Author Topic: Dragging Brakes  (Read 17047 times)

Mozart

Dragging Brakes
« on: August 31, 2008, 07:49:22 am »
I just bought a Bandolero for my son to race.  We have been racing Go Karts for a number of years now, however, we have never come across this type of problem before.  The rear brake pads are dragging and I can't seem to figure out how to get them off of the disk.  I have read in the rules that a small spring could be attached to the clip that holds the pads but I am unable to find the right size spring.  The disk is not warped so that eliminates one potential problem. 

I guess my question is, how do I get those pads off the disk?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Dragging Brakes
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 09:03:03 am »
There will usually be a light dragging of the pads on the rotor.
Have you pulled the caliper off and checked that the piston is moving its full stroke?
Are pads installed properly?  Brake system bled?

Just some thoughts.

Steve

Welcome to Legends Racer!
Good People, Input, and Info................ Enjoy!
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Mozart

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 02:34:53 am »
Well I bled the system today and seems to have done the trick.  It is a used Bandolero and we are trying to get it ready for a Friday test at TMS.  I think right now that I have just about everything that can be torn out of the car disassembled, inspected and ready to go back in.  The brakes definitely disturbed me but the bleeding seems to have worked so I am gonna go with that for now.

I have to get a hutchins device now but that's a story for another thread.  Steve - Thanks for you pointers!

-Ken

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 09:56:26 am »
Ken,

Happy to hear you have the brake working. Read through all the old Bando threads. Not a ton of info, but good information. Be sure to read Fastmantom's set up info. You might also look at the Legends car threads. Some of the info will apply. Be sure to post in the "How you doing" thread to keep us up to date on how things go on Friday.

Best of Luck!

Steve

Offline apm motorsports

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 08:07:01 pm »
ken to keep the brake from dragging put two springs in the c clip one inside  the other between the pads make sure the caliper in mounted square. caliper center of rotor. grind the top of  pad at a 40 degree angle so the outside  top of the rotor is not touching the top most of the pad.  so as the pad wearsout it does not form a lip on the top of rhe rotor. use motul 600 brake  fuild   

Offline bandostuff.com

• BandoStuff.com
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 02:08:46 pm »
Here are two examples of caliper springs.

The 1 spring method requires some trial and error to find just the right stregnth spring.  To strong and the pads cock or bind.  To weak and it won't hold the pads apart.

The 2009 INEX Rulebook changed to allow a spring around the caliper.

To allow the pistons to slightly return from brake application you must often remove and clean the pistons and calipers.  I have not been able to find new rubber seals but they are re-usable many times.  You will be surprised how quickly the pistons corrode, collect dirt and brake dust and hang up.

Make sure the caliper is mounted square to the rotor.  This usually requires a thin washer between the caliper and the rear mounting ear of  the birdcage.
For all your Langacre & HANS needs-www.bandostuff.com

Offline mch46

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 02:24:38 pm »
On our Bando we drilled a small hole in each of the four corners of each brake pad.  Then I run safety wire thru the 2 top holes and twisted it to form a "V" shape; same thing for the bottom 2 holes.  Then I connected the top and bottom "V's" with a spring.  It does the same thing as the pic above, but its much easier to remove the 2 springs and lift the pads out each week to clean and sand them flat.  While the pads are out, push the brake pedal slowly a couple times to push the brake pucks out, then you can clean with brake cleaner and blow off.  This will keep the grime from getting inside the caliper and binding the pucks.  Push the pucks back in ( I use a c-clamp) and drop the pads in place and re-attach the springs to the safety wire "V's".  Never had a brake problem in 2 years after we did this.  I used Castrol brake fluid (about $95.00 a pint, but it never boiled or failed).

Offline Bando9

• WE ALL WANT TO GO FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Gonnamracing9
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 08:16:53 am »
I had the same proublem. I just added more springs like bandostuff said, and that worked fine.

Chance 8)
I race in the Midwest send me a mp if you are racing up hear.

Offline 3nracing97

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 10:34:21 pm »
Where in the rulebook does it say that it is legal to add the springs?  I put the extra springs around the caliper and was just looking in the rulebook and didn't see where it was allowed.  I am sure I am overlooking it but I want to know where it is so if our tech guy says something I have a leg to stand on. Thanks

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 01:52:17 am »
6. BRAKES: The brake caliper and brake disc must remain
stock, within the stock dimensions, steel thickness, location
and configurations as currently delivered by 600 Racing,
Inc. Brake pad may be replaced with any aftermarket brake
pad. Also see rule #28 (Scoops/Ductwork) for information
concerning brake ducts. Modifications to stock or aftermarket
brake pads are illegal.

Adjusting the Brakes - The Bandolero Car is equipped with
an adjustable push rod into the master cylinder. There are
three (3) holes to choose from. The top hole provides the most
leverage and will provide maximum braking force. The middle
hole (factory setting) is for the moderate leverage and the
lower hole provides the least amount of leverage for braking
force. A small spring may be installed on the clip between the
brake pads, and around to the bottom of the pads, to keep
them from rubbing the disk when not in use.

Page 70 - 71

Steve

Offline bandostuff.com

• BandoStuff.com
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 11:42:36 am »
Make  sure you are looking at the 2009 rulebook, the highlighted words were changed from 2008.
       A small spring may be installed on the clip between the
       brake pads, and around to the bottom of the pads
For all your Langacre & HANS needs-www.bandostuff.com

Offline justaoke

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 07:38:21 pm »
Hi! Just by chance, how long are those springs?