Author Topic: How You Doing? 2009  (Read 155764 times)

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: How You Doing? 2009
« Reply #150 on: May 12, 2009, 01:17:13 pm »
Ya know I love the pics!!!

Good shot of you in the car! Glad you met your goals for your first outing!
Look forward to watching the progress.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

FFmedic

« Reply #151 on: May 12, 2009, 06:22:42 pm »
Well after having my first ever DNF on sunday because of the bead comming off the tire , I placed an order for a new beadlock!!!  We will see how well I like it.

Joe

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #152 on: May 12, 2009, 07:27:49 pm »
Good idea, its no different than any other wheel except your tire wont fall off.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #153 on: May 12, 2009, 10:52:52 pm »
Joe,

Sorry to hear the bad news.
I think you'll like the new beadlock wheel.

Steve

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #154 on: May 14, 2009, 11:15:30 am »
Found this on Van Kopp Racing:

Latest News
  Race #2 - Evergreen Speedway   
  5/3/2009   

On Sunday, May 3rd, I got an opportunity to race in the afternoon at the Evergreen Speedway in Monroe, WA. Normally we race on Saturday nights, but this was our one Sunday race of the year. I qualified 6th fastest out of 8 cars, 2 seconds faster than my last qualifying session on April 18th. This Sunday the Legends rookies raced in a Trophy Dash, 4 cars in a 4 lap shootout. I ran in 3rd place all the way until turn 4 of the last lap where I made the pass to finish 2nd, just a half car length behind 1st place. I continued to learn how to control and handle my car while racing my heat race finishing in 6th place. During my main event I started in 6th and ran most of it in 4th until I spun in turn 3. I got started back up without bringing out a caution and maintained a 5th place finish. I’m continuing to get comfortable with the car and I am looking forward to my next race at the Wenatchee Valley Super Oval in Wenatchee, WA, on May 16th.   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Race #1 - Rachel's First Legends Series Race   
  4/18/2009   

I have now completed my first ever Northwest Legends Series race! It was Saturday night, April 18th, at the Evergreen Speedway in Monroe, WA. This was an excellent and challenging experience, but it was very exciting. I learned many aspects of the car racing wise, like learning the right line, when to brake and let the car roll through the corner and when to accelerate. I qualified ninth fastest, three seconds off the fastest car. Before my heat race, sitting in my car I was so excited and nervous. During the heat race I started to get more comfortable in the car and began a rhythm on the track and ended up finishing in seventh. I was very happy with myself for starting to understand the track and my car. During my main event I continued feeling more comfortable and finished in sixth place. Overall, I am happy with my performance and I feel like I accomplished my goals for my first race. My next race is again at the Evergreen Speedway on May 3rd. 

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #155 on: May 14, 2009, 08:31:32 pm »
Looks like Matthew (blueskythinking) is currently 9th in the UK standings.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #156 on: May 20, 2009, 09:26:08 pm »
Since, apparently, nobody raced this past weekend; I'll just have to post tidbits I found out about.  :o

Ethan54:

Had another good race last night. Got 6th out of 7 in my heat race. Started the feature in the back and not sure where i finished, no results posted yet. We're thinking around 16 out of 21 cars. The car was fast in the feature, a bit loose, but i could drive it. Had a close call where a car pinched me off and i started to lose it. As this was happening i saw Jeff had spun out on the exit of turn 2. I had the brakes to the floor as i was starting to spin out and came literally within inches of hitting Jeff. Continued on with the race and had a ton of fun.

RickyBobby:

News Update  (May 19, 2009)

New tires improved the performance of the Local Heroes Legend car this past week, and after some necessary adjustments to the right-rear brake, Jeremy was out in full force for the Feature, starting out-side pole. 

He led several laps of the Feature and was holding the rest of the field at bay until a caution flag came out and the restart was unkind to the team.  A later caution flag and an error in the scoring tower led to a poorer finish than the team was expecting, but all in all, it was a good night of racing for JM Motorsports.

VMSmotorsports:

News Update (May 16, 2009)

The VMS Motorsports crew discovered an oil leak on the #5 Modified of Chris Johnson Saturday, and elected to forgo racing to have it repaired for the upcoming weekend triple-header attempt.

