Author Topic: Live From The Dirt Nationals  (Read 22857 times)

Offline IraceLegends77

Re: Live From The Dirt Nationals
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2008, 01:02:45 pm »
The track was in great shape all weekend. Smooth and fast. There is plenty of room for 3 wide racing with run-off area on both ends and the back straight. We (the east coast guys) run several 3/8th or even 4/10 mile tracks so speed is a normal thing for us. If you think this track is fast try South Boston VA.

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2008, 03:45:53 pm »
Not concerned with the top speed but with how quickly a car stops when you hit a tractor tire.  Could not see it on the video, but glad to hear they have a run off area on the back straight before you get to the tires.  I was in the stands for the Nationals last year at Midway Speedway, and the track really dried out and was pretty much one lane.  In the video it looks like people could really run a lot of lines on this track.   

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2008, 05:16:28 pm »
Yeah, their was a lot of run off room around the track.  I still dont know why they had the inside walls tight to the racing surface.  The track even when it was dried out had many grooves to race on.  I was very impressed with the surface, that track with the kind of clay we race on around here would have dried out and been single file.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline Openwheeler37

• Grant Greenfield Racing
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2008, 09:02:23 am »
I loved the track...fast and smooth....what else would you want? Anybody know anything about pay-out? How much and when we will recieve it.
Racing is a matter of spirit not strength

www.greenfieldracing37.piczo.com

You see that?....That just happened!

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2008, 10:23:22 am »
Grant,

I'm sure we will all get a couple of K's ...................LOL. I am hoping that the payout will be better this year with the sponsor from Glick
and others. They sure gave some nice door prizes which we didn't get last year at the pit party. For all that didn't make it, it sure was great time. As for the the tires stoping the cars to fast, it sure beats concrete. Hope everyone can make it next year.

Scott #77

Offline Openwheeler37

• Grant Greenfield Racing
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2008, 11:15:58 am »
Yeah, the door prizes were great. I'd be ok with that payout!
Racing is a matter of spirit not strength

www.greenfieldracing37.piczo.com

You see that?....That just happened!

Offline Racinjj

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2008, 11:43:28 am »
I updated my first post, the driver of the crash in practice was seriously injusred which I didnt learn until the following day.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2008, 01:36:58 pm »
Yes Jeff he was hurt pretty bad. It was reported that he didn’t have his belts tight and his Hans device was in the trailer. He ended up with 6 broken ribs 2 crushed vertebra and punchier lung. On Sunday morning at 7am. he went into surgery. I was in the stands watching when he flipped and it was as bad of wreck as I have seen in all my years of racing and watching them. I leared this, when you go out on the track anything can happen when your at speed weather it is a race or JUST practice. If I get word on Howard Hunter the 3h I will post it.

Scott

Offline Racinjj

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2008, 01:52:14 pm »
Hopefully Howard is doing better and I look forward to hearing updates.  It is a very good reminder to be prepaired whenever you are in the race car.  I was rather concerned watching a lot of the cars that had no head and shoulder supports and no head and neck restraints.  A lot of drivers dont give much thought to safety items because its JUST a Legends car. 
A friend of mine that I raced late models with bought a Legends car and showed up at our local track to race and was sent home by the tech staff.  He brought a motorcycle helmet to wear and we have to have SA2000 or newer helmets.  I asked him why he had that and he told me, "I left my good helmet and Hans at home, I dont want to wreck them, its just a Legends car".  I couldnt believe that, I guess he hasnt seen the scary wrecks I have just this year.
I am a big advocate for safety, I think that sturdy proffesionaly built head and shoulder supports and some kind of head and neck restraint should be mandatory.  Its amazing the number of people that oogle over my car looking at my seat.  Its the most comfortable seat I have had and the safest
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Offline bback58

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2008, 11:53:25 pm »
600 Racing finally has the results from the Dirt Nationals posted on their site.  Here is a link as it is kind of hard to find it.  http://www.600racing.com/documents/2008_dirt_final.xls
Brian B