LEGENDS > Drivetrain & Gearing

Looking for 292 Gear and clutch info.

(1/3) > >>

Jredd:
I am new to this forum.  I have spent several hours reading over the different subjects and am very impressed with how everyone is so helpful.

I am looking for information on the following items and would appreciate any assistance you can give me:

Rear end gears;  I am running SCCA autocross and time trials and I need to find a ring an pinion gear with a 2.92 ratio (or something close).  I currently have a 3.30 and am running out of gear on some tracks.

Clutch;  my clutch disengages when a very small amount of pressure is applied to the pedal, so I assume the discs are about worn out.  Where is the best place to get parts (other that 600 racing.  I do not have anything against 600, just looking for alternatives) and what do I need to look for when replacing the clutch.

This is my first "race car" and I am open to any suggestions or helpful hints.

thanks

legends13:
any yamaha dealer should be able to order the clutch discs. There is also a billet clutch basket that is available that is stronger then the yamaha one. I don't know if yamaha can get these but I know the legends dealers can.

as for a gear there is a 2.50 and a 2.93 available for these cars. They are usually not cheap though as they are kind of rare.

Brad

Jredd:
are the clutch discs stock or is there a heavy duty one available?

Tom Cole:
J Redd,

The clutch travel is not very wide on our car either and there is nothing wrong with our clutch.  If you come off the turn and the engine revs way up even though your rear tires aren't really breaking loose, that tells you that the clutch is worn out.  It is not hard to rebuild it, just pay attention to the order and direction of each and every plate as you disassemble.

Springs need to be replaced if they are not difficult to reinstall  ;)

I think there is a trick in building these clutches that gives you more friction surface at the cost of clutch travel.  I'm not real up on this though.  It is a suspicion or guess.

Man, if you are running out of gear with a 3.30, you must be really going fast.  I'll bet that is fun.

BTW, thanks for joining us.

Jredd:
I think I am up to about 95 mph with the 3.30 rear end.  We ran the Nashville Super Speedway (using the infield to make a road course) and I was at redline by the time I was entering the front straight.  Last weekend, I ran the Talladega Gran Prix Raceway, 1.41 mile road course and still needed more gear. 
My clutch does not slip at all at this point.  I was just worried about it since it takes such a small amount of travel to disengage it.  Based on what you said, my clutch may have more life left in it :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version