We also should have left Jim Bucher's #17 Legends car in the shop as it turned out. The VMS Motorsports, Precise Home Inspections car was great in hot laps, seemed like the set-up was right-on for the first night of racing at our home track of Charter Raceway in Beaver Dam. Bucher started 5th in the heat race, and was passing for 4th when he clipped the tractor tire/inside barrier in turn 4 of the second lap and ripped the rear end out of the Homes.com, The Agency Real Estate car. Repairs were too extensive to perform at the track.

News Update (May 17, 2009)

Myka Meyer traveled to Dousman to keep her season rolling on a Sunny Sunday. Her weekend started off poorly, like the rest of the VMS Motorsports team, with a wreck in her first heat race. She managed to repair the kart and finished 5th in the second heat race. Myka kept on improving through the day and managed a 4th place finish in the Main event.

The karts will be off for Memorial Day weekend.

KAB Motorsports:

May 9, 2009

Opening Night starts with a bang, unfortunately not the bang we were hoping for.

After warm-up, our car was working very well with the new motor we had to install on Tuesday after a blown head gasket.  With the car performing well, we drew the #2 starting spot.  After 2 laps we got shuffled back a little, and then was getting ready to settle in when another car attempted to make it 3 wide going into corner 1.  As many know, this is not going to work out very well on the narrow exit of corner 2.  After being bounced around, the car went directly into the corner 2 wall and hit head on.  The car then rolled on it's side as I awaited for emergency crews to get there. 
We are going to attempt to fix the car over the next week or two and get back onto the track.  The frame is bent in the front and rear.  Hopefully some luck will be on our side this time and the car will straighten out and be back into shape.

May 20, 2009

New car currently being built

After assessing the damage to the car after the crash on opening night, we have decided that it is too bent to be repaired.  There was much more damage done to the car than we initially had assessed as we had hoped it was save-able.  With some help from a couple competitors, we have completely striped the old car and it is currently in 3 larges pieces ready to go to the scrap yard.  The new car has been striped down in preparation of receiving the new cage.  We will not be able to race this week, however we are hoping that with some long nights ahead of us, that we can get the new car out to the track within the next couple weeks.  Pictures of the new car and build will be posted shortly. 

Vankcotr (Van Kopp Racing) :

Race #3 - Wenatchee Valley Super Oval   
  5/16/2009   

Last Saturday was my first time to race at the Wenatchee Valley Super Oval. Although learning a new track can be difficult, this track is a lot of fun to learn. My third practice was when I really got the hang of the track by making marks when to get on and off the gas. I qualified, sixth fastest out of ten cars, which placed me in the third starting position for my trophy dash. For the first time I attempted to start in third gear on the start and then shift to fourth. It’s a lot harder than I thought because I missed the shift and fell behind by almost half a straightaway. The trophy dash is only a four lap race but I caught up to finish in third. In the heat I started seventh and finished in the same position. Also in the main event, I started seventh and finished in seventh. I was really happy I didn’t spin out at all during any of my races! My next race is May 23rd at South Sound Speedway in Rochester, WA.   

I am sure I can dig up more. But I just don't have time! I monitor, and/or check, 15 or more member sites on a regular basis.
PLEASE POST YOUR RESULTS! As you just never know what embarrassing stuff I might dig up.

Thank You,

Steve

Offline elimn8u_43

« Reply #157 on: May 20, 2009, 10:09:06 pm »
I spent the day at the track today. I broke in two new Hank Scott motors. Our season opener (50 laps) is on Saturday and things are looking good. Big power ;D! A few minor problems to address but we will be ready.

Geoff

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #158 on: May 20, 2009, 10:11:06 pm »
Geoff,

Good Luck to the whole team!!!

