Author Topic: Engine Options?  (Read 10048 times)

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
Engine Options?
« on: October 27, 2008, 07:32:38 am »
I am trying to figure out what to do for an engine next season.  My 1200 has about 30 races on it so it needs a rebuild.  My other options are a new sealed ($5,000) or a new 1200 ($5,400).  The new open engine is about 7-10hp more than a sealed and the builder is only an hour from me.  I am kind of leaning towards the sealed because of the resale value and the fact that 600 is seems to be trying to push out the 1200.  Any comments or suggestions?

www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline IraceLegends77

Re: Engine Options?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 10:40:17 am »
Jeff,

I went with a sealed after years with an open. Both are good and make more than enough power for dirt. I do think that the end of the 1200 is in the near the future thou it will be a couple of years. I know that it made tech a breeze at the Nats. Hope to see next year where ever the Nats. will be.

Scott #77w
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline thunder938

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 12:46:46 pm »
I run on pavement and had a sealed last year and it broke the crank. This year I have a built open motor, it runs very good. In light of the new rules and the change is coming if I need a new motor, I hope not until end of next year, I would go sealed.  I would hate to spend a ton of $$$ and have another rule change or outlawed all together.

You can send your open motor to 600 and they will build a 1250 sealed out of it.  I dont know the cost maybe worth a call..

Dave

Offline Racinjj

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 01:21:18 pm »
I called about the conversion and they said around $3,500.
I want to keep my current engine so that I have a spare.
Thanks for the info.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 02:30:40 pm »
I would do whatever is cheapest with the imminent switch to liquid cooled...are the 1250's theyre selling now convertable or will we have to buy another engine in 2010?
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline thunder938

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 03:50:26 pm »
I think that the water cooled motor will start out as an option for a few years. As for the converting your sealed motor, It should be an add-on that could be used on current motors.  Hank Scott has them on his cite and they have been using them for a year or so in Thunder roadster / Thunder Cup cars.

The big thing will be cost, I saw a $1500 for the jugs and then who knows how much for  rad. and pump.  That will make a new motor cost around 7 grand!!! Plus rad, pump, hoses, and brackets.  I hope it last for…..MMMMMMMM……5 years at that cost..lol 
Dave

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 11:58:42 am »
I would go sealed.  It looks like it will make life much easier as far as rules changes.  I would have probably gone that way if I could afford to replace my motor instead of repairing what I have.   

Offline Racinjj

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 01:35:58 pm »
I ended up just getting my current engine freshened.  With all of the upgrades I am getting I should have another 15hp next season, I cant wait!
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Offline djracing

• Global Moderator
    • DJ Ross Racing
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 07:22:37 pm »
how much did the 'refresh' cost? what was replaced or upgraded? 

Offline Racinjj

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 07:11:46 am »
Its not quite done yet but this is what is going to happen:
-new clutch disks
-bore cylinders
-new pistons
-new rods
-valve job
-new springs
-new bearings
-new timing chain
-other misc items

Its looking like it will be $3,500-4,000 total, I will let you know how much it is.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Offline thunder938

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 09:46:26 am »
I would also make sure that a new starter drive is installed while the cases are apart.  Most builder dont do it, even Hank, unless it is a problem.  Well the prolbem shows up when  motor is still good and not in the need to be tore down.  Mine kicks out a bit while cold and I race with a guy that has a Hank motor with 1 year on rebulid and it needs push started at first at the track, once warm its fine.

Just some thing to think about, if it is a 1200 that is old it should be done.. and starter chain..:)

Dave
Dave

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 12:42:24 pm »
The chain is not the issue of the starter not engaging. The starter chain does strech and needs periodic replacement along with the chain guide; which I have both in stock. The starter slippage is caused by the old one-way starter clutch in the FJ's. The new style uses as one-way sprag which is far superior that the old 3 roller/spring combination. The older style with the heavier  and/or synthetic oils we use are the biggest part of the problem. That is why the problem shows up mostly when it is cold.

The old style unit needs to be disassembled and the springs needs to be stretched. These springs are a little bigger than a ball point pen spring and get weak from the heat. The springs are not a replacement part. I have been stretching the springs on the older unit for years and that has eliminated the starter issues. Or you can replace it to a newer XJ style starter drive unit, the eliminating the problem forever.

Randy - RPM

I would also make sure that a new starter drive is installed while the cases are apart.  Most builder dont do it, even Hank, unless it is a problem.  Well the prolbem shows up when  motor is still good and not in the need to be tore down.  Mine kicks out a bit while cold and I race with a guy that has a Hank motor with 1 year on rebulid and it needs push started at first at the track, once warm its fine.

Just some thing to think about, if it is a 1200 that is old it should be done.. and starter chain..:)

Dave
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

anything