Author Topic: Install ABS sensors?  (Read 7107 times)

Offline km4hr

Install ABS sensors?
« on: August 30, 2008, 11:14:18 pm »
As part of a tech school student project I need to detect the rotating speed of the rear wheels on a Legends  car. Is it possible/practical to install ABS sensors, or other rotation sensors, on the rear axles? I think I can handle the electronics if I can just get the sensors installed. Thanks.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Install ABS sensors?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 12:56:12 am »
While of course its not legal for racing, Im sure it can be done. I know in the early to mid 90's when ABS was first being shoved down our throats, GM put rear ABS only on their pickups, and they had drum brakes, so Im sure you could get a hold of the electronics/sensors for the system from any GM dealer or boneyard
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline km4hr

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 07:41:59 am »
I don't own a truck or car that has ABS. So I can't easily see how the ABS setup is installed.

I seem to recall that ABS has some kind of wheel with teeth mounted on the axles. Sensors aimed at the wheel generate electrical pulses as the teeth pass by. The pulses are read by a computer. Is that right? I just don't recall where the wheel and sensors are located. Are they inside the brake drum? Is the toothed wheel made into the axles? Or can it be installed on the axles?

I'm thinking it may not be practical to install ABS equipment on a non-ABS rear end. Is that right?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 09:25:54 am »
You might try something like the Sigma Sport Speedometer. You can get them from your local bicycle shop for around $50.
They are digital, and work off of magnets placed on the wheel.
http://stores.sigmasportstore.com/Categories.bok?category=COMPUTERS

Hope that helps,

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Openwheeler37

• Grant Greenfield Racing
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 05:11:40 pm »
The toothed ring (or "tone ring" as some manufactures call it) is usualy place on the hub side of the axle. And yes, you are correct on the way of operation. Some systems use an odd number of teeth on the ring so there is a "dead spot" or uneven spacing between two of the teeth. This acts as a reference point for the system.

I don't own a truck or car that has ABS. So I can't easily see how the ABS setup is installed.

I seem to recall that ABS has some kind of wheel with teeth mounted on the axles. Sensors aimed at the wheel generate electrical pulses as the teeth pass by. The pulses are read by a computer. Is that right? I just don't recall where the wheel and sensors are located. Are they inside the brake drum? Is the toothed wheel made into the axles? Or can it be installed on the axles?

I'm thinking it may not be practical to install ABS equipment on a non-ABS rear end. Is that right?

Racing is a matter of spirit not strength

www.greenfieldracing37.piczo.com

You see that?....That just happened!

anything