Steve

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #159 on: May 21, 2009, 07:38:51 am »
Didnt feel that 1.75 laps and destroying a bunch of 1 race old parts was worth posting
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #160 on: May 21, 2009, 08:05:13 am »
5-16-09 Charter Raceway Park

My night started off good by me winning my heat race, I am now 4 for 4 in heat races this season at four different tracks.  The feature started well, I start outside front row and tried the top groove but it was not the place to be yet and fell to 3rd.  After two restarts in the first 4 laps I got up to 2nd and was gaining on the leader in the low groove.  On lap 6 the leader slipped and I got a good run on his inside and we were side by side on the exit of the corner until we hit tire to tire.  This sent my car spinning into the infield and coming to rest up against a tractor tire.  The track let me sit there for a full lap before someone spun and came within an inch of hitting me before they threw the yellow.  I restarted at the tail of the field hoping I was on the lead lap and was on a mission to get to the front.  In the remaining 14 laps I went from 20th to 5th narrowly missing 3rd spot on the last lap.  After going through tech and leaving the track thinking that I had scored 5th place I learned later in the week that I had actually gone a lap down and finished 16th.  It’s a tough deal but that’s racing.  This weekend its off to Chilton on Friday and Charter Raceway Park on Saturday.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #161 on: May 21, 2009, 10:23:17 am »
My season started out bad.  Blew the motor during hot laps, so didn't even get to race.

Looks like a plugged oil cooler did the motor in.  A nice new rebuild shot to bits.
Going to the texas style oil filter adaptor now, with just one big oil cooler fed from the oil pan.

My brother will be bringing his car out to the track on Friday for the first time this year.  He has a newly rebuilt 1250 to replace the severely spent 1200 from last year.  He should be having a fun time getting used to more power, and better gearing.

Good luck all,

Mike

If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #162 on: May 21, 2009, 11:52:44 am »
Jim,

You should know by now that this inquiring mind wants to know!  :)
I'm sure that there are others here that also follow the VMS team.

Best of Luck to You, CJ5 and Myka!!

Jeff,

I hope you have some better luck this weekend!
Sounds like that someone was Ethan. I think that got his heart pumping also!!!

Mike,

Sorry to hear about the sudden loss of your new engine.  :'(
I can't believe you didn't flush that oil cooler! Remember to flush out your oil lines also.
Give Eric my Best Wishes for this weekend!

To Everyone,

Best of Luck This Season!!!
Sounds like a rough start for most. Looking forward to better results in the upcomoing months!

Race Hard and Be Safe,

Steve

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #163 on: May 21, 2009, 02:11:04 pm »
Well I did flush the cooler with my parts washer.  Put the nozzle from the pump into one of the oil cooler inlets and kept the flow going until it looked fairly clear.  Of course it was kind of hard to say when it was running clear since my parts washer saw lots of use last year and the was starting to get a little murky.  Thing is, the cooler was plugged solid last fall when the race season ended.  It took a few minutes of keeping the pressure applied for the fluid to make it's way through.  A lot of nasty looking gunk came through at first.  I'm thinking it was from the clutch pads the last guy that owned the car was using.  They seemed to turn to a black slime when they wore down, and turned the oil nasty looking in one race.  The oil always had a burnt clutch smell after a race with those plates.  Went back to the stock clutch plates and had no problems.  I didn't test the flow of the cooler this spring since I'd cleaned it out in the fall before hanging up the cooler for winter.  I'm thinking that maybe the parts washer fluid sitting in the cooler over the winter managed to work some more gunk loose in the cooler lines, and dried out again over the winter.  My fault entirely for not checking.  Live, spend lots more money and learn!

Wont be going with the same oil cooler and oil line configuration when I get a new motor in her.  Going with the Texas style adapter and spin on oil filter at the back of the motor.  Two lines off the oil pan to one bigger cooler, and the top end oiler added.  Much simpler arrangement, and more oil pressure with better flow.

Should be good when back together.  Unfortunately it means I'll have missed at least 3 races, and we only have 20 or so races in a season up here.  I'll have to start going to some out of town races, and the nearest is 3 1/2 hour drive away.

Good luck all,
Mike
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #164 on: May 21, 2009, 02:33:18 pm »
Sounds like Tracy is lining up some good stuff at Bethel Speedway; IF you have time to run down to New York.

Look forward to seeing a post about your oil cooler and line routing!

I Hope you are back racing soon!!!

Steve