Author Topic: Oil Leak  (Read 6369 times)

Offline Lenny

Oil Leak
« on: August 05, 2008, 09:45:02 pm »
I just completed building a engine.  When I start the engine I get oil from the case out of one of the ports just under the header pipe 2 & 3.  Tried torquing the engine down to 28 pounds but still have leak from that one area.  Any idea guys?  I ordered these heavy duty 8mm studs from APE to see if that will help.

Let me know what you think.

Offline elimn8u_43

Re: Oil Leak
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 06:14:16 pm »
What  port is the oil coming from? Could you take a picture to better show where you are talking about?

Geoff

Offline Lenny

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 08:46:36 pm »
It's coming down both ports.  I just took the head back off and getting a thicker head gasket plus purchased heavy duty studs and nuts.  Hope this does the trick.  I will take a photo and post.

Thanks   

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 09:41:07 pm »
Lenny, I'm not sure what "ports" you are talking about. There are no "ports" under the headers, just casting openings where the studs pass through.  If the oil is coming around the center area where the timing chain is located; I have seen several tensioner gaskets be installed incorrectly and the oil runs to the left side of the engine under the headers.

I do not recommend the APE studs. They do not expand enough for our application. They then either strip out the case threads or break in half. I would also only install a factory Yamaha head gasket. Cometic has had several issues in the past with their gaskets.

A pictue is worth 1000 words though...that would really help.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline Lenny

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 04:13:37 pm »
Thanks Randy

We have the oil leaked stopped.  Give me some more info on the gasket.  what are the down sides. 

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 07:21:34 pm »
Thanks Randy

We have the oil leaked stopped.  Give me some more info on the gasket.  what are the down sides. 

Cometic has had several issues over the years with their gaskets burning out the center portion of the 3 layer gasket. I had purchased 10 at one time, and had six of them blow within three races. These gaskets were installed on customer engine that I had rebuilt. Needless to say, I cost me a lot of money to repair those gaskets. If it would have been just one, I could have accepted the fact that it was a fluke, but not six of them. I sent the rest back to Cometic and have been using the factory Yamaha gasket ever since.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline Lenny

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 09:08:44 am »
Thanks alot for the good info.  You really help us out and possibly saved us in the long run. 

Take Care.

anything