Author Topic: Fuel line to carb  (Read 7299 times)

Offline JGRacing

Fuel line to carb
« on: August 08, 2008, 05:01:40 pm »
While I am waiting on my engine thought I would throw this question on there.  I used 6AN braided line up to the carb, but had to use 6 AN rubber hose to actually attach the fuel line to the carb.  It seems like I really have to tighten down the hose clamp to keep it from leaking around that inlet tube on the carb.  How does everyone else handle this?  Worried about damaging the rubber hose from pinching it down too far.  Do people line the end of the hose with a smaller thin wall hose or something? 

John

Offline elimn8u_43

Re: Fuel line to carb
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 06:48:26 pm »
I use a 6AN hose barb at the end of the braided line to connect to a short piece of rubber line to the carbs. The rubber line is less than three inches long.

Geoff

Offline thunder938

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 06:53:34 pm »
A -6 line is too big. The fuel line should be 5/16 which is a -5 or so. Now to find that size is a problem.  I found it on Ebay as 5/16 motorcycle S/S  fuel line.  I just cut back the S/S a inch or so and was able to get a good clamp on the rubber part of the hose...No problems.

Hope that helps...
Dave

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 10:07:24 am »
I did the braided line to a barb then to a few inches of 6AN rubber line.  Looks like it is definately a little big.  Can the 5AN rubber hose (if I can find it) fit over the 6AN barb fitting?  The rubber hose might be on thing, but finding a 6AN to 5AN barb fitting might be tricky.   

Offline thunder938

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 12:46:07 pm »
I dont know the -6 is  alot bigger.  After seeing the fire that guy had in CA over the winter with the stock rubber line I replaced all my rubber line from the fuel cell to the carbs with s/s..( and put SFI padding in)....

Dave

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 02:04:46 pm »
I checked the website of one of the braided fuel line makers and it said never to use the braided line with a press on fitting.  Not sure if this is the same for all of them.  I would rather have braided line for the entire system, but the last couple of inches on the fuel pump and carb use the racing rubber line because of those press on fittings. 

Offline thunder938

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 02:17:23 pm »
I used s/s hose and just cut back the s/s about an inch then tape or rap the s/s so it does not fray.  THen clamp with the hose clamp.  The way the pump and carbs are set up with the barb you have to clamp it....
Dave

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 02:17:08 pm »
Hey guys, just an update.

Just talked to Rob in parts @600 about the braided fuel line. They are still working on it, but there is no official rule or kit as of yet. They will sell you 10ft of line for $50 bucks, but havent figured out anything better than hose clamps, which he agrees is not going to fix anything. They are working with someone on developing a push-loc connector for the carb, since thats where it ususally comes off.

Just an FYI for those who are actually going back together already
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 02:23:30 pm »
Thanks for the update Jim.  Unfortunately the only thing that will really fix this is changing the fuel rail input line on the carbs.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 02:54:20 pm »
I would think that with the correct type braided hose and a hose clamp, it would hold on pretty well.  With enough pressure to pull it loose, I would think that it would be pretty close to the amount of pressure it would take to break that inlet tube off of the carb.  Even if they only go as far as the push on style braided line, that would be a big improvement over the rubber line.