nozles in the cockpit (feet and torso); And one in the rear at the fuel cell/ fuel pump.

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2009, 09:31:13 pm »
Nice installation Knucklebuster.  Nice wiring under the dash too.

One question...  Why in the cab for the bottle, and not in back?
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline knuclebuster

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2009, 10:22:25 pm »
Thanks for the compliment Megamang.  I studied all options.  I sat at the back of the car on many nights trying to get a good feel for mounting the tank behind the fuel cell.  I just could not get comfortable with that location.  First, I chose a 10 lbs. system so I could get 4 nozzels.  The bottle for the ten pound is a little over 19".  That is a big bottle to fit in the back.  It could have been done, don't get me wrong.  I felt like the bands needed to be spread out at least ten inches apart to help hold it properly.  To do that I would have had to add(weld) some additional steel to the 4" wide steel back support piece for the fuel cell to mount the bottle to.  Not only that, I felt like anytime I had to get to my battery, the bottle would have to come out.  So in the end, the place that seemed the best to me was over the drive shaft tunnel.  My only concern there was that it could become a projectile in an accident, but taking care to use 3/8' grade 8 bolts with oversized washers underneath, I dont think it will ever move.  Also, if it tore through the sheet metal, all three alumiumn lines would also have to be torn loose for it to move.  Believe me, it is secure. 

The install was fairly easy.  The only thing I'm not real happy with is the placement of the nozzel that is directed at my torso area.  I initially turned the tubing downward from the dash and was going to attach it to the steering shaft bracket and point the nozzel under the steering wheel, aimed at my waist.  When I did this, I kept thinking that my knees would easily hit it and bend it, making it useless.  As it stands, in an emergency, if I activated the system, if the steering wheel is in place, there would be some blockage.  If I was able to remove the steering wheel quickly, before activating, I would get good coverage chest down.  If anyone has any ideas for another location, I would certainly appreciate hearing them.  This line would be very easy to reloacted if necessary.

If I were Firecharger, I would place a video on their website that would show how the foam system spreads coming out of the nozzels.  This would really help racers know how to place their nozzels for correct angle and distance, ect. ect..  Hopefully, I will not have to find out, but getting to see a system activated sure would help give you an idea what to expect.  Anyway theres my two cents.  Thanks again.

KB

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2009, 10:51:54 pm »
Not sure what size bottle I have, but it's mounted above the battery, horizontally.   Seems very secure, and I'm able to get at the battery.  I can see that it might be a bit of a pain, but so far no problems.  I'll have to take a pic or two tomorrow when I'm in the garage.  I've got the body off, and the back deck off, so I can get a good picture of it. 

Need to double check it anyway to see the charge in it.  I'm stripping the whole chassis so I'll try getting the battery out first to see how awkward that is with the bottle still in.

As for the body nozzle...  Yeah, I know what you mean.  Not sure what works best, but I'm figuring that the nozzle under my dash is going to cover enough to let me get out.  My body and tin work is all sealed with silicon.  The only spot gas or fumes are coming in from is through the windows.  Your location might actually be better in that case.

I'm hoping I'll never have to know how well it works.

I like the power strip you've installed.  I was just about to stop at the local electrical store to get one for my car.  The wiring under the dash is a rats nest of daisy  chained connections.  If something goes, it'll be nasty trying to trace the problem back.

( I know steve...  Off Topic!)

Mike
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline knuclebuster

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2009, 08:55:05 am »
I cant take credit for the neat wiring job with the powerstrip.  600 Racing did all the wiring.

